ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Ziggy on July 14, 2013, 06:34:59 PM

Title: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
Post by: Ziggy on July 14, 2013, 06:34:59 PM

Can you do the following casts:
Pile cast
Tuck cast
Wiggle cast
Aerial mend
Reach cast
Curve cast
Roll cast
Slack line cast


See this site - for the above and many other casting tips and techniques. I learnt a lot form going through the various video clips

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540 (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540)
Title: Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 15, 2013, 09:53:33 PM

Can you do the following casts:
Pile cast
Tuck cast
Wiggle cast
Aerial mend
Reach cast
Curve cast
Roll cast
Slack line cast


See this site - for the above and many other casting tips and techniques. I learnt a lot form going through the various video clips

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540 (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540)

Ziggy out of all of those I only recognise  the roll cast  which is the first cast I learned, and still feel should be the first cast taught taught to any aspiring f/f.
Title: Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
Post by: Ziggy on July 15, 2013, 10:21:56 PM
Herman - you will probably be as surprised as I was  to see that you know more than just the roll cast - I thought so too until I went through the clips - I have been flyfishing for 35 years and over that time I intuitively developed some casting techniques to solve problems - turns out that many of those have names!






Title: Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
Post by: Rory on July 16, 2013, 07:50:33 AM

Can you do the following casts:
Pile cast
Tuck cast
Wiggle cast
Aerial mend
Reach cast
Curve cast
Roll cast
Slack line cast


See this site - for the above and many other casting tips and techniques. I learnt a lot form going through the various video clips

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540 (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540)

Ziggy from your list there, I use the roll cast and wiggle cast plenty, and the tuck as well. Like you say, what would be considered on the water improvised casting, some bloke has a name for it.
Title: Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 16, 2013, 08:04:34 AM
Very cool, never knew they had names, I use the tuck cast and roll cast quite a bit.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal