ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Monster on December 13, 2013, 10:52:10 AM

Title: Braid Lb
Post by: Monster on December 13, 2013, 10:52:10 AM
Hi Gents
I have two setups. The first is a Posidon ultra light with a Stradic 5000FJ and 20Lb fire line, the second is a Shimano Aerocast with an exeller 4500 and 8lb fire line. The 8lb fire line seems flimsy. I tied a bemini twist in it and used the knot specefied on the forum with a 20lb leader. While I was tigtening the line the braid snapped, should I consider increasing the braid to 20lb fire line. I still have a full spool
Title: Re: Braid Lb
Post by: WJ on December 13, 2013, 10:58:06 AM
Personally I would not go lighter than 12lb on a setup like that. 8lb is awesome for the rivers, but in the sea you may want that extra 4lb's when a fish is gunning for a rocky outcrop
Title: Re: Braid Lb
Post by: Sylvester on December 13, 2013, 11:03:00 AM
I have the 11lb Fireline on a 2500 size Grinder....it is awesome stuff and tough as nails!!! Go a bit heavier, may be just what you need!
Title: Re: Braid Lb
Post by: REEFMAN on December 13, 2013, 01:02:29 PM
What they said...
I don't spin with less than 20lb braid in the Surf, unless I'm using dropshot techniques with 7 and 8 ft rods.

Also, change over to using Braid leaders, it's a mission to start off with, but once done, it will change your spinning experience totally. No more snap-offs on the cast!
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15598.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15598.0)
Title: Re: Braid Lb
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 13, 2013, 01:23:59 PM
Love fishing braid, but in the surf I dont fish lighter than 20lb, My penn fierce 5000 is loaded with 20lb. I use 6-10 lb in freshwater and saltwater estuaries.
Title: Re: Braid Lb
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 13, 2013, 01:24:23 PM
What they said...
I don't spin with less than 20lb braid in the Surf, unless I'm using dropshot techniques with 7 and 8 ft rods.

Also, change over to using Braid leaders, it's a mission to start off with, but once done, it will change your spinning experience totally. No more snap-offs on the Cast!
Agreed 100%
Title: Re: Braid Lb
Post by: Monster on December 13, 2013, 03:30:59 PM
Thanks guys!
Title: Re: Braid Lb
Post by: Cam Mundy on December 14, 2013, 10:54:41 AM
Look up a knot called a slim beauty its far more effective than a bimini connection in light braids 8lbs is a bit light in the pants but doable there are beneifits to fishing super light as well  extra casting distance ect.

This is the one time that I would advocate a leader all the way to the spool to prevent bust offs while casting with 8lb I would go with a ten pound leader to keep everything light you could add a 20lb bite leader if things are a bit rocky.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal