ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: xtc on January 17, 2014, 03:46:09 PM
-
Mostly fish alone so don't often take to many photo's - with some family around for the festive season managed to get in a few pics - all fish caught on top water lure and in our local rivers - not to much better than watching top waters being stalked and smashed by grunter and cob
-
.
-
.
-
.
-
.
-
.
-
awesome stuff :tkx:
-
so jealous! :envy
-
Awesome fish!! :envy What lure where you using?
-
:udman: Great fish! :envy As HD asked what lure and may I add what action you used for the cob?
:clfoto:
-
thank you - appreciated - all on the z claw - been using them flat out for 4 years or so now - initially was only for the grunter but over time its probably got 9 or 10 river species - even mullet have their days when they whack it
-
its a walk the dog type lure - can fish it slowly or pretty fast - to be honest I don't fish one speed and vary it up all day - as weird as it sounds on the right day you cant reel the lure fast enough for the grunter - think predator plug speed
the cob pic above - a smallish grunter was busy having a go when the cob came from no where and had an almighty smack at the lure, maybe 10m away from me - it missed though, but second short cast back and vas it went
the cob in my avatar - also same lure, you can see it hanging from its mouth - 99cm, probably 9 -10kg I guess
-
(clap) Nice fish!
-
nice fish XTC :win: , which river were u fishing...surely not Gonube ?
-
I am going to give your old hunting grounds (Swarties) a go tomorrow am. Any tips?
-
thank you - appreciated - all on the z claw - been using them flat out for 4 years or so now - initially was only for the grunter but over time its probably got 9 or 10 river species - even mullet have their days when they whack it
Is that the zenith z-claw bass lure..?Where can one buy some..? :dunno: :hnthnt:
-
awesome fish, nothing beats a fish smashing a topwater lure!!
-
Great catches XTC :win:
-
Great fishing xtc
I've had the pleasure of fishing with xtc and his a serious master of the claw (clap)
-
Is that the zenith z-claw bass lure..?Where can one buy some..? :dunno: :hnthnt:
I also want to know and what size is the lure? How about posting a photo of the lure, please?
-
Is that the zenith z-claw bass lure..?Where can one buy some..? :dunno: :hnthnt:
I also want to know and what size is the lure? How about posting a photo of the lure, please?
:corrct: Please post.
-
Fantastic catches xtc... on SURFACE LURE!!!! WOW!!! :+ cred:
-
howzit - apologies was out fishing today - yes its the zenith z claw - you get I think 4 sizes - the two I use are about 20grams and the other pretty much an ounce - the other 2 sizes are bigger - will post the SA contact details in a bit
poenskop - did you go out? was supposed to be in PE today - but now only coming through tomorrow - miss swartkops, the start of the whole grunter hunting thing for me - fantastic river that
-
Very nice well done and :+ cred: for sharing
-
howzit - apologies was out fishing today - yes its the zenith z claw - you get I think 4 sizes - the two I use are about 20grams and the other pretty much an ounce - the other 2 sizes are bigger - will post the SA contact details in a bit
poenskop - did you go out? was supposed to be in PE today - but now only coming through tomorrow - miss swartkops, the start of the whole grunter hunting thing for me - fantastic river that
Thanks for the info. :+ cred:
-
here is one of the ones from yesterday - plus a pic of a z claw
-
Awesome stuff XTC. Do you rig single or treble hooks?
-
over the past few years have tried every conceivable option re hooks - out the box works perfectly - some of the finer tuning ends up working well on one species and terrible on others - also sometimes messing around to much just makes one start doubting and that I find loses more fish than hooks - I release everything and those ... grunter spines are bloody sharp, so if I change it up it relates more to that than improving hook up rates - squashing the barbs probably easiest way to achieve same result
-
That is a beautiful Grunter and it must have been an awesome sight when it took the lure. (clap)
-
Some excellent catches there Curt !!
Sure you are missing those impromptu sessions with Chris on Swarries ..
Seeing you hauling yr boat used to make me GREEN .
Really hoping to make a comeback this year - Feb will be 3 years since last I wet a line, SACRILEGE !!!!
-
great catches...thanks for the info on the lure..will appreciate if you could tell us where can one find these and cost maby :dunno: ...?
Some excellent catches there Curt !!
Sure you are missing those impromptu sessions with Chris on Swarries ..
Seeing you hauling yr boat used to make me GREEN .
Really hoping to make a comeback this year - Feb will be 3 years since last I wet a line, SACRILEGE !!!!
:shk ...I'd be in a mental institution... :blush: I start going :craz: after 3 weeks... :cnfzd
-
thanks guys -
Ja hell those grunter are great fun on top water - sometimes sneaky sometimes unbelievably aggressive - my favourite fish to target by far -
haha abaddon - that's way to long - think I must bring you those mags back so you can get into it again - uv got more tackle than commercial marine!! - ja when the grunter thing started I pretty much fished on my own mostly, and with tyrrel a member here - haha I was still dumb enough at the time to not believe everyone that grunter on top waters was a fluke - but I sure as hell do miss those swartkops sessions with him, not so impromptu though, I think he and I pretty much went daily come hail, wind, rain whatever - bloody good times - we've also had a few lekke sessions this side as well
Almost on way to PE - will post Rolfe's details in a few minutes or when I get back - his website is down for the moment -
-
Some awesome catches there Curt... (clap)
:+ cred: for sharing your info!
-
howzit - apologies was out fishing today - yes its the zenith z claw - you get I think 4 sizes - the two I use are about 20grams and the other pretty much an ounce - the other 2 sizes are bigger - will post the SA contact details in a bit
poenskop - did you go out? was supposed to be in PE today - but now only coming through tomorrow - miss swartkops, the start of the whole grunter hunting thing for me - fantastic river that
My ducky is giving me endless problems at the moment so I did not make out onto the water. I need to redo the pontoons or get me a small cathedral hull. :hnthnt:
-
Brilliant fish xtc :envy
-
wow man !!! thanks for sharing .
-
Awesome stuff XTC (clap) (clap) thanks for sharing
-
Hi there - thank you guys appreciated
Rolfe's contact details are luremaniac@gmail.com - apologies for delay in posting but been in PE for a few days -
-
Nice catches well done. (clap)
-
Hi Curt, looks like you have been having some great fun on the topwater lures in the estuaries! Great stuff, well done! That has to be some of the best fun fishing that one can do.
-
l hooker and tommo - thanks guys
@tommo - initially and especially in swartkops it was hard to see exactly how the grunter were approaching / reacting to the lure - keeping a careful eye on the lure was often the only hint something was there, other than obviously when you went vas - in East London surrounds I have found a few places that often has cleaner water and now one can see exactly whats up - they often follow that lure for way way longer than one would think - you can make the grunter zig and zag with the lure as you dog walk it - it is mind blowing to watch, especially when its 4 or 5 all doing the same thing at the same time - other days while retrieving you can see the grunter come flying from 10m left or right of the lure and they absolutely smack it at full pace - very often there is an almighty commotion at your lure (and your brain is thinking career best fish) and when you hook him its a grunter no bigger than 40cm - the aggression is hard to believe -I have changed a lot of my thinking towards grunter and top waters since those earlier swartkops days - but there is one thing for sure, its is massively exciting, they are incredible fish to target that way - especially in clean water when you see every move they make clear as day
haha last year while my girlfriend was at the dr's I quickly popped down to the river to find it clear as gin - a guy and his family were sitting in their car on the bank behind and higher than me - looking down they could see nicely - after a few minutes the guy jumped and came running over - "goeie zxxxzz oom, kan jy sien hoe volg daai visse jou lure" - next thing he was on his phone and as I was leaving his mates arrived with their prawns and rods - haha even in the clear water they camouflage themselves against the sand very well and you wont even know they there, till they start chasing down lures
-
Sounds Awesome Curt! I might have to come visit sometime...
-
Well done on some great catches ... (clap)