ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

OFFSHORE ANGLING => Boat Tech => Topic started by: jaenswart on December 30, 2013, 12:50:59 PM

Title: marine batteries
Post by: jaenswart on December 30, 2013, 12:50:59 PM
Hey guys,

both my batteries on Blackie is shot (Willard 618/619)

I need to replace. Can anybody recommend the best batteries for boats these days?

Am I suppose to go deep cycle now?

The guys at battery centre says I should go Raylite (R1600 for the pair).

I've seen elseware people recommending Optima, Deltec US Battery etc...


What is your opinion?
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: Chigger on December 30, 2013, 12:56:50 PM
I have had some good use from my Deltec 105ah batteries - one must of had over 200 charges and still going 6 years later. I bought some US batteries on recomondation, but I don't enjoy the fact that they are not a sealed battery and you have to keep an eye on the water level, this isnt always easy on a boat.
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: jaenswart on December 30, 2013, 12:59:56 PM
I have had some good use from my Deltec 105ah batteries - one must of had over 200 charges and still going 6 years later. I bought some US batteries on recomondation, but I don't enjoy the fact that they are not a sealed battery and you have to keep an eye on the water level, this isn't always easy on a boat.

Those are both deep cycle right ??

I have deep cycles on the trailer of the big boat, for the winch...but I thought boat batteries are supposed to be normal batteries because of cranking power?
but then again I'm totally clueless these days
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: Chigger on December 30, 2013, 01:07:34 PM
Yip both deep cycle, I use them for main motor and trolling motor, and interchange them regularly without any issues and many cranks per day (20 or 30) on a 125Hp.
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: jaenswart on December 30, 2013, 01:15:47 PM
Yip both deep cycle, I use them for main motor and trolling motor, and interchange them regularly without any issues and many cranks per day (20 or 30) on a 125Hp.
cool then I'll also go deep cycle, seeing I want to beef up some electronics and also fit a trolling motor.
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: Peter Gordon on December 30, 2013, 04:44:37 PM
Jaen, Daltec are brilliant batteries, that would be my recommendation
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: jaenswart on December 30, 2013, 04:47:31 PM
Just went for a drive....the ONLY deep cycle batteries that fit is the Raylite RR1 solar battery. Not sure if I should go for them (R870 a piece)

Also looked at the normal cranking Energiser Premium at R750 a piece...will most likely go with that.

My battery boxes are my biggest issue it seems.
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: dodger on December 30, 2013, 06:53:25 PM
definitely a deep cycle battery is what you should get Deltec are good units, l just bought a Deltec 70 a/h for my Pajero for R1100.00 which was a good price
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: Toppie on December 30, 2013, 07:02:25 PM
Jaen, some say these are good Marine batteries.
http://www.batteriesonline.co.za/optima-blue-top-dc5-5-battery/ (http://www.batteriesonline.co.za/optima-blue-top-dc5-5-battery/)
 

 
 
Title: Re: marine batteries
Post by: jaenswart on December 30, 2013, 09:08:08 PM
Jaen, some say these are good Marine batteries.
http://www.batteriesonline.co.za/optima-blue-top-dc5-5-battery/ (http://www.batteriesonline.co.za/optima-blue-top-dc5-5-battery/)
 

 
 
the best but at 5000 for the small blue cap a bit out of my league.  And it weighs 26kg
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal