ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: Ziggy on January 13, 2014, 10:32:34 AM
-
5 days in the Berg – but only two days of fishing…….the rest was swimming, hiking and general jorling and parking off
Every year our we camp at Cobham with a group of friends – this year there were about 40 of us. See the first pic of our communal kitchen and rain shelter which is a mix of gazebos and tarps (one year we hired a large marquee…that was cool!). All the tents you see were from our group…we generally “colonise” Cobham the first week of each year.
For those who know the place, you will agree that the walks, swimming pools and views are all stunning. See the landscape pic.
-
The river is pretty useless for fishing – this year I caught 5 fish on one evening outing – the largest being about 6cm.
-
However, a number of youngsters wanted to learn about trout fishing. Being the only angler in the group, I took it upon myself to do some instructing. We fished the Underberg/Himeville Trout Fishing Club trophy dam with some great results. On day one (3 hours of fishing befire the heat became unbearable) we caught 2 x 1.8 kg, 1 x 2.2 kg, 1 x 2.6 kg 1 x 2.8 kg. On the second day (started early morning and fished until the heat was unbearable) we caught 1 x stockie, 1 x 1.8 kg, 1 x 2.4 kg, 1 x 2.8 kg, 1 x 3.1 kg.
-
The only fly that worked was an olive bead head woolly bugger – retrieved slowly on the bottom in the deepest parts of the dam. Fishing with beginners is a mission! The first problem is casting….so I spent most of my time casting and then handing the rod over to the youngsters to retrieve and catch. One of them learnt pretty well and he took over the casting. Each took a fish in rotation – so no matter who cast or retrieved, there was a rota for landing fish. This way they all landed fish.
-
The fishing sessions were not without disasters! Two rods broke. The first was my treasured Loomis that I have had since 1992. One of the larger fish went under the boat and the youngster tried to pull it up at a ridiculous angle…before he heard my warning shout, the rod snapped. The second rod (Explorer 4 piece) had its top section snap in half during a cast – I did not see the cast, so I am not sure what exactly happened.
Both can be repaired - but hate fishing with repaired rods……so clearly an urge for some Tackle Addiction has struck….and I better do something about it before the prices sky rocket!
-
Of course there was a “surprise” 60th birthday party for me at the campsite – with a few songs specially composed for me – I cooked a large lamb potjie and baked some camp ciabatta bread which disappeared pretty fast! We also made a potjie bread
-
Happy Belated Ziggs !!
Looks like an awesome trip !!
:+ cred: for helping the youn-uns !
-
looks like you had a wonderful time, sorry about the rod :-(
-
Mouth watering stuff
-
How lekker does that potjie bread look :shk :shk
Thanks for the report Ziggy!!
-
Lekker man, Lekker. Thanks for sharing
-
:cgrts: Ziggy thanks for the report and a belated :hpybthd:, at least there is a banterer thats older than me :hyst: (clap)
-
Nice report Ziggs! Great pics!
-
Great report Ziggy - was that Ringstead? Trout look in good condition - must have come from a good hatchery :hnthnt:
-
Great report Ziggy and thanks for sharing. (clap) (clap) Man that Grub looks great.
-
Nice one Ziggy. Lekker report and pics.
-
Great report Ziggy - was that Ringstead? Trout look in good condition - must have come from a good hatchery :hnthnt:
Correct - Ringstead. A couple of the fish had some small gashes in them - I presume from cormorant attacks?
-
Nice report, fishing, bread making and showing the laaites how its done Ziggy (clap) :+ cred:
-
Thanks for a great report back Ziggy, including the pics.
:+ cred: For taking the time out with the youngsters.
Also a belated :hpybthd: 60 is a special one, glad you could spend it with the people that are special in your life. :clwn
BTW, I'm nominating the post for post of the month.
-
Thanks for a great report back Ziggy, including the pics.
:+ cred: For taking the time out with the youngsters.
Also a belated :hpybthd: 60 is a special one, glad you could spend it with the people that are special in your life. :clwn
BTW, I'm nominating the post for post of the month.
Second this :corrct:
-
Ziggy happy belated 60 birthday and thanks for a great report (clap)
-
Thanks for a great report back Ziggy, including the pics.
:+ cred: For taking the time out with the youngsters.
Also a belated :hpybthd: 60 is a special one, glad you could spend it with the people that are special in your life. :clwn
BTW, I'm nominating the post for post of the month.
Second this :corrct:
I third this :+ cred: for the great post and helping the Laaities :hpybthd: Ballie :hyst:
-
Nice report Ziggy! Some good fish there, you are quite the teacher mate!! (clap)
-
Nice report Ziggy! Some good fish there, you are quite the teacher mate!! (clap)
easy to get good fish in a trophy dam - especially when it was fishing so well. I looked at the catch returns and saw that lots of good fish had come out in the few previous days.
In the hot conditions good fishing was only in the early morning and evening.
I decided that I would prefer the young ones to expereince good fishing, so I never landed one fish - but it was a pleasure to see the young ones catching