ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Fly tying => Topic started by: Homie on December 11, 2013, 05:56:28 PM

Title: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Homie on December 11, 2013, 05:56:28 PM
Ive been starting to get really frustrated with my Fly-tying.

Been using the dining table as space is an issue at home... and the missus has not been impressed with my kit lying all over.
Also, it was getting really annoying when you have to keep hunting for your scissors, needle of whip finish tool, especially if you already added a drop of cement ! duh

After a look around the net, I decided a Fly-Tying Station was in order ! a little desk where everything has its own space, so you dont have to keep hunting for them !

Now i initially wanted to do this in oak... but couldnt source any for under 2k  :shk so Pine it was

After putting pencil to paper, this was the end design
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/s720x720/1462968_10151757478871567_797085964_n.jpg)

Once I was happy, the real work began ! And thirsty work it was ! :hehe:

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q77/s720x720/1487269_10151757479126567_1740492899_n.jpg)

Now I didnt have a router... but hey... a Charou het a plan ! :crzy

I used a spade bit to make a hole, then a rasp bit attached to my drill press and routed out the channel

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q85/s720x720/1476158_10151757479491567_2016513817_n.jpg)

Assembly

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q73/s720x720/1424354_10151757479671567_1468561783_n.jpg)

Varnishing

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q71/s720x720/1004926_10151757481111567_140853035_n.jpg)

Finally Done !
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q72/s720x720/1491660_10151757484776567_765933821_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/1459331_10151757485241567_2028630860_n.jpg)

Everything in its place !
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/s720x720/1488309_10151757483121567_2063681114_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1465296_10151757483366567_1687823866_n.jpg)

If needed, it can take 44 spools, 6 grip bead bottles and has space for head cement bottles, uv light etc in cut-out holes. you can stack 12-14 hook boxes on the same shelf. Dubbin containers are stored below
The box where the vice attaches stores extra everyday tying material, or the vice itself for storage. I cut and glued champagne corks pieces together and stuck them on each arm to make tying easier... needles bodkins etc
The ipad hooks on to follow SBS on the net or on the downloaded books.

I want to attach a lamp to it that will fit next to the vice with an led downlighter.

Looking forward to tying the 1st fly !
 :yipee:
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Rory on December 11, 2013, 06:19:01 PM
Awesome Homes!
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: icstuff on December 11, 2013, 06:20:56 PM
Homie nice going!
Hope you get many hours of joy out of it!
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: isivuba on December 11, 2013, 06:25:38 PM
Freaking awesome Homes  :+ cred:
Nominated for post of the month  :rck"
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: dodger on December 11, 2013, 06:51:55 PM
nicely done Homie, I agree on post of the month, you have hidden talents  :hehe:
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: MIKE PIKE on December 11, 2013, 07:09:11 PM
 (clap) ... nice one Homes , looks very professional... :win: ... :FST: .
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Ziggy on December 11, 2013, 07:10:49 PM
Homie - when you next come to Durban - please come and sort out my fly tying "station". I use my desk (where I am supposed to be working to earn my daily bread) - but it does not take long to transform itself - see the before and after pics.....I am convinced that there are elves in my house that come and do this.


by the way, I have to work sitting on the couch or in the kitchen
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Homie on December 11, 2013, 07:15:21 PM
Thanks Guys !

Ziggs.. thats exactly what I was faced with ! having to dig under packets of material to find stuff !
The good thing about this desk, you can put it on top of anything ! The pictures here are taken on a hedge, so its not that heavy, but may be a bit heavy for the lap, a little bar stool would work fine in front of the couch, and the height of the vice is adjustable.
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Homie on December 11, 2013, 07:28:21 PM
(clap) ... nice one Homes , looks very professional... :win: ... :FST: .

Not bad for someone that never did woodwork hey !
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: jaenswart on December 11, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
Your getting my vote for post of the month. But I'm taking cred for not making me one
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Ettienne on December 11, 2013, 09:19:41 PM
 :cgrts: Lekker man Lekker, now where do i place my order? :hnthnt:
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Toppie on December 11, 2013, 09:43:44 PM
Homes very nice except I wouldn't have put it on the hedge outside going to be cold working there in winter.
 
You should consider making furniture?
 
@ Ziggy, my office looks like a tackle den!
 
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Ziggy on December 11, 2013, 09:58:00 PM

 
@ Ziggy, my office looks like a tackle den!





I did not take pics of the rest of my "office"! its a jungle of rods and tackle - not to mention fishing books


@homie -  I think I would still make a mess of that tying station within 5 minutes.....my experience is that you create a place for everything so that you will always find it - but the challenge is actually putting it back in that place!
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: bassbug on December 11, 2013, 10:39:37 PM
tying flies also makes one thirsty, not too late for a cup holder  :hehe: 
 
 
 
well constructed, hope you have many hours of tying pleasure
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: BigG on December 11, 2013, 11:18:20 PM
Very smart, good job
But it's too organized, i prefer the clutter  :hehe:
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: REEFMAN on December 12, 2013, 07:04:45 AM
Fantastic, well done Homes!  (clap)
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Marthin on December 12, 2013, 07:11:33 AM
Very very nice!!!
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Lichia amia on December 12, 2013, 07:22:44 AM
Geeeeee Homes  (clap)
 
Job well done  :corrct:
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: super_daav on December 12, 2013, 08:13:55 AM
Thats brilliant Homes! Been meaning to make something similiar to this for awhile now!! My stuff is getting some attention lately.


I use a combination of traces pouches like this [size=78%]http://www.kingfisher.co.za/showprod.php?prod_id=1104&cat_id=53[/size] and slightly larger to store most of my items excluding thread, beads, bucktails etc. So far 2 used and pretty full but easy to flip through and get what you need.


Also refined my method in that I aim to be more production like and then only take what I need out for less clutter.


The joys...
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 12, 2013, 08:30:56 AM
Flipping awesome Homes!
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 13, 2013, 02:50:56 PM
Sheizen Homes  :shk Not only are you a natural fly tier, but a clever craftsman as well. (clap) (clap).

You have my vote for post of the month as well as  :+ cred:.

You could actually put those stations into production and sell them to the retailers. w;k
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: John F on December 13, 2013, 08:31:04 PM
Great stuff Homie! (clap)
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Homie on December 17, 2013, 11:09:11 AM
Thanks Chaps !
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 17, 2013, 12:31:08 PM
Thanks Chaps !

Hey Homie, I thought you and Rory were fishing today ?  :dunno:

You guys keen on venue P on Thursday ? w;k
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Homie on December 17, 2013, 01:06:14 PM
pm me your number Herman please !
Title: Re: My Fly-Tying Station
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 17, 2013, 01:17:23 PM
pm me your number Herman please !

Done good sir.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal