ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Picastor on October 31, 2013, 10:31:14 PM

Title: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on October 31, 2013, 10:31:14 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone give me me any feedback about Daiwa Tournament braid? I know its pretty expensive...just wondering if it's worth it?

Looking at the 30lb to go on a 5000 Stradic.

Is the Saltiga braid a viable alternative?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: 1969 on November 01, 2013, 05:41:16 AM
Both excellant braids however i cannot justify the 300 rand price diferance between that and gator braid .
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 05:59:33 AM
Fair enough. The Tournament braid in particular is dear but I am willing to shell out if it is worth it.

May I ask which breaking strain Gator you use? How have you found it?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: fishy1969 on November 01, 2013, 07:01:56 AM
Hi Picastor,
 
I have been using the Gosen 30lb for about 6 months now......shows no sign of wear and still casts like a dream!
 
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 07:06:06 AM
Thanks for the input. Have considered Gosen...its in kinda the same price bracket as the Daiwa Tournament.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: fishy1969 on November 01, 2013, 07:09:38 AM
Ja thats right......i have been mightily impressed with it.....landed lots of  :gt:  around the rocks....have had my share of fish cutting me off but thats not due to the braid. I was fishing with a 9 foot rod and seem to have far less cut offs now that i have moved to an 11 foot rod.
 
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 07:17:07 AM
Great. That's good to hear. I want to target them in Moz off the bricks. May I ask what set up you have? What sort of distance do you get with the Gosen?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: fishy1969 on November 01, 2013, 08:03:14 AM
I have a Sustain 500 on an Assassin Amia 11 foot 1XH.....throws a 45 gram spoon about 130m
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 08:13:45 AM
Thanks. That's impressive!

A bit off the topic but have you found the kingies partial to any particular spoon or are you targeting them with plugs?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: fishy1969 on November 01, 2013, 08:30:09 AM
Definitely the Iron Candy range.....Couta Casting 2 and the foil bullets (http://www.basilmanning.co.za/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/resized/BULLET_F_51277e575308b_90x90.jpg) (http://www.basilmanning.co.za/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/BULLET_F_51277e575f3da.jpg)http://www.basilmanning.co.za/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/COUTA_CASTING_51277e83ab875.jpg', (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/javascript:void window.open('[url=http://www.basilmanning.co.za/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/COUTA_CASTING_51277e83ab875.jpg',) 'win2', 'status=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,titlebar=no,menubar=no,resizable=yes,width=988,height=483,directories=no,location=no');](http://www.basilmanning.co.za/components/com_virtuemart/show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized/COUTA_CASTING_51277e839f13b_90x90.jpg&newxsize=90&newysize=90&fileout=)[/url] the 47g versions. Coulour pretty much personal preferance but in the couta casting i like the greens, pinks and lumo....in the bullet foils i like the pink.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Cage on November 01, 2013, 08:41:55 AM
Throwing 30lb Gosen on my sustain 5k as well and very happy. I have 20lb Gator (8 strand) on a spare spool that I use when trying for a little extra distance for snoek in KZN. Have had no issues with either but Gosen definitely a winner for pulling Kings in the rocks.... Gator 20lb diam is 0.1 and Gosen is a fair bit thicker so the finer diam does help with distance....
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 08:44:34 AM
Thank you. I have couta casting in glow and pink...will get a foil or two as well. What is the moset effective retrieve?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 08:47:51 AM
Thanks Cage. Another vote for the Gosen...sounds like it really is a winner.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: fishy1969 on November 01, 2013, 08:52:51 AM
I generally try to go as fast as i can without the spoon breaking the surface.....this speed varies in windy conditions.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Cage on November 01, 2013, 08:57:56 AM
cuta casting superb at high speed retrieves, the foil does well at high speed and has a nice kick on a slightly slower retrieve as well. Both are very versatile, have caught fish by burning it back just after hitting the surface, casting out and waiting for it to hit bottom with a steady retrieve, a jerk every now and then, sweeping the rod and taking slack while it flutters back down. Very keen to try Barry's tip of fishing the cuta casting like a jig but from the shore - remove standard hook and split ring and replace with an assist on the top to prevent connection with the reef a bit....
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 09:02:59 AM
Excellent. Really value both your input.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: super_daav on November 01, 2013, 11:49:39 AM
Picastor, have a look at our Triple Fish Gator braid 8 weave in 33lb. The diameter is 0.14mm which is as I understand almost the thinnest diameter / breaking strain ratio currently. A 300m spool is R561, which is a similar price to the Gosen I think?
 
The Daiwa Tournament braid 30lb has a diameter of 0.16mm and is R598. Also a nice braid but it is expensive.
 
The Daiwa Saltiga Surf braid is also available in 30lb with a diameter of 0.25mm. Also an 8 weave braid. It is expensive at R798 for a 300m spool. In truth more affordable options available.
 
Personally I think that the Tripe Fish is better value for money; the thinner diameter will give you a greater casting distance and the knot strength is very good.
 
On a different note, the Triple Fish Gator Braid 4 weave is also available in 33lb and has a diameter of 0.14mm. It is R441 for a 300m spool. Very nice braid, cheaper than the 8 weave. Not sure your application but assuming spinning of the bricks? I use this on more offshore spinning reels and really like it. Strong knot strength to boot.
 
Cheers,
 
Hope this helps?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 12:36:10 PM
Super Daav,

Thanks for the info...I have to be honest choosing braid for my saltwater spinning set ups has without a doubt been my most difficult tackle choice ever. It seems to be a very subjective topic.

I must say the Gator braid seems a very good distance option but as I will be targeting kingies off the bricks in Moz I need some abrasion resistance and am willing to trade some distance as a result. I am not sure what the diameter is of the 30lb Gosen but its abrasion qualities come  highly recommended as above. I am in all likelihood going to get a spare spool for my Stradic and  will then strongly consider the 33lb Gator for extra distance.

At the end of the day I am willing to pay for the right stuff...just want to be sure I make the right choice. Interestingly enough I can get 200yd spools of 30lb Saltiga Surf for R340. Seems a goid price?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: fishy1969 on November 01, 2013, 12:46:19 PM
Hi Picastor,
 
I think you may have misunderstood me earlier....apologies! No braid has a good abraision resistance. 8 weaves may take a bit longer to wear through that a 4 weave, similarly a thick one may take a bit longer than a thin one. The reality is that once it starts to abrade it is buggered in that section. I was refering more to the extended length of my rod that from a 9 foot to an 11 foot that magages to keep the line off the rocks more successfully. Hope that makes sense.
 
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: super_daav on November 01, 2013, 12:54:50 PM
Hi Picastor,
 
Tough choices I know! Try working in fishing shop! No money ever!
 
Braid is hugely subjective and everyone's thoughts differ depending immensely. I think braids are fairly uniform in abrasion resistance in that they aren't really but the key is, as Fishy1969 says, the longer rod which keeps your braid out of the rocks, slightly longer leader etc.
 
I think with either of the brands you would be in good hands.
 
The deal on that Saltiga braid is very good!
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 12:56:50 PM
Hi Fishy,

Thanks. I did get what you meant. It a very interesting point you raise about the longer rod. I had aspirations of using my 9 foot rod but am now definitely going to look at longer options. I understand no braid is bullet proof...just looking for recommendations by guys like yourself who are happy that you have the best of both worlds so to speak. What is the diameter of 30lb Gosen please?
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 01:02:05 PM
Hi Super Daav,

Lol...yeah I can just imagine. Its best I never get to work in a tackle store...my obsession is bad enough as it is.... w;k

Thanks again for the advice...now to make my choice...
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Cage on November 01, 2013, 01:58:08 PM
Ive got 25lb gosen on mine (not 30lb), diam is 0.24 if i recall so 30lb should be around 0.26. The guys are right though, 20,30, 65 all dont stand a chance against the reef and rocks so rod length and leader are a factor here. I have 48lb gator on my heavier surf spinning stick and dont have single complaint.. And the better diam of gator gets a whole lot more kn the spool which is always a big help. My personal view is that at the top end all the braids are fit for purpose, comes down to personal choice and price obviously...

I use a 9ft when im throwing bucktails and dropshot because i find that length most comfy to work those baits. All other spooning and plugging is 11ft territory purely for the ability to throw further and be able to lift the line over and away from reef...
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Fishersteve on November 01, 2013, 02:12:59 PM
I tried diawa tournament braid after having a few issues with 8 strand braids and now have it on three of my reels - 20 and 30lb and can't find fault with it.No weakness at leader knots and none of that "visible" line twist that is noticeable with 8 strand braids.However, when it comes to fish that don't fight fair a still prefer a good 4 strand.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: Picastor on November 01, 2013, 02:44:07 PM
Hi Cage,

Thanks for that. This is all really great food for thought.

Fishersteve,

Cheers...really good to know the Tournament braid has that attribute.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: carll on November 04, 2013, 09:02:12 AM
Hi Picastor
 
Another good braid is Sufix 832. I have been using braid for over 8 years and Sufix 832 is the toughest braid I use so farThe biggest reason for me was it worked
much better for spinning because you have  direct contact with your lure.Its a product of Rapala and it won the Best Fishing Line award at the 2011 ICAST show.Like I always say when I see something  new "What makes this better than  the rest?" Okay they calls it "the  next generation of technical fishing line".It is braided line, but  includes GOREPerformance Fibers (think Goretex) to make it stronger and more  durable. Sufix's 832 is an eight strand braid with the unique feature of having a proprietary Gore fiber as one of those strands. This fiber  was introduced to increase abrasion resistance and,if it works I dont know as  fishy says No braid has a good abrasion resistance. The theory ishis proprietary Gore fiber acts as a cushion and lubricant to the other seven, Dyneema fibers keeping them from cutting one another in situations of high  impact - like a hookset or when you tie a knot.

Any other guys using Sufix 832

 
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: LGF on November 04, 2013, 09:33:30 AM
     Hi Picastor
 
  Another good braid is Sufix 832. I have been using braid for over 8 years, the  biggest reason for me was it worked much better for spinning because you have  direct contact with your lure.Its a product of Rapala and it won the Best  Fishing Line award atthe 2011 ICAST show.Like I always say when I see something  new "What makes this better than the rest?" Okay they calls it "the  next generation of technical fishing line".It is braided line, but  includes GORE Performance Fibers (think Goretex) to make it stronger and more  durable. Sufix's 832 is an eight strand braid with the unique  feature of having a proprietary Gore fiber as one of those strands. This fiber  was introduced to increase abrasion resistance and,if it works I dont know as  fishy says No braid has a good abrasion resistance. The theory is this  proprietary Gore fiber acts as a cushion and lubricant to the other seven,  Dyneema fibers keeping them from cutting one another in situations of high  impact - like a hookset or when you tie a knot.

 
  Any other guys using Sufix 832 ?

Yes and it is by far the best I have used in this category
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: dugong on November 04, 2013, 09:39:44 AM
What does the Suffix 832 cost??
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: LGF on November 04, 2013, 09:45:36 AM
What does the Suffix 832 cost??
Can't remember exactly and it varies with strength, but around R400 for 300yards is roughly what I think I paid for the last spool I bought a year or so ago. This was for 50lb.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: travelmember on November 04, 2013, 09:59:07 AM
Another vote for 832. Have 30lb on 5000 and 50lb on 8000 - all for spinning for yellowtail off the boat. Probably over a ton of fish on the line over the last 12 months, no worries. And that is using it in kelp, over reefs etc.
Title: Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
Post by: carll on November 04, 2013, 10:01:49 AM
Yrs it cost R400 for 300 yards
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal