ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Andre Laas on August 18, 2010, 04:08:25 PM
-
I have seen some interesting modifications on saltwater lures while fishing and on the net and thought it would be interesting to share some ideas.
One that I am particularly interested to see is Tommo's stick-bait that is a modified Lipped lure ( :hnthnt:)
What mods do you do or know of to improve or change the action of standard lures?
-
I have filled the "eye holes" in some of my chisel nose plugs with lead to give them more weight in the front. On one of them the one "lead eye" fell out and now it has got a wicked darting action also. I also play around with shiny tape and paint to make the normal white plugs more interesting. Sometimes the fish will follow the plug but fail to take it then I'll do a "Pollock Rig" where you remove the hook from the plug and attach a 30-40cm trace with a fly fishing fly attached. The plug lures the fish closer and then they strike the fly. The options are endless. :hehe:
-
Here are some of the ways that I like to add a bit of flash and movement to my spoons...
(http://i54.tinypic.com/105cwm9.jpg)
And to spoons for a jigging-type application
(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zv31fk.jpg)
And to plugs
(http://i55.tinypic.com/v5hhxw.jpg)
-
Adding a noisy surface action to a variety of lures:
(http://i56.tinypic.com/le3yu.jpg)
(http://i51.tinypic.com/2irknyh.jpg)
The working part:
(http://i54.tinypic.com/r061cz.jpg)
-
Using flies with spinning gear:
(http://i56.tinypic.com/4qio2r.jpg)
-
These look deadly... I do the same with my spoons...
-
Fantastic stuff Critter... some great ideas...! (clap)
PS- your images uploaded to tinypic... you need to try make them a little smaller. The bigger pics are 800kB and bigger, they're going to suck guys bandwidth stukkend, especially those on 3G! Try resize your pics to 800x600 pix (Max) before you upload them to tinypic... that way they don't take so long to download in a thread... 2c.
:shre:
-
Fantastic stuff Critter... some great ideas...! (clap)
PS- your images uploaded to tinypic... you need to try make them a little smaller. The bigger pics are 800kB and bigger, they're going to suck guys bandwidth stukkend, especially those on 3G! Try resize your pics to 800x600 pix (Max) before you upload them to tinypic... that way they don't take so long to download in a thread... 2c.
:shre:
Cool, thanks for the tip reefs.... I have resized some of them, and will keep that in mind for the future....
-
Thanks Reefz... was just about to call your attention to it Critter... couldn't check the pics of the KZN social or your spray booth properly!
-
Changing from trebles to singles on some jerk baits. On this specific model this change have done no harm to the action, yet have significantly improved my hook-up rate on shad, and there is obviously less harm to the fish:
(http://i51.tinypic.com/jkwqvd.jpg)
-
(clap) :shre: .i also like to deco my stuff ... Bling Bling .... :hehe: