ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Homie on August 27, 2010, 10:35:17 AM
-
Hey UA'ers,
Will a circle hook on the back of a spoon increase or decrease you hook up rate ? :dunno:
I actually think that this is a bad idea, but get this nagging feeling that i might be wrong ?
Whats your take ?
:ult:
-
I have not tried it but my feeling is that it is not the best of ideas. Spoons are not mouthed by fish but hit at some speed. With the point being where it is on a circle hook very little chance of a hookup will be possible. These hooks are designed not to gut hook and they don't as a rule foul hook either. I may be wrong but a J-hook is the way to go on spoon.
-
Good question Homie !
My thinking is that in order for the circle hook to be effective, the fish needs to swim away from you in order to set in the corner of the mouth
When retrieving something like a bullet spoon at speed, the fish grabs on from the back or side coming towards you, i can't see the hook setting immediately, the fish would have to grab, turn and swim away with your lure for the circle hook to set
Any UA memebers try this ?
-
it will decrease it Homie.
Circle hook are designed so that they are swallowed, and then when they try to slide out they hook in the corner of the mouth.
In my opinion putting a circle on a reaction lure like a spoon will not be so good. Because when the fish attacks the lure, your hook is not nearly as proud as a normal J hook.
-
I have heard about this and have even heard guys using them on crank baits, and the common factor seems to be that you need to set the hook further back at around 50mm from the lure with either braid or piano wire.
I think it will work out just fine set up like this, I have fished with flies made on circle hooks and they were great
-
Bad idea boet...
with a lot of game fish they like to stun there bait before they consume it so when you fishing with a spoon that bump is usually your fish trying to stun your lure...so rather fish a a J hook and hit the bugger, set the hooks and catch a fish instead of missing all of them! lol
-
The way the lure/spoon is "attacked" differs from species to species and in some cases it could work better than a normal J or treble hook. The results would also be different for every type spoon or lure. I think the proof would be in the pudding. Try it on different lures and let us know. :dunno:
-
Have not tried it, but think it is worth a try
-
Do the bucket test. Fit some circles onto a lure and do the test. I wouldn't put circles on a lure or spoon. I think the hook needs to be able to turn into position for the hook set and with a big spoon attached it is going to prevent that. It will work but I think you will get a hit and miss. I just don't catch enough fish to risk loosing that one or 2 hits I may get. I can see it working on flies though as they shouldn't hamper the turning of the hook.
My 10c (upped it to 10c now because 2c is worth bugger all)
Tight lines!
-
it works just fine, I've been doing it for a long time, so has Roland
none of these fish were caught on a slow/bouncing retrieve
4/0 VMC sure set circle
pics deleted - come from an infected source
10/0 VMC Sport Circle
-
rob kyle wrote an article on them awhile ago and says that they work very well on both spoons and plugs/poppers
-
Thanks, I thought it would work as it worked for flies
-
my hookup rate improved since i changed all my spoons hooks to circles. it works fine.
-
even this lil fella fell for a iron candy with a 5/0 vmc circle
-
How did you get the hook into its mouth?
-
Thanks Guys !
Now Im even more :dunno:
Guess Im just gonna have to try it !
Roland, AD, any difference to your retrieve or strike with the circles ?
-
I still do not think it will work as good as normal J hooks
-
we tried circle hooks on spoons a couple of weekends ago and for me the hook up rate was poor, you could feel the shad hitting the spoon but very few hookups. The main problem seems to be that the gape of the hook is to small and if they hit the spoon from straight behind the hook just goes in and out. We changed back to J hooks and missed very few fish.
-
Forgot to add that the few fish that we did hook on circle were all foul hooked.
-
Thanks for the feedback Bunks
See you have not posted much so
:welc:
-
Homie, just use a medium retrieve like you would do normally, when you feel the hit, speed it up a bit. what i do when i feel the hit is to speed up a bit and the slow again. dont have to strike, when u can feel it just lift your rod tip. give it a try. get two similar spoons, 1 with a circle and 1 with a J. test it. i prefer circles on my spoons , it really improved my hookups
-
been a while since this topic saw some action, can anyone add to it?
-
I still think J hooks will work better than circles. Just the way they work seems counter productive to a lure
-
I haven't tried it but it would seem to me that you would lose less spoons to mother earth with circles ? I'm going to put a couple on and try them when (and if this holiday) the Shad are wild. Been a bit dismal on the fishing front down here so far.
-
tried them and failed badly . don't work for me
-
How are the guys that are having success with Circles rigging them on lures I battle to see how a circle will work if it isn't snelled are you running them on assists? I can see a circle working on a fish with a big mouth like a kob or Garrick that will suck the whole lure in but not with a nipper like shad?
-
I tried them on the copper spoons for :tgr: 's and lots of hits but no hook ups, went back to a J hook and got hits and hook ups
my 2c
-
Hi ..
2 questions to those that have been sucessful at spoons with circles....
how many hook ups have been from the outside of the mouth(foul hooked) rather than from inside ?
..and does the size of the circles have to be much larger than the j-hooks you would normally use ?
thanks
-
Although it seems that some guys do have success with Circles on spoons, pure logic says that, just by the very nature of how Circles work, that there is no way that they can match the J-hooks for successful hookups. :dunno: My 2c.
-
I have had zero success on any lure....
Years ago only a treble would do on a lure, first guys to use singles were thought of as insane.... now the majority take trebles off and put singles on.
A circle could work for a "grab and turn" fish that is happy to take a lure from the back end, but as reefman said i can't see it working. You'll miss a lot of strikes if it takes at the moment you are pulling the lure closer (jerking).
Slow retrieve lures and species specific?
-
So I had the urge to ,play around a bit .
Over two insane trip out to sea , so this is more of a Gamefish , I still remain sceptical about slower moving lures and Circles .
I opted for a Normal J /Debarbed .I have been using Single and Debarbing them for years , and had many many fish .
And a Circle on an Assist dangling about 1 inch behind my lure ,for Toothie guys this alone might be a Problem . Both lures used was the same colour and size .
J hook Shot , for shot , but sometime the hook did not set and you would have a fish on and off , this happened a few times , and also dropped a few fish missed them .In the Past I have also seen some accidents with Jhooks and Guys thats new to Gamefishing , J hooks popping out once Fish comes on board ect . This however would not be an issue from the Shore .
the Circle Not shot for shot , BUT , every hookup I had was a fish landed . It also took more time to unhook the fish.
I would still not change my Singles to Circle on most of my Lures , and would not recommend it to guys fishing for Kob and slower moving Species .
On the Topwaters / poppers , MY reasoning behind it , it will work , generally a surface strike , the fish will grab the lure and turn away , so the drag created by your lure, could buy you sometime to just tighten up , and the circle should do the rest .
Am I loosing the plot ? :creep: