ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: REEFMAN on December 10, 2013, 12:56:03 PM

Title: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: REEFMAN on December 10, 2013, 12:56:03 PM
Some info taken from Barry's FBook page... the new CID Slim Minnow - seems the bus shad love this lure in any colour. 30g - 175mm.

Retrieval -sweep, pause, repeat.  Often gets eaten when stationary.

Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: REEFMAN on December 10, 2013, 12:56:47 PM
.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Toppie on December 10, 2013, 01:03:08 PM
Ai Ai Ai, they never stop getting us to spend more money.
 
Now who wouldn't want a few of those. Suppose its off to the store I go again!
 
Fishing tackle is worse than golf or alcohol addiction.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Spickerish on December 10, 2013, 01:49:58 PM
Toppie I corrected the mistake you made in your post!

Ai Ai Ai, they never stop getting us to spend more money.
 
Now who wouldn't want a few of those. Suppose its off to the store I go again!
 
Fishing tackle is worse than golf AND alcohol addiction TOGETHER!
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: isivuba on December 10, 2013, 03:46:35 PM
Awesome catch  :rck"
 
PLEASE tell me thats not a "stella" in the sand like that.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Hammer on December 10, 2013, 03:56:37 PM
HA, I have already bought a couple of them. Can't wait, just a week before I can wet them. :fshn:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 10, 2013, 06:36:19 PM
HA, I have already bought a couple of them. Can't wait, just a week before I can wet them. :fshn:
how much did you pay for them Hammer?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Hammer on December 10, 2013, 07:13:52 PM
That's a mighty fine question :dunno: . They were part of a TA moment with a pile of other goodies.
I call the guy's tomorrow and give you some feed back tomorrow mate.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Kumz on December 10, 2013, 07:17:43 PM
Awesome catch
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 10, 2013, 07:29:12 PM
That's a mighty fine question :dunno: . They were part of a TA moment with a pile of other goodies.
I call the guy's tomorrow and give you some feed back tomorrow mate.
thanks Hammer. Not to worry thou. I will whatsapp them and get the prices.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Lenny on December 10, 2013, 07:45:27 PM
I need some for FEB .
I will put it ' on the expense account '  :hyst: :hyst:


When I was in Aus , I saw them , any big minnow type lure ,they even have models of 260mm with 4 trebles . it seems to be very popular with the Elf / Tailor that side . I never bought some , as they where damn pricey .


lekker Elf Spinnerman .
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: CLS on December 10, 2013, 07:55:07 PM
Going to test some off the boat around the ships  w;k
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Gregf on December 10, 2013, 08:02:30 PM
Going to test some off the boat around the ships  w;k

Oompa I am not sure they will work, I think those lures imitate sand eels? and there is not to much sand around ships  :dunno:

What is a sand eel in any case, I have seen long snake like things while diving especially crossing backline JohnF Reefs?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: MIKE PIKE on December 10, 2013, 08:08:33 PM
 :shk ... never mind the slim minnows ... check the size of those shad... (clap) , great catches , where did you say one can get them lures .... :hnthnt: ... i like .. :rck"
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Hammer on December 10, 2013, 08:11:20 PM
Mike, I got mine from Solly's in Fourways.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: MIKE PIKE on December 10, 2013, 08:13:07 PM
Mike, I got mine from Solly's in Fourways.
Cool thanks .... ho ho ho , here i go .. :hyst: [size=78%] [/size]
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 10, 2013, 08:55:41 PM
Would Basil manning also stock them? :dunno:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Hammer on December 10, 2013, 09:09:34 PM
I'm sure they would have them Shivaan.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: dorsalfin on December 10, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
That thing will work wonders as seen. They are almost like the Rapala Max Rap, so it should be one awesome lure. Just hope they are a lot cheaper than the Max Rap as they are almost un-affordable.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shaun17 on December 10, 2013, 10:28:57 PM
Awesome catch  :rck"
  :blktl:
PLEASE tell me thats not a "stella" in the sand like that.


My thoughts exactly...  :shk
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: viking1707 on December 11, 2013, 02:23:34 AM
What rod is Barry using?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Lenny on December 11, 2013, 07:15:19 AM
What rod is Barry using?


Stand to be corrected , but i think its a Lesath [ a masterpiece in my eyes ] . Basil manning has them on their Website mate .
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: CLS on December 11, 2013, 07:31:10 AM
Would Basil manning also stock them? :dunno:
For sure.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: zach on December 11, 2013, 07:43:13 AM
Hi Guys
Basil Manning has stock and they a lott cheaper than the Max Rap.Saw some there yesterday selling for R99.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: MIKE PIKE on December 11, 2013, 07:59:43 AM
Had a look on the site , see they are a bit more than R99 ..... (R300 incl vat ) , still a good looking lure though , just pricey ..
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: zach on December 11, 2013, 08:06:00 AM
Mike I had a look at Barry,s facebook page.The lure he was actually using a CID Slim Minnow wich retails for R99.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: CLS on December 11, 2013, 08:07:08 AM
Hi Guys
Basil Manning has stock and they a lott cheaper than the Max Rap.Saw some there yesterday selling for R99.
CID range R99 each
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 11, 2013, 08:16:47 AM
Zach can you please post the link
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Werries on December 11, 2013, 08:18:27 AM
are there any tackle shops in Pretoria that stock these?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: Gregf on December 11, 2013, 08:20:13 AM
Sand Eels? If anyone thinks I am pulling the mickie here, I am not, would be good to know what they imitate  :dunno:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: REEFMAN on December 11, 2013, 09:11:53 AM
Ya it's the CID Slim minnow, not the DUO one, which is much more expensive.

From BM's latest Newsletter:

Two very exciting new lures have been introduced into the CID LURE range, selling at a really good price of R 99.95.  The Shiverstick   is a sinking stick - bait that can be either cast from the shore or   fished off - shore in the sort of situations where one would look at   using a vertical jig.  They have performed very well at places like   Vidal where they are used to flutter to the bottom and then retrieved in   a strong, twitching motion.  Ideal for 30lb to 50lb setups.
 
  The other lure is the Slimbait which is a long-casting, floating,   long and thin-profile lure.  Perfect for the shore-game guys   particularly when targeting big Shad, Kob, Springer, GT’s, etc.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: MIKE PIKE on December 11, 2013, 09:12:26 AM
Mike I had a look at Barry,s facebook page.The lure he was actually using a CID Slim Minnow wich retails for R99.
Thanks Zach , was looking at the DUO one .
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Hammer on December 11, 2013, 09:14:27 AM
I just spoke to the guy's at Solly's and they are between R89 and R100 each. I think all the tackle shops sell them around those prices.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Hammer on December 11, 2013, 09:19:42 AM
Hi Reefs, did you get the pic I mailed you of my mounted Shad.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: gavin erwin on December 11, 2013, 03:30:54 PM
Those are some huge shad!!! (clap)
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 11, 2013, 03:36:25 PM
Heres the link for them guys:
http://www.ifish.co.za/cast-in-deep.html?view=category&virtuemart_category_id=747 (http://www.ifish.co.za/cast-in-deep.html?view=category&virtuemart_category_id=747)


Its called CID Casting Slimbait 175
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: CLS on December 11, 2013, 03:41:03 PM
Heres the link for them guys http://www.ifish.co.za/cast-in-deep.html?view=category&virtuemart_category_id=747 (http://www.ifish.co.za/cast-in-deep.html?view=category&virtuemart_category_id=747)
Hi Shivaan, iFish are the wholesalers, you cannot buy direct from them.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 11, 2013, 03:42:48 PM
Yebo CLS. BM doesn't have it up on their site yet. Just posted the link for the guys so they can see what they will be spending on this weekend  :hehe:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: CLS on December 11, 2013, 03:44:17 PM
What rod is Barry using?
one of the new Assassins, looks like the Amia  :dunno:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: TOBY on December 11, 2013, 03:58:18 PM
So who has them in Durban.......
Need to try them out. :fshn:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 11, 2013, 04:01:35 PM
So who has them in Durban.......
Need to try them out. :fshn:


Basil Manning in Springfield. Not sure if their Umhlanga Branch has them yet. just call.
And Basil Manning Hillcrest will have them by tuesday next week. Been there already to check  :hehe:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: REEFMAN on December 11, 2013, 05:53:44 PM
.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on December 11, 2013, 06:10:02 PM
.

Drool :hnthnt:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: dorsalfin on December 11, 2013, 09:06:01 PM
 Holy cow. They go for R 254 a pop at Basil Manning.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: REEFMAN on December 12, 2013, 05:59:26 AM
Holy cow. They go for R 254 a pop at Basil Manning.

No. That's the DUO Minnow. NOT the same thing!
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: dorsalfin on December 12, 2013, 12:07:21 PM
Sory Reefs,  my bad. Didn 't read all the posts duh
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: m4kes on December 12, 2013, 09:56:38 PM
One more lure to add to the collection.
Mighty fine elf there!
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Himal on December 17, 2013, 01:36:58 PM
I've got it!  :happ: :crzy (clap)
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Clent. on December 17, 2013, 01:54:26 PM
I've got it!  :happ: :crzy (clap)
Hi Himal
How much did you pay and which tackle store you got them from?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Himal on December 17, 2013, 02:28:29 PM
Hwsit Clent


Got it at Solly's in Boysens, marked for R125 but speak to the guys there. There is about 10 left on the shelf.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Clent. on December 17, 2013, 02:49:53 PM
Thanks, will check them out
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Cage on December 19, 2013, 11:42:40 AM
Clearly not for shad only... Here is master Barry with 77cm fl geet this am....
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Roachy on December 19, 2013, 03:49:12 PM
Holy moly... teach me your ways Barry! I didn't think this fish was possible off Durban shore.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - DUO Slim Minnow
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 20, 2013, 08:28:47 AM
Sand Eels? If anyone thinks I am pulling the mickie here, I am not, would be good to know what they imitate  :dunno:
Greg, Sand Eels are not actual eels they sought of look like a halfbeak, minus the beak. A common baitfish found in europe mostly (I think), not found off the African coastline. I spoke to a Lady who represented the Italian National team in a few comps and she said the Sand Eel is the best live bait she has ever used.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Half-Pint on February 07, 2014, 11:46:58 AM
Has anyone changed the hooks on these yet? I don't like trebles but Im not sure what to put on these :dunno: 1/0 may be a bit big?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on February 07, 2014, 11:51:59 AM
Has anyone changed the hooks on these yet? I don't like trebles but Im not sure what to put on these :dunno: 1/0 may be a bit big?


HP, Barry has changed his hooks to 3/0 Decoy hooks and modified them so they do not snag and twist around the body of the lure

Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Half-Pint on February 07, 2014, 12:03:57 PM
Any pics on how he did that?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on February 07, 2014, 12:06:19 PM
Not a clue HP.
Probably just tweaked them till they stopped wrapping around.
You could also maybe go 2/0 to stop it happening? :dunno:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Cage on February 07, 2014, 02:19:51 PM
The decoys point is in line with the shank... I just bent the point slightly to make it off-set and that has solved the problem for me.... Not sure what master Barry did though...


It's great though, the first slim minnow bait I've used where changing hooks out hasn't killed the action....
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on February 07, 2014, 02:51:44 PM
The decoys point is in line with the shank... I just bent the point slightly to make it off-set and that has solved the problem for me.... Not sure what master Barry did though...


It's great though, the first slim minnow bait I've used where changing hooks out hasn't killed the action....


What size hooks did you use cage and which way do they face?
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Cage on February 07, 2014, 03:32:44 PM
Shivaan, I used decoy 3/0s for back and middle and have a 2/0 in the front (the 3/0 kept swinging over the lip or leader)... the the middle and front hook points face forward... turned both of th0se slightly offset and seems to have solved the problem for me....
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Shivaan on February 07, 2014, 05:07:53 PM
Thanks Cage
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Robbie07 on February 19, 2014, 09:50:08 PM
Howzit guys.


I am a bit new to the art of lure fishing from the beech and would like to know if I could use this lure off Sand Spit in Port Shepstone (going there over june july) and what type of retrieve must I use?


Thanks for the help and I must say, of all the fishing forums I am on, this is by far the best one so far.



Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: REEFMAN on February 20, 2014, 06:17:02 AM
 :welc: Robbie
2 types of retrieve with this lure...
Sweep retrieve sweep, almost like sweeping a popper along the surface.
Other one is a flat out fast retrieve across the surface.
Try both.
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Cage on February 20, 2014, 08:33:24 AM
Have also had some success with twitch twitch pause retrieve....
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Spieks on February 20, 2014, 01:19:56 PM
Must get some.....! :Like: :FST:
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Robbie07 on February 20, 2014, 01:55:32 PM
Thanks for the info.  Even though it is still a while away, I am as excited as can be :crzy
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: REEFMAN on February 20, 2014, 02:01:57 PM
Just make sure you have a rod that is capable of throwing these lures... they are only 30g, there are not too many 11ft and above rods that are capable of loading 1oz! Rod capacity should be up to 1.5oz max rating?! There's no point using a rod rated to 3oz and trying to throw these - it just doesn't work!
Title: Re: The new bus Shad slayer - CID Slim Minnow
Post by: Robbie07 on February 20, 2014, 02:19:16 PM
I use a Shimano Vengence 8'.  Rated 3oz...  So that basically puts this out of play for me...  It was mainly bought for bucktails.  Great for Kob and Garrick off Kabeljouws near jeffreys and it has become the only rod I use for Art fishing.  Been with me to Sodwana and even took a go at tuna off the boat, that was an experience.





SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal