ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Prego on September 16, 2013, 09:25:47 AM

Title: Spinning rods
Post by: Prego on September 16, 2013, 09:25:47 AM
Gents what rods are out there in the 10-11ft range that are being used for shore spinning. I know of the Amia and excellors what other options are out there?


Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Half-Pint on September 16, 2013, 09:36:05 AM
The Shimano Vengeance is also an option and at R500 its not a bad option for those just wanting to try out spinning before committing the big money
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Prego on September 16, 2013, 09:39:01 AM
Exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, its not something I do often so to spend triple that is just not worth while, thanks HP.

Any other suggestions?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Cage on September 16, 2013, 10:10:28 AM
Other options below though more costly than the vengeance which is a great rod but the 10 ft is significantly heavier than other 10 footers for shore spinning applications up to 2oz casting weights.
 
Shimano Aerocast
Berkley venom
Adrenalin Dropshot 10ft
Already mentioned Daiwa exelor
and Assassin Amia
 
all great options with the Adrenalin and Amia offering very good value for money
 
 
 
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: keane on September 16, 2013, 11:01:22 AM
Anyone use the poseidon gold class? 11 foot 1-2 ounce. nicely priced as well, saw it at Lucky's for R795.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: MIKE PIKE on September 16, 2013, 11:25:50 AM
Also out from Daiwa the Laguna  have a squizz on the kingfisher website , looked at them on Sat , nice rod as well and reasonably priced .
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Prego on September 16, 2013, 11:27:45 AM
Thanks Mike, malini $$ ??
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: MIKE PIKE on September 16, 2013, 11:31:01 AM
Slightly cheaper than the Excelor Salt water versions , i reckon super_daav , will be able to give us some more feedback .. :hnthnt: . they look like this slight upgrade from the Megaforce range pics courtesy of Kingfisher .
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Prego on September 16, 2013, 11:52:16 AM
Thanks Mike I see they only up to 10ft, think I would prefer an 11ft rod, you know those few extra inches could make all the difference, even my wife agrees  :blush:
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: fishy1969 on September 16, 2013, 12:33:58 PM
Hi Guys,
 
I have the Loomis and Franklin Platinum dropshot rods, one a 9foot and the other a 10foot6. They are outstanding rods at the price at about R800 each.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Poenskop on September 16, 2013, 01:07:36 PM
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/ (http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/)

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Prego on September 17, 2013, 09:48:26 AM
Thanks for the replies will pop into the local during the week and have a feel at all the options you guys have mentioned.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: fishy1969 on September 17, 2013, 10:06:57 AM
I went and got myself the Assassin Amia XH this morning....awesome looking rod thanks Barry.....cant wait to put it to use at Kosi next week.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: REEFMAN on September 17, 2013, 10:33:43 AM
I went and got myself the Assassin Amia XH this morning....awesome looking rod thanks Barry.....cant wait to put it to use at Kosi next week.

Nice! Don't forget the report please....  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: fishy1969 on September 17, 2013, 10:35:50 AM
Cool Reefs......hope it is more positive than the one i did on Bhanga Nek a few weeks ago!
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: carll on September 18, 2013, 07:59:00 AM
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/ (http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/)

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.


Wow Poenskop !

Thats a high-end spinning rod you have there and already fitted with the all new fuji brand K-guide series.

If I may ask,what did you pay for it ?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Poenskop on September 18, 2013, 04:40:07 PM
The rod itself was about R2000 but the shipping is really expensive. I shared shipping with a mate. With the duties and shipping it came to around R2800.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: carll on September 18, 2013, 09:45:04 PM
I went and got myself the Assassin Amia XH this morning....awesome looking rod thanks Barry.....cant wait to put it to use at Kosi next week.

You going to enjoy the Amia,its a fantastic rod and cast a spoon a mile !
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on September 19, 2013, 01:48:58 PM
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/ (http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/)

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.

Looks like a rod with potential
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Poenskop on September 20, 2013, 07:36:22 AM
I've been very impressed with the rod. The biggest plus is the components the rod is fitted with of the shelf.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: REEFMAN on September 20, 2013, 07:38:53 AM
Louis, did you see that you won a Laguna reel in the Kingfisher Competition?!  :cgrts:
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: CLS on September 20, 2013, 10:14:19 AM
Prego, iFish have some very nice ones on the market at a great price, my son has been testing and doing some mods to them which they have now incorporated into the design, give BM a call.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Poenskop on September 20, 2013, 12:54:09 PM
Louis, did you see that you won a Laguna reel in the Kingfisher Competition?!  :cgrts:

Ja thanks, I did see that :1t: . Finaly Lady Luck smiled at me. I've send them the mail with my address. I just hope they deliver before I move house at the end of the month.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on October 05, 2013, 10:03:19 AM
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/ (http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/)

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.


Whats your complete setup look like?


Rod, reel and line?


What distance do you get and what lure weight are you casting?



Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: gavin erwin on October 05, 2013, 12:58:39 PM
I found a 10ft  :shmno:  Nexave and it is awesome! It can cast a spoon like a champ and its light. Pulled in an 18kg barbel with it last year and fight was brilliant, so direct! :win: for me.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Poenskop on October 06, 2013, 10:22:40 PM
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/ (http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/)

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.


Whats your complete setup look like?


Rod, reel and line?


What distance do you get and what lure weight are you casting?

I use the above rod with a Sustain 5000 and use 125 yards of14lb Fireline on top of 300 meters of 30lb whiplash as backing. The braid is the only part of the setup that I would change. I would go for the Gosen braid if I buy again. I cast all of the 125 yards topshot out of the tip guide with a 2oz bullet spoon. I am sure it will go further with the Gosen.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on October 29, 2013, 09:14:44 PM
The Assassin Amia will get its 1st test run on Friday in Saudi.


Thanks to Jon and Nick from Ocean Active. :tkx: :tkx:



Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: MIKE PIKE on October 29, 2013, 09:28:27 PM
 (clap)  nice Gerhard , is it the Heavy or XH version.. ?? ,  and  :+ cred:  to Ocean Active as well :win: .
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on October 30, 2013, 04:14:01 AM
(clap)  nice Gerhard , is it the Heavy or XH version.. ?? ,  and  :+ cred:  to Ocean Active as well :win: .


Mike,


I was able to get hold of a Heavy...
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 07:51:46 AM
Gerhard you going to enjoy the Amia,its a great spinning stick !
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Charles on October 30, 2013, 08:18:16 AM
 :blush: Sorry for the hijack Prego.

Guys I have a Sustain 5000 which I need to pair with a rod. Any ideas?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 08:36:34 AM
Charles I paired my Sustain with my Amia XH. Its well balanced outfit and you can cast for hours. I had a chat yesterday with a

Shimano rep and the guy told me that the reel was design for 9ft - 11ft rods. The demand is so high in the world for the Sustain

5000 that Shimano cant keep up with production !
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on October 30, 2013, 08:39:38 AM
:blush: Sorry for the hijack Prego.

Guys I have a Sustain 5000 which I need to pair with a rod. Any ideas?


Decide what lure weight you want to cast.


Decide where you will be spinning. Beach or rocks.


What species will you be mainly targeting?


All the info will guide you to make the correct rod choice for the Sustain
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Bwana on October 30, 2013, 08:42:41 AM
@Charles - the Amia is a great choice but I've just ordered teh Sustain 5000FG paired with a Shimano Vengeance 10ft XH and they balance really well just another option
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Charles on October 30, 2013, 09:03:58 AM
We don't have a huge variety of fish to target in the Cape.

Worth to mention is the fact that the reel was purchased purely because of TA and now that same TA drives me to a rod. I stumbled upon a "second hand new one" which has never seen line or a rod for a very good price.

I will use it from the beach / rocks to target mainly leeries, shad and cob. Lure weight should not exceed 3oz. From the above it is clear that the rod need to be versatile.

I am leaning towards the Vengeance 10ft XH.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: fishy1969 on October 30, 2013, 09:11:27 AM
Hi Guys,
 
The shorter rods are fine in the surf.....the more you fish off rocks, the more length you need in the rod to keep your line off the rocks. This is why Barry designed the Amia at 11 foot, apart from the obvious casting benefits.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on October 30, 2013, 09:19:07 AM
Hi Guys,
 
The shorter rods are fine in the surf.....the more you fish off rocks, the more length you need in the rod to keep your line off the rocks. This is why Barry designed the Amia at 11 foot, apart from the obvious casting benefits.


I agree...
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Bwana on October 30, 2013, 09:38:08 AM
We don't have a huge variety of fish to target in the Cape.

Worth to mention is the fact that the reel was purchased purely because of TA and now that same TA drives me to a rod. I stumbled upon a "second hand new one" which has never seen line or a rod for a very good price.

I will use it from the beach / rocks to target mainly leeries, shad and cob. Lure weight should not exceed 3oz. From the above it is clear that the rod need to be versatile.

I am leaning towards the Vengeance 10ft XH.



It is a good option and rated to 3oz no problem, plus the cost is a bonus around R500 all in with very nice fittings and quality components...

Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Prego on October 31, 2013, 01:28:13 PM
I saw the new 12ft vengeance the other day, anyone try one yet?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on November 01, 2013, 09:07:48 AM
The Amia got the 1st outing this morning.


The rod is a lot more whipy than the Adrenaline Dropshot.


After a 4 hour spinning session I am starting to get the hang of the rod and still need to push her realy hard.


The Maria Spoon produced with a 80cm queen fish and a rat cuta.


The queen realy gave me a good fight on the rod.


I think it was money well spent... :hehe:
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: super_daav on November 01, 2013, 09:42:56 AM
Gents, interesting thread here! The Lagunas which Mike mentioned are very well priced in the mid R500 range. They are currently available up to 10ft at the moment. The idea behind the range was to bring a very good quality rod at an affordable price.
 
The Exceler Elite & Saltwater plus the new Saltist range are our more premium range rods. Longer lengths in the 10'6 to 11'6 for off the bricks and extra heavy models for throwing heavier lures. Really fantastic range of rods with good backbone!
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: keane on November 01, 2013, 10:14:40 AM
Anyone tried the poseidon gold class 11 foot 1-2 ounce rods?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Charles on November 01, 2013, 10:16:43 AM
Gents, interesting thread here! The Lagunas which Mike mentioned are very well priced in the mid R500 range. They are currently available up to 10ft at the moment. The idea behind the range was to bring a very good quality rod at an affordable price.
 
The Exceler Elite & Saltwater plus the new Saltist range are our more premium range rods. Longer lengths in the 10'6 to 11'6 for off the bricks and extra heavy models for throwing heavier lures. Really fantastic range of rods with good backbone!
:hehe:  Eishhh I have just about made up my mind and here you come and throw a spanner in the works..... :cnfzd Now back to the search.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: super_daav on November 01, 2013, 11:14:02 AM
1 of each? haha! Some additional information maybe to clarify your thoughts:
 
We also have the Poseidon Gold Class Light (R1,100) which is rated 1 to 2oz (70gms) in 11ft. Very versatile rod which you can spin with plus throw small baits for scratching. This may be better for you down there as a more all-round rod? You won't throw as far as the guides are not tangle free but this is not a key factor when throwing for kob in my mind?
 
If you want a dedicated spinning rod then look at the Daiwa Laguna (as mentioned), Kingfisher Drop Zone (R945 - 9'6 -  2pce), Exceler Saltwater (R1,465 - 10'6 -  2pce), Exceler Elite (R1,945 - 11' -  2pce), Saltist (R2,045 - 11'1 -  2pce). All these rods are best suited throwing 2oz lures.
 
The Elite & Saltist have tangle free guides which, if you 8 weave braid, will give you that extra 20m. That is key for throwing spoons plus the tip guide is specific for braid to prevent tangles. The Elite is a slightly stiffer / "chunkier" blank for real pulling power; not to say that the Saltist range is anything but either!
 
The Saltwater range has the new Pacbay Minima CSV guides on the range. These are larger in diameter so less friction on line and knots, far lighter and provide a more sensitivity than ceramic based versions. Not tangle free so slightly shorter in casting distance. Great blank being based on the original Exceler blank and capable to handle most bruisers.
 
The new Kingfisher Dropzone (R945) has deep pressed, saltwater friendly guides plus a braid specific tip. Great back bone but it is heavier than the 3 spinning rods above. Currently longest length is 9'6 but looking at 10'6 & 11' versions.
 
So food for thought...
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Poenskop on November 01, 2013, 11:27:06 AM
    When choosing a spinning rod a lot of guys overlook the  importance of proper guides. It makes a huge difference to the cast ability of  a rod. The anti tangle guides like the Fuji K series makes a world of  difference to your angling experience.

I know wind knots can be reduced by not  overfilling your spool and with some other tricks but that all goes out of the  window when you get "viskoors" and may result in a break off when it  matters most.

With the prices of lures nowadays it is not that bad a idea to  invest that little bit more in the beginning.
 
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Charles on November 01, 2013, 11:58:39 AM
 :hehe: Dave one of each? Mmmm Mama will not be impressed.

I have a Poseidon Gold paired with a Caldia (Thanks to you and REEFMAN) which is a great setup. However I am looking for rods to pair with my Sustain 5000 and Ultegra 14000.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: carll on November 01, 2013, 01:17:24 PM
What Poenskop mentioned about the proper rod guides when you spinning with braid is very important and are overlooked by Rod builders.  I really got tired of losing expensive lures through braid

snap-offs in mid-cast. On my fist and second cast with my Amia I donated 2 Iron Candy Spoons to the sea so I decided to go with the K-Series (anti-fouling) Concept guides from  Fuji,that makes a

HUGE difference ! Here's a link about what the K-Series Rod Guides.  Fuji's K-Series Tangle Free Guides (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYzmg0MURkc#)


I know my friend are going to kill me for posting this pic but here's he try to sort out some knots and wind knots .. lol
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Charles on November 01, 2013, 02:20:16 PM
Thanks carll! Very informative post.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: basil on November 18, 2013, 05:45:20 PM
The Amia got the 1st outing this morning.


The rod is a lot more whipy than the Adrenaline Dropshot.


After a 4 hour spinning session I am starting to get the hang of the rod and still need to push her realy hard.


The Maria Spoon produced with a 80cm queen fish and a rat cuta.


The queen realy gave me a good fight on the rod.


I think it was money well spent... :hehe:




HI ,



I  have  a  amia  heavy ,  would  a  sustain  5000  +  25 pound braid  be  ok  ?


What  are  you  using   ?
 
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on November 18, 2013, 06:27:05 PM

The Amia got the 1st outing this morning.


The rod is a lot more whipy than the Adrenaline Dropshot.


After a 4 hour spinning session I am starting to get the hang of the rod and still need to push her realy hard.


The Maria Spoon produced with a 80cm queen fish and a rat cuta.


The queen realy gave me a good fight on the rod.


I think it was money well spent... :hehe: 



HI ,



I  have  a  amia  heavy ,  would  a  sustain  5000  +  25 pound braid  be  ok  ?


What  are  you  using   ?
 



Perfect match!!!


You will punch a 2oz spoon a loooooonnnngggg way  w;k
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Patches on November 21, 2013, 07:58:30 AM
1 of each? haha! Some additional information maybe to clarify your thoughts:
 
We also have the Poseidon Gold Class Light (R1,100) which is rated 1 to 2oz (70gms) in 11ft. Very versatile rod which you can spin with plus throw small baits for scratching. This may be better for you down there as a more all-round rod? You won't throw as far as the guides are not tangle free but this is not a key factor when throwing for kob in my mind?
 
If you want a dedicated spinning rod then look at the Daiwa Laguna (as mentioned), Kingfisher Drop Zone (R945 - 9'6 -  2pce), Exceler Saltwater (R1,465 - 10'6 -  2pce), Exceler Elite (R1,945 - 11' -  2pce), Saltist (R2,045 - 11'1 -  2pce). All these rods are best suited throwing 2oz lures.
 
The Elite & Saltist have tangle free guides which, if you 8 weave braid, will give you that extra 20m. That is key for throwing spoons plus the tip guide is specific for braid to prevent tangles. The Elite is a slightly stiffer / "chunkier" blank for real pulling power; not to say that the Saltist range is anything but either!
 
The Saltwater range has the new Pacbay Minima CSV guides on the range. These are larger in diameter so less friction on line and knots, far lighter and provide a more sensitivity than ceramic based versions. Not tangle free so slightly shorter in casting distance. Great blank being based on the original Exceler blank and capable to handle most bruisers.
 
The new Kingfisher Dropzone (R945) has deep pressed, saltwater friendly guides plus a braid specific tip. Great back bone but it is heavier than the 3 spinning rods above. Currently longest length is 9'6 but looking at 10'6 & 11' versions.
 
So food for thought...

Thanks for the informative post! What I gathering from your post is that the elite would probably be the best buy, as one would want to add tangle free guides to the other rods whereas the elite has them off the shelf?
 
 
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: super_daav on November 21, 2013, 08:09:16 AM
Patches,


I would agree with you on the Elite with the Saltist a close 2nd as the Saltist does also have tangle free guides.
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Patches on November 21, 2013, 08:31:20 AM
Patches,


I would agree with you on the Elite with the Saltist a close 2nd as the Saltist does also have tangle free guides.
:tkx:
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Patches on November 26, 2013, 09:58:06 AM
What reels would be a good match for the exceller and amia?
Got some ideas but interested to here what the guys fishing these rods are using? Any advice?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Lenny on November 26, 2013, 10:02:29 AM
What reels would be a good match for the exceller and amia?
Got some ideas but interested to here what the guys fishing these rods are using? Any advice?


Going on threads on UA , most guys fish a Stradic/ Sustain  5000 . The 6000 would work too , but keep in mind the Gear Ratio is slower that the 5000 .


I fish a 5000 Stradic on my 10ft custom , casts miles !
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Patches on November 26, 2013, 10:45:02 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Any thoughts on a penn conflict 5k or a saltist 4500H?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Lenny on November 26, 2013, 10:48:32 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Any thoughts on a penn conflict 5k or a saltist 4500H?


Sorry cant help Man , I live in SHIMANO country !  :shmno: :shmno: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Gerhard on November 26, 2013, 10:52:59 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Any thoughts on a penn conflict 5k or a saltist 4500H?


Sorry cant help Man , I live in SHIMANO country !  :shmno: :shmno: :hehe: :hehe:




 :win: :win: :win: :shmno: :yipee:
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Patches on November 26, 2013, 11:18:49 AM
hahaha! Normally I wouldnt look past shimano but struggling to find one that meets all my criteria and is still affordable.

Good line capacity, high speed retrieve etc
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Lenny on November 26, 2013, 11:30:07 AM
Best you ask the Kwazulu Guys , Mike pike and Super Daav , they know their Daiwas ...
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: MIKE PIKE on November 26, 2013, 12:24:09 PM
Patches im sold on the Daiwa range of reels , and currently use the Balistic and Caldia for my spinning , ive also included the Laguna in the pics as i looked at one recently and seems like a pretty solid reel as well :pics courtsey of Kingfisher .
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: Patches on November 26, 2013, 01:58:39 PM
Thanks, do you have an idea of pricing on those reels?
Title: Re: Spinning rods
Post by: MIKE PIKE on November 26, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
Patches the Laguna is well priced , the Caldia and Ballistic are a bit more expensive... the best bet is to PM super__daav and get the pricing from him directly as with the fluctuating rand at the moment the price can vary from when i got mine .
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal