ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Gerhard on February 08, 2014, 07:13:18 AM
-
After spending a couple of weeks back home and buying a huge amount of tackle to bring back to Saudi I had Friday off to go and do some testing.
We had a strong cold front blowing down the Arabian Gulf with winds pushing 40km/h during the week.
Friday morning 5:35 on the rocks was 7C with a 15km/h NW so its kinda cold...
But heck its an amazing sunrise even if the fish are all moved out to deeper water...
Anyway one of the lures I came across at FPS in Pta East was Dr Hook Twitch Lures.
I made a couple of casts and had to put this lure away. This twitch bait is simpley amazing and if I did not force myself to take it off to test other lures I would have spend to whole morning casting this lure.
The action is amazing, the amount of vibration this lure kicks up via the braid into the rod tip has to be seen and felt to be believed.
Go and have a look at what a fellow South Africa has developed
https://www.facebook.com/DRHOOKLURES?ref=stream&hc_location=stream (https://www.facebook.com/DRHOOKLURES?ref=stream&hc_location=stream)
My only problem is that I did not invest in more of them.
As soon as the water starts warming up and the fish start moving to shore this will be one of my go too lures for queen fish and King Mackerel from the rocks.
From the boat I can only imagine fish like tuna, dorado, trevaly to name a few will go balistic ... :happ:
-
Hi Gerhard,
Those Twitch Baits are amazing! I have heard of GT's loving them, as well as Cuta and Queenies. I saw on Facebook that they have recorded over 21 species so far, and counting.
Very Nice!
Cheers - RB
-
Roy,
I am waiting for the warmer water to push into the Gulf
http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/indm.html?MR=1 (http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/indm.html?MR=1)
The Cuta and Queens coming with it better be hungry cause I am gonna feed them with a Twitch... :hnthnt:
-
Hey Gerhard, Can you post a pic. I'm not on FB so cant see your link. I have been to Dr. Hook's web page but not able to find ref to twitch lures. Thx
Edit: Ok, found it on an OZ site and I see Roy is also selling them. Cool
-
Hi Martin,
They are available in SA: http://www.jigstarafrica.co.za/jigstar/shop.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=51 (http://www.jigstarafrica.co.za/jigstar/shop.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=51)
Cheers, RB
-
Now I know Jigstar carry some awesome stuff.....and they the closest of mates......
But at R360 a lure..... :shk
I'll be a broke Tjop before I catch a fooshie !
My luck.... A second cast break off
-
Now I know Jigstar carry some awesome stuff.....and they the closest of mates......
But at R360 a lure..... :shk
I'll be a broke Tjop before I catch a fooshie !
My luck.... A second cast break off
R360 is far better than R850+ for some off the other lures in the market.
You can not use the same tackle for a 1,5 oz lure to cast a 3oz lure...
It needs to be balanced and when it is you can cast as hard as you want without castoffs...
I am 6500km away as the crow flies from the tackle shops I support so cast offs become very painfull... duh
-
Gerhard I fly in to Dubai on the 14th of March if you need me to bring you some stuff.
-
Gerhard I fly in to Dubai on the 14th of March if you need me to bring you some stuff.
Thanks Mnr...
Its to get it from Dubai to Saudi thats the challange...
But I might be able to work something out... :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
-
Hi Gerhard it looks like a great lure ! Keep us posted !
-
:shk There is just no way that I will pay more than 150 bucks for a lure.
-
:shk There is just no way that I will pay more than 150 bucks for a lure.
With the R/$ it might be happening soon. :cry: duh
Quality will always come at a premium...
I am not marketing this lures just telling about my experiences.
But look at the money that we spend on reels, rods, braid, travel to destinations and then we wanna use cheap lures...
I would rather buy one quality lure a month that will produce fish that 3 cheap one's that do not produce the goods. :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Its just the way I see it...
-
Gerhard I agree with your comments and will not hesitate to pay good money for quality especially when it comes to rods and reels.
I also earn USD but to me that price is a rip-off. There is just no way that the materials used to make the lure can justify that amount of money.
My luck I will snag it on the first cast......... :cry:
Be it as it may the idea is to have fun! Enjoy them and I'm wishing you lots of :sreel: :tite
-
hehehe...
Each game has its injuries
Go have a look at the prices at lures on the following website
http://knotbigenuff.com/ (http://knotbigenuff.com/)
Hope you are sitting... w;k :hnthnt: w;k
Nope I am not buying but it gives me pretty good idea what the going rate is... :cry:
-
Eisch ! :shk
-
Bud we sell Stick baits for 220 USD and they are generally snapped up before they hit the shelves! Abalone Gammas, Motenkumarus yummy!
Gerhard PM me if you would like some suggestions for lures we stock Twitch baits as well as tons of other stuff I can have it at your door in Saudi in Three to five days.
-
Bud we sell Stick baits for 220 USD and they are generally snapped up before they hit the shelves! Abalone Gammas, Motenkumarus yummy!
Gerhard PM me if you would like some suggestions for lures we stock Twitch baits as well as tons of other stuff I can have it at your door in Saudi in Three to five days.
Thanks Cam, will be in touch...
Aramex Shop and Ship works great...
-
Yup - different strokes guys....... and yes - we all know money doesn't grow on trees.
In the example above - If Charles' 150 bucks was US$ variety, there is a lot of premier stuff available - Cam and the OA guys have lots to choose from in that price range, and we have a few as well! Not as many, but a few. I am a 'schnoep' bugger - tighter than a Duck's bottom - but I have realized that a latest greatest Stella on the Best Popping rod in the world matched with the cheapest braid, leader and lure will end in tears. Particularly when its cost me an arm, leg and kidney to get to that top destination. A trophy GT swimming away with crap in its mouth....... lets not go there!
If the 150 bucks is in ZA terms........ it changes the program entirely. The lure materials constitute a quality portion (and there are different qualities of everything from plumbing pipes to aeroplanes - the choice lies with the buyer), but the design elements and time required by the designer to get the required end product to deliver the way HE WANTS it to deliver, particularly if he is a boutique manufacturer (they build product in 10's or maybe hundreds.......and sometimes a thousand or 2 max!) once those costs are recovered, he expects a profit. Period. That is the way of life. That is they way it should be - he who puts in the hard yards......deserves the gold.
Now, the lure suddenly becomes popular and a few companies contract Chinese Suppliers with a few copies of the original, and 6 months later the flood of "that particular lure" are on the shelves of favourite tackle stores everywhere........ for R149.99 or so? Lures that actually "cost $3-4 per lure" max.)
We are exposed to many of these Asian "gems" and we also have loads of customers who have the real thing and the copy....... and thank heavens the real thing performs they way it was designed for! Going back to materials....... ? Quality - WHEN YOU ARE ON A BIG FISH - it has no substitute! The difference between 300lb QUALITY Stainless Steel through-wire..... and sort of like steel through wire...... is 300lb and tears!
Different strokes folks....... Homie? Want to come and have a look at my Hardy Split Cane's, Thomas & Thomas Horizens, Abel Supers, Ross Reels, Bauer Reels, and so it goes on........ nope, wasn't about money - it was about the BEST I could invest in at each 'point" in my life. Most of my Fly gear "hoarding" started 20 years ago - ask MC? All pristine (and used properly every chance I get) but back then I think I paid around 5 ZA grand for an Abel Super 10?
Long and short. Purchase a top-end Porsche, chip it for fearsome behaviour...... and then go look for the cheapest tyres you can find. If you are going to do things....... do them wisely.
This is not about I, I , I, Me Me Me...... I have a few Grizzly Capes and and and.
Anyway, with Dr Hook Twitch Baits - I have only lately been involved with colour, action and a bunch of other stuff (yes, Hilton lives in Perth and designs these lures) and we
-
Lol...
Never once doubted that its quality Roy ! Of that im sure !
My issue is my luck.... wont be the 1st time ive lost the most expensive lure on my 1st cast !!!!!
-
Lol...
Never once doubted that its quality Roy ! Of that im sure !
My issue is my luck.... wont be the 1st time ive lost the most expensive lure on my 1st cast !!!!!
Read the knots tutorials bud :hehe:
-
Eish - thanks Telkom - got cut off
As I was saying...... Hilton is in the RED by almost $400K in the development process of these Twitch Baits, for what is becoming a top producing lure. Well now, I think we should all support Hilton. He is a SAFFA like the rest of us chirping here. Living in Australia. Don't support him for being a SAFFA - support him for the frikken AWESOME lures he has developed! If you wait for the Chinese copies....... ?
I would hope that anglers who take this for real..... will actually take this for real.
Cheers - RB
-
Cam Mundy is......... ummmmmm.... Right! 100% right! Homie - go read buddy!!!!! LoL! You can be a Fly-guy and a fisherman at the same time..... you just have to go back to the basics. You can do both, but have to modulate what you say....... and how you say it. Lol - teasing ..... but equalisation is necessary! Yes - us jiggers & poppers are "neanderthals" - but we do have the means to catch fish..... quickly..... and release them..... quickly.
I am most stoked when I get a quality fish on my Thomas & Thomas 12wt...... but I'm not doing any favours for the fish. He's tired when I release him...... that is what worries me.
-
One thing I am learning the hard way is to go heavier on braid and leader...
You maybe loose 5 yards in distance but no cast offs.
I have 80lbs Saltiga braid on the Stella 14k and I have more than enough confidence to really bend the rod and make the 3oz lure fly...
On the Sustain 5K the 25lbs works great with 1.5oz lures and I really bend the rod now and get a spoon out way over 100m...
-
All of us learn.
Go catch fish folks...... I'm overdue - Go...Go Go Go!!!!!!
-
Great post Roy and Cam ! (clap)
-
When I was 20 bought a gold GTS spent R1000 on mags whole package cost R6300. Said I would never pay R10000 on a car. Check the exchange rate first time I went to the UK pound cost 80c. The rand is killing us and I must say some of the Jigstar kit is expensive but it is top quality and really lasts well.
-
The water is still 18,5C at the moment with only mullet and a few needle scale queenfish around...
That did not prevent me to take the BH Nano 8ft popping rod for a spin.
The 130g Twitch bait was launched to see how it performs...
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/image_zps6adfd9fb.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/Fishing/image_zps6adfd9fb.jpg.html)
Going Going.... Gone!!
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/image_zpsf76e5a02.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/Fishing/image_zpsf76e5a02.jpg.html)
Another launch...
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/image_zps78543b43.jpg) (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Jakkals/media/Fishing/image_zps78543b43.jpg.html)
The Twitch bait swim just as well as his smaller brother and it cast well on the 8ft rod.
I can see once the queen fish are back playing with this setup and having a bit of "light tackle" fun... lol
The Twitch bait makes a huge splash on contact with the water and I like that... I have had a bunch of fish take other lures due to a big splash attracting them and hitting the lure hard and fast.
The Twitch bait has a nice wobble action while its sinking. I like this a lot as the bait is never without motion and the fish will surely hammer it...
Now its another 3 - 4 weeks for the warmer water from the Indian Ocean to push into the Arabian Gulf and bringing the game fish with it...