ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: kevf on December 29, 2013, 03:59:54 PM
-
Any recommendations for a pouch out there that's designed for carrying spoons, plugs etc(1-3oz size). at the moment I've got them in a plastic tackle box and whether they on their own or more than one in each compartment there is a lot of scuffing happening, I've tried putting them in my trace pouch but the dimensions are wrong
:tkx:
-
Hi Kev!
Ran into this interesting lure pouch while tackle-hunting yesterday, and thought of you! Maybe you could use one of these!
Mike
-
Surely that will also scuff the lures. unless you put a lining of some sort inside of the pipes
-
Kev i agree with you....i have thousands of rands worth of iron candy and other brands that all come at great cost....i have decided to keep the plastic tackle boxes but i individually wrap spoons that are not currently in use. They seem to store nicely. i also carry one box with a selection of a few spoons in it that are unwrapped. Should i lose one that is working, i just find a wrapped replacement of the same spoon....brand new! I wrap them in cling wrap!
-
Guys, don't worry about scuffs and little marks on the lures! Fish can't see them! duh
Actually, my most scuffed lures are the ones that produce!
-
The only scuff marks on my spoons are from the fishers teeth :crzy
-
Only if they been scuffed by fish teeth john :hnthnt:
I use a lever arch file with closed cell foam "pages" in it
Push hooks into foam whole folder fits into a waterproof stuff bag
I cut the folder a bit smaller
-
I use this waist pouch from Sensation Pro Series that I got from Basil Manning for less than R250. It takes 12 spoons/plugs inside a concertina type plastic divider as well as 4 CID shiverstick or slimbait lures (in their original plastic boxes) with ease. There is also a pouch for your smartphone, as well as another pouch for small items such as a roll of fluorocarbon leader, fishing permit, split rings and swivels, kinky wire, LED headlamp, some snacks, bananas etc. etc. It also has a holster for your split-ring pliers. I attach my ORI tagging kit on the waist belt. All you need to take along for a decent spinning session.
I love this waist pouch and run most mornings up to 5 km's along the beach to my spinning spots. There are some slight wear on the lures due to the movement inside the pouch during running, but who cares? They take a much bigger hammering against the rocks. I spray some silicon spray once a week on the outside of pouch and the zips to keep the material and zips well conditioned. This pouch, my spinning rod and reel is all I need to go and explore every morning. I can recommend this product.
-
Its called the "Sensation Surf Spin" on the Basil Manning web site. The photo is a bit incorrect, because mine got two seperate pouches with zips. Only one zip is visible on the one in the picture.
-
That item looks like the bomb! Nice description, too!
-
I have tried a good few things, and have settled for a combination of a couple things.
I see you are looking at carrying spoons and plugs - exactly what I carry as well as some poppers, stick baits, rapalas etc.
I have found the double sided boxes work perfectly for spoons and some plugs. one each in a compartment (can do 2 if you want), and 14 compartments per box. I can fit 2-3 of these boxes easily in the small bag I use.
Once i am throwing and changing lures every so often, I like to have immediate access to any one of them, and taking out the box, opening etc was an ache, so I "invented" a solution to this. I take the pvc boxes some lures come in, cut off the one end, and glue 5 or 6 of them together so they stand up, side by side, open top up. This then holds lures temporarily without tangles, for immediate access. I do the same on my boat.
I keep to the smallest bag possible to keep me mobile.
-
Steenie is right! The Sensation Surf Spin is the bomb! Just be aware that there are 2 models - the one is Steenie's picture (as he mentioned) is the older model, but Sensation have the same product code for both!!! The code they use is 300102.
The newer model has the same number, so be sure that you get the one with the two pouches and - most importantly - the front pouch has the plastic "concertina" lure holders!
-
thats a lovly looking pouch
-
Thats the one Torpedo Jack - some nice photos! It was to late at night to go and fetch my own pouch out of the garage to take proper photos! But yes, I have the exact same model as you!
-
Here is mine
-
Slimbaits, shiversticks and bucktail
-
Well, to be fair, I also had no time to take photos! I just picked up the images off lighttackle.coza.
Mike
-
Steenie, looking at your pics, do the hooks not hook up on the opposing side or eachother?
-
Hi, yes quite frequent, especially when you run with the pouch like me on the beach. But that is a small nuisance for me, when contrasted against the mobility and functionality that the pouch brings to my style of fishing. It is easy to identify the culprit hook when one opens the pouch.
-
bomb them in hook-first?
I have made my holders tall enough to take the entire lure, the hook holds on to the lip..
I also take out whatever is never being used. you know the ones you buy and just never use. those ones.
-
I struggle a bit to grab the smaller lures (like the iron candies) with my fingers if the hooks face to the bottom, but it will work well for the plugs and any long lures.
Hahaha - I frequently need to remove dormant lures as you say!
-
Thanks to you guys I went out and got the sensation lure bag :blush: ...
Brilliant quality and made to last. One can also remove the lure 'trays' if needed for whatever reason.
-
Hey Shivaan!
Congrats on your new tackle purchase! Those bags run around the R300-00 mark here in Pta. Would you mind telling me what you paid, and from where?
-
Got it for R288 at Fishermans warehouse in Durban. Not much of a difference from pta
-
Thanks! I wanted to be sure I was not ripped off! Enjoy your pouch, and send us some catch reports!
-
Shot TJ. Will do so if i catch something lol!
-
Steenie and TJ that's exactly what I'm looking for, looks ideal
-
And for those wondering what size lure the pouch can hold, it takes a 3oz GT icecream plug with ease
-
Thanks, Shivaan!(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/Smileys/goodsmiles/ayoba.gif)
-
I struggle a bit to grab the smaller lures (like the iron candies) with my fingers if the hooks face to the bottom, but it will work well for the plugs and any long lures.
Hahaha - I frequently need to remove dormant lures as you say!
if they are deep enough, then hook the hook over the top lip of the holder....
if they are not deep enough, the business end of the lure will at least be at the bottom.