ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Ziggy on May 07, 2013, 11:59:03 AM

Title: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Ziggy on May 07, 2013, 11:59:03 AM
Does anyone have a smart idea to repair my fly line? Its a brand new Rio floating line. I nicked it yesterday when it got caught on a rock. It is a tiny nick on one side of the line (about 1.5 mm) - the core is exposed but the other side is still intact - see the pic.


I thought of Loon UV clear fly finish - or Knot sense. I did a test with the Loon stuff on an old line- which worked fairly well, but after manipulating it a few time, it came off. I dont think that it has great adhesive abilites in this kind of application.


On the internet I read that there is a product called Aquaseal (a polyurethane glue that takes many hours to cure) and is used for repairing waders tents etc. I have what I think is a similar product called Liqui Seam (urethane sealer and adhesive) and another called Liqui sole (urethane adhesive and repair). The frst one is a bit more "runny" than the second. I have used both before for repairing a ripped tent, built up a broken piece of sole on my boots, stuck "unstickable" plastic together (broken trays in my fridge) etc etc. It amazing stuff - very sticky and very flexible when cured. It has never failed.


I will try a test on an old line to see.  I thought of gradually building up the nick with a needle - just a tiny layer at a time. my only concern is how it will react with the fly line - because once its cured - its cured forever!



Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Lichia amia on May 07, 2013, 12:13:38 PM
Not nice !!!
 
Try and splice a small length of Braid over it ( similar to the way you make a wind on leader ) and super glue . Should sit like Poo in a blanket .
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Ziggy on May 07, 2013, 12:41:25 PM
Not nice !!!
 
Try and splice a small length of Braid over it ( similar to the way you make a wind on leader ) and super glue . Should sit like Poo in a blanket .


I am going to hate that little blip as it goes through my fingers when casting and retrieving! Good idea and I will consider t
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Lichia amia on May 07, 2013, 12:42:13 PM
Not nice !!!
 
Try and splice a small length of Braid over it ( similar to the way you make a wind on leader ) and super glue . Should sit like Poo in a blanket .


I am going to hate that little blip as it goes through my fingers when casting and retrieving! Good idea and I will consider t

 :corrct:
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Poenskop on May 08, 2013, 09:00:24 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Loon-Outdoors-UV-Wader-Repair/741801.uts (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Loon-Outdoors-UV-Wader-Repair/741801.uts)

or

http://www.intheriffle.com/store/Clear-Cure-Goo-Flex.html (http://www.intheriffle.com/store/Clear-Cure-Goo-Flex.html)
The last one is a bit expensive. Might as well buy a new flyline.
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Ziggy on May 17, 2013, 11:19:04 AM
This is my repair - after doing a couple of tests on an old line, I went with using Liqui sole (urethane adhesive and repair) - its the same stuff as Aquaseal - but a little thicker and does not run. The test bit I did held up to whatever manipulating I did to it  - a fair amount of bending and twisting etc....and it survived fine. The Liqui Sole is very flexible when cured.


As you can see, there is hardly a bump over the fixed section - I used a fine needle to spread it a tiny tiny bit at a time


[/size]
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: BETTYS on May 17, 2013, 11:30:45 AM
Well done Ziggy !
Now it just need to past the fish on test.
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Ziggy on May 17, 2013, 11:38:29 AM
Well done Ziggy !
Now it just need to past the fish on test.


Well, I am fishing the Umzimkulu on Sunday - so will check it out then!
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Rory on May 17, 2013, 12:08:50 PM

Well, I am fishing the Umzimkulu on Sunday - so will check it out then!

 :envy   :envy  Tight lines!
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Ziggy on May 17, 2013, 12:15:44 PM

Well, I am fishing the Umzimkulu on Sunday - so will check it out then!

 :envy   :envy  Tight lines!
Rory - I was there last weekend - river was a tad high but we still managed to get 8 fish...but small (max was 400g)
the river is lower now and apparently fishing well


And, of course, I now only use flies that I tie myself.....getting quite good at it...but, I reckon each fly costs me a few R100! Venturing into fly fishing shops these days is costly as soon as I start looking at all the fly tying materials! And, somehow, my journeys around town always seem to go past those shops - something wrong with my GPS maybe?
Title: Re: how to repair a nicked fly line
Post by: Rory on May 17, 2013, 12:21:20 PM
Hee hee hee.... I reckon you and I must have the same brand GPS  :hnthnt:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal