ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: SAfish on December 29, 2013, 08:47:21 AM
-
My neighbour bought all the furniture from a lady who moved to Canada and found a fly fishing rod and reel with all the goods. He does not fish and asked me if it is any good. I know nothing about these things and thought I'll asked you guys.
The rod is a two piece Stealth 9056 rod (9ft 5/6 wt) and the reel is a Stealth 4/6. It is filled with line but I don't know the details. The rod comes with a cloth bag and green tube and the reel has got a neoprene bag. Everything is in a very good condition.
I thought of buying it for myself because I always wanted to try fly fishing but it is too light for saltwater fishing. What is it worth and would anyone be interested in buying it?
-
If there is no model mentioned on the rod or tube ( e.g. Deep Red, Magnum, Bomber, Infinity etc. it is probably one of the early entry level rods, possibly a starter kit combo looking at the reel ( 4/6 ).
It would be ideal for someone starting out f/f and wants to target trout, yellows and bass, although a 6 or 7 # would be better for bass.
It would definitely be far too light for estuary fishing, where a 7# is your minimum, ( I prefer a 9# ).
Value wise, without actually seeing the rig, I would be conservative at R 500 - R 700.
Please don't take this as "gospel" as there are a lot of assumptions in my reasoning above :blush: :-)
-
Thanks Herman, I will ask the guy to look and see if he can find a model name on the rod.
-
It can be fine for salt depending on where you are fishing. If you are only catching leeries up to a max of 50cm you should be fine as long as you realise that one day you will be smashed up by a beast leerie.
-
It is an entry level rod however; I have fished a 3/4wt version on the holsloot once and actually quite liked it. Its kind of like what the the Shimano Exage is to the rock and surf world; far from the best but definitely not a cheap floppy combo rod. As long as you don't go into fly fishing competitively or get really seriously into it it will serve you well. It will easily cast a full fly line.
-
Interesting, thanks David.
-
Plenty I do on google.. Includes this piece of evidence http://www.junkmail.co.za/sports/angling/gauteng/johannesburg/brand-new-9graphite-stealth-9056-fly-rod-for-sale-22329801 (http://www.junkmail.co.za/sports/angling/gauteng/johannesburg/brand-new-9graphite-stealth-9056-fly-rod-for-sale-22329801)
-
Thanks Jean. I will relay all the info to my neighbour and let him decide if he wants to keep it or sell it. He also said he might take up fishing. (clap)
-
He also said he might take up fishing. (clap)
convince him by taking him with you. There is nothing wrong with targeting leeries on 6 weight
-
He also said he might take up fishing. (clap)
[/quote]
Herman, here is the perfect opportunity to get him "hooked". w;k