ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Fly tying => Topic started by: briansflyfishing on October 13, 2013, 09:16:56 AM

Title: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: briansflyfishing on October 13, 2013, 09:16:56 AM
A mate of mine is going Tiger Fishing and asked me to tie a few. As I have never fished for the species before I needed to do a bit of research on patterns. I tied deceivers and clousers and on Fire tiger.[/size]the next pattern is Whistlers, but I have no Schlappen for the job and he is leaving soon. Anny suggestions as to what can be used as a substitute for the collar?[/color]
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: Lichia amia on October 13, 2013, 09:19:37 AM
Very lekker  (clap)
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: isivuba on October 13, 2013, 09:20:41 AM
No suggestion for the collar Brain but must congratulate you on awesome flys and the pic of  the rod/lures with Knysna in background  :win: . Can frame something like that. :clfoto:
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: briansflyfishing on October 13, 2013, 09:26:07 AM
Cheers. After looking for a back drop from photos to Magazines I one day realised I could use the Heads and viola.
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: Rory on October 14, 2013, 12:15:21 PM
Brian I'm sure nice webby saddle hackles should be fine for the Whistlers collar, just check your hackle length vs hook gape proportions and they'll work hundreds.
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: gavin erwin on October 14, 2013, 01:11:44 PM
Those will do the job no doubt! Very nice!!!
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: briansflyfishing on October 14, 2013, 02:06:51 PM
Cheers Rory, appreciated mate.
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: briansflyfishing on October 14, 2013, 04:03:42 PM
Found feathers at local material shop that I'd thought would work. It does not say what type it is, but it looks close enough.
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: Rory on October 15, 2013, 12:07:37 PM
Nice, those just look deadly!  :win:
Title: Re: Flies for Tiger Fish
Post by: briansflyfishing on October 15, 2013, 12:13:49 PM
Thanks Rory. Glad I found the right materials for the collar. I usually order around R500-00 and above materials, but was not going to do it just for a few feathers this time.


I also tied a few Brush flies, the olive ones was done via a dubbing loop using peacock SF blend. The blue brush I colored black with a permanent marker
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal