ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => THE GRINDER REVOLUTION => Topic started by: Ray Hall on October 24, 2012, 05:21:22 PM
-
come on boys and girls....
which one do you like and why?
--- I lay it out for you to play it out ;-)
-
and also dont forget value for money... or reel:money ratio....
-
lets start with the under R1000 mark.
My vote: Shimano symetre 4000
-
and the Daiwa Procaster 4000 also good value for money
-
4000 size grinders... difficult to compare Shimano with Daiwa, because for example the Stradic/Sustain 5000's are a lot smaller than the Daiwa 4000's.
But in that size range, there are some awesome reels...
Daiwa Caldia, Ballistic
Shimano Sustain, Stradic
I like new technology, and the tech on these new releases is quite amazing!
Caldia is one of the first totally sealed and waterproof reels I've seen. There have been a lot of claims about waterproof reels before, but this one works! Magnetic Oil sealed gears and drag system! Also has a new design of a "floating spool" - makes it incredibly smooth.
Then the floating Pinion gears on the Shimano's... amazingly smooth reels...
-
I use the Shimano Sedona 4000 for my drop shotting . At 700 bucks not bad at all ,I have heard of 12kg :yft: landed with one ......
-
For me in terms of value for money its the Sienna 4000 mine went through hell and came out fine, my mate landed 28 couta on his in madagascar and its still going on. In terms of the higher end reels I love my stradic but man oh man when I felt that sustain I suddenly found myself googling how to sell your kidneys for cash
-
BIG FAN of small spinning reels , most of my fishing get done with them.
I fish Symetre 2500 and 4000 , have landed some nice Yellowtail and a Thresher ,on them [they are not saltwater resistant but after years of using mine in salt , theres not much corrosion ,I just wash them off .
A sedona will do the same Job as the Symetre but will not last as long [dont know why i just fish them ]
they are a few bucks cheaper than the Symetre .
a real budget reel thats most probaly my favorite reel is the plain old Shimano JHX 2500 , stupid lil handle but its got an ally spool , Paying anything from 280 bucks for a this reels is an absolute steal .then theres the '2 week wonders ' the FX range .
My FAVorite reel for heading out to sea with light tackle is my c14 Stradic [taken loads of Snoek and some proper Tail up to 12 kgs on her ,'the lil devil' be prepare to pay they aint cheap .
All and all there are loads of reel to choose from , NEVER underestimate these small reels one thing thats VERY important spinning reels MUST have a front drag ! the reels with a rear drag just does not last [fx range in Shimano]
-
Regal 4000 is my favourite value for money reel! Procaster 4000 is also superb!
I think the Caldia and Ballistic will start making a name for themselves soon!
-
Sheesh tough one there...
Daiwa Procaster is awesome in the 4000 size and just the punishment it can take I would say the Sienna is an awesome buy for the price!
-
Wheres the Okuma and Penn owners ?