ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Dewald Posthumus on February 18, 2013, 10:54:43 AM

Title: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 18, 2013, 10:54:43 AM
Hi guys,
 
Have been looking around th elocal tackle stores for a 2-5 oz spinning rod for general spinning and scratching, but cannot really find anything to my liking.
 
Looking at 11-12 ft rod, with a proper reel seat (not the ones where the reel seat is in the middle) that can handle 2-5 ounce plugs or sinker plus bait. Budget is around R2k
 
Any ideas?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Half-Pint on February 18, 2013, 11:19:51 AM
Not sure what you mean by a "proper reel seat" :dunno: are you looking for a multiplier style rod?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 18, 2013, 11:20:51 AM
Fin Nor Surf Spin. rated 4-5 ounces, price around R1000 superb rod...
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 18, 2013, 11:23:43 AM
What I mean by that is that it should either be at the bottom of the handle or the top. If you look at some of the spinning rods, the have a reel seat in the middle of the handle, thus not giving enough power to cast with either your left or right hand holding the line.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 18, 2013, 11:33:37 AM
Dewald ek weet nie wat jou begroting is nie - kyk na die WAFT Iron Feather spinning stok - die reel seat kan skuif op die blank. Rating is 3 - 5 ounces maar die ouens gebruik dit om selfs koeie mee te vang
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 18, 2013, 11:41:34 AM
Dankie, sal bietjie gaan kyk na hom.
 
Maak Assassin n Light stok?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 18, 2013, 11:51:20 AM
JIP maar dit gaan meer kos as die WAFT...
 
Wat wil jy met die stok doen?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Cameron on February 18, 2013, 11:52:11 AM
Assassin do make a Lite Spinning rod in the Beachmaster series. A very nice rod throwing from 2 - 4 ounces.
http://www.basilmanning.co.za/rods/surf/rod-assassin-beachmaster-lite-cust-toray-fssc-bf-cover.html (http://www.basilmanning.co.za/rods/surf/rod-assassin-beachmaster-lite-cust-toray-fssc-bf-cover.html)
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 18, 2013, 11:54:05 AM
Meestal spin met plugs en lepels, maar ook bait gooi wanneer ek wil. Die rede hoekom ek tot 5 ons soek is om ordentlike baits ook te kan gooi.
 
Ek het n 10ft stok met 4000 katrol waarmee ek ook spin, maar kan net ligte 2ons sinkers met klein baits gooi, ek will bietjie opgradeer en dan ook verder kan gooi as met die 10ft stok.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 18, 2013, 11:57:09 AM
Ek het dieselle planne as jy - ek wag nou vir die nuwe besending WAFT stokke om te kom. Ek het al met een gespeel - soos ek se die ouens hier gebruik die stok van spinning tot koeie vang.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 18, 2013, 12:07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, will go back to tackle stores and see what they have to offer.
 
 
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Lenny on February 18, 2013, 03:11:39 PM
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=12904.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=12904.0)


Heres a similar thread  that you might find helpfull .
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 19, 2013, 02:13:15 PM
Me again,
 
Ok, on order from Gani's:
 
Shimano Aerocast 11ft rod (rated -4.5 ounce)
Shimano Ultegra 5500 reel.
 
Now one more question:
I want to go with Berkley Nanofil - I know all the stories about the knots etc, however, I like the line and have not really issues with it. Do i go for 14lb or 17lb, or should I rahter be looking at something like Fireline or heavier braid for spinning?
 
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 19, 2013, 02:19:16 PM
Haven't used Nano filled yet. But have been using Berkley Fireline 8 lbs and Powerpro 14lbs and 20 lbs (I think) never really had a problem with either
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 19, 2013, 02:20:45 PM
So the 14lb or 17lb is sufficient for the outfit? Don't have to go heavier?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 19, 2013, 02:23:07 PM
What is the diameter of both?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 19, 2013, 02:25:37 PM
In Nanofil the dia of the 17lb is .15mm I think.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 19, 2013, 02:27:56 PM
Then go with the 17 lbs...
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 19, 2013, 02:31:26 PM
Dewald, I would go with 20 or even 30lb braid on the Ultegra... just covers more bases. I have 270m 50lb Sufix 832 on mine and loving the braid.
With the 17lb braid, you're going to need 2 spools of braid to fill it properly.
Great rod by the way... you're going to love it.
I just think the Ultegra 5500 is quite a big bulky reel to put on such a slimline blank? I use mine on a Poseidon Ultralight 12ft, and even on that it feels a bit big...
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 19, 2013, 02:34:41 PM
Thanks Reefs, asked them to bring the Ultegra 4500 as well..
 
I have spare 20lb braid that I can use as backing, I will ask themto bring a spool of the .20mm nanofil as well then.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 19, 2013, 02:35:33 PM
Was actually thingking of filling the spare spool with Fireline specifically just for scratching.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 19, 2013, 02:35:57 PM
I do not know how much the Shimano Sustain 5 000 and the Ultergra differs. But my Sustain combines beautifully with my Aerocast.
 
But I agree with Reefs if this combo is not balanced it is goin to be a ef up and you will not enjoy it.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 19, 2013, 02:36:35 PM
Ok, the 4500 size will be much better suited to the Aerocast... will be nicely balanced.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 19, 2013, 02:38:15 PM
I do not know how much the Shimano Sustain 5 000 and the Ultergra differs. But my Sustain combines beautifully with my Aerocast.
 
But I agree with Reefs if this combo is not balanced it is goin to be a ef up and you will not enjoy it.

Ya they are wierd sizes, the Ultegra's. I have the Sustain 5000 and the Ultegra 5500 and the Ultegra is MUCH bigger than the Sustain...
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 19, 2013, 02:39:16 PM
One more thing, Sustain or Ultegra? I see you guys mentioning Sustain, is it more saltwater friendly than the Ultegra?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 19, 2013, 02:43:08 PM
Dewald... you can't compare the 2 reels as to quality. The Ultegra is lower budget. The Sustain is top class... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10001.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10001.0)
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 19, 2013, 02:45:03 PM
On the Aerocast? I wouldn't put anything other than a Sustain 5000 on it. Great rod with a great reel!
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 19, 2013, 02:48:03 PM
It is exactly my combo love it... although I do not have Reefs new Sustain but the previous model...
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 19, 2013, 03:15:18 PM
Dewald, here's a size comparison... Ultegra 5500 vs the Sustain 5000.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 19, 2013, 03:33:57 PM
That is big difference! Thanks, back to scratching my head again..
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Gerhard on February 19, 2013, 03:42:09 PM
Get a sustain or stradic (5000 model) instead of the Ultegra if you can.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Haroldg on February 20, 2013, 08:53:19 PM
Can't really comment on the 11' Aerocast but I have been using the 10' 300XH paired with the older version of the Sustain 5000 for about 3 years now for light tackle spinning. Had I done my homework I would not have bought the rod in the first place. Whilst the casting weight of the rod is rated 50-100g the ideal weight is around 45g. I wouldn't dare up this to 100g as the rod just does not load properly anywhere close to 100g so just check out the 11' just in case...
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 21, 2013, 07:25:52 AM
Get a sustain or stradic (5000 model) instead of the Ultegra if you can.

Why would you say that. Not to be funny but I had the same advice just the other way around the beginning of the week
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Half-Pint on February 21, 2013, 07:34:46 AM
The Sustain and Stradic are definitely higher end models. Much smoother in every way. Easier to service as well
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 21, 2013, 07:37:49 AM
Get a sustain or stradic (5000 model) instead of the Ultegra if you can.

Why would you say that. Not to be funny but I had the same advice just the other way around the beginning of the week

Someone advised you to put an Ultegra 5500 on an 11ft Aerocast? Rather than the Sustain?  :nuts:
AS we disucussed earlier, the Ultegra is way too big for the Aerocast. completely unbalanced.
If it's for the 12ft WAFT, then yes, the Ultegra is the way to go, or even better, the Daiwa Windcast. Both have long casting spools which make all the difference in casting distance.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 21, 2013, 07:41:17 AM
Reefs since you PM'ed me I tried to find out about the Ultegra... very few people in the Western Cape own one... how easy is it to service? The one person who fished his Ultergra very hard say it has a life span of about two years?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 21, 2013, 07:54:37 AM
Servicing.... eezy peezy...  :hyst: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8358.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8358.0)
All Coffee grinders are difficult to service! The Ultegra is no different. There must be hundreds of guys with the Ultegra 14000? The 5500 is built exactly the same.
As I said before, the Ultegra is a lower budget reel when comapared to others, so it's longevity will not be great, unless you look after it really well. The big problem here is that there are very few long cast spool options for us.
The one is the Ultegra, the other the Windcast and the other the Mitchell Avocast. (All 3 don't have very high specs like a Sustain). So you need to decide whether the long cast spool is essential or not. If not, then it's a no-brainer.... Shimano stable,  Sustain 6000, Twinpower, Stella!!  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 21, 2013, 07:57:34 AM
For what does the Sustain or Twin power retails for
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Lenny on February 21, 2013, 08:03:03 AM
On the Aerocast? I wouldn't put anything other than a Sustain 5000 on it. Great rod with a great reel!


  :corrct: :shmno:
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 21, 2013, 08:03:45 AM
For what does the Sustain or Twin power retails for

Check out basilmanning.co.za
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 21, 2013, 08:07:41 AM
bY THE WAY... I forgot about the Shimano Bullseye XT... !!!
Also long cast spool, but high spec reel... apparently fabulous! Expensive though at about R5K.
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Lenny on February 21, 2013, 08:07:53 AM
For what does the Sustain or Twin power retails for


 dont know about about the twin power , sustains depends where you shop rangeing from 1700 too 2000
I own both of them sustain and stradics both are super reels , and I have caught loads of tail and longies offshore with them . all of them loaded with powerpro 30lbs and or 20 freline !
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 21, 2013, 08:14:16 AM
Thanks!!!
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 21, 2013, 08:46:06 AM
Got the Aerocast and Stradic delivered yesterday, filled the spool with 270 meters 0.15mm nanofil and around 100meters 20lb Sufix braid as backing.
 
I made one mistake though.....I spooled the nanofil on first then the sufix on top of that, so I had to reverse the process to get the nanofil on top again (only had one spool). I had to remove the spool off the reel to align the way the line leaves the reel and onto the spare reel, and.....dropped the f%$$^^%ing spool on the ground!  swr It scuffed the one edge of the spool (on top where the line will pass when I cast), can I take some 800 grit sand paper to smooth it out again? What do I do?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: kingslide on February 21, 2013, 08:51:27 AM
I know that is not a lekker feeling Dewald...
 
What made you choose the Stradic?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: REEFMAN on February 21, 2013, 09:01:59 AM
Dewald, is Deon your brother?
Title: Re: 2-5 Oz spinning rod
Post by: Dewald Posthumus on February 21, 2013, 09:04:20 AM
Yes he is, I dit now want to get advice for non-members..
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal