ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: Gerhard on August 27, 2012, 10:37:08 AM

Title: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Gerhard on August 27, 2012, 10:37:08 AM
I had an Xplorere Arbour reel that packed up on Saturday while fishing.


I am looking for an resonably priced Large Arbour reel.


Drag is not really a factor as I am fishing from a float tube 99.5% of the time.


What I do want is a reel that I can get fly line back on the reel ASAP when I have a fish on.


Lost a couple on Saturday due to this...


The spools for the reel needs to be reasonably priced as I have a couple of fly lines...


What suggestions???
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Lichia amia on August 27, 2012, 10:42:58 AM
Have a look at the Xplorere STX .
 
At under 600 bucks , very nice reel and spare spools gonna be under R250.
 
Lichia's 2c
 
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Gerhard on August 27, 2012, 11:04:55 AM
Have a look at the Xplorere STX .
 
At under 600 bucks , very nice reel and spare spools gonna be under R250.
 
Lichia's 2c


Thats the reel that packed up for no apparent reason while fishing...
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Lichia amia on August 27, 2012, 11:08:02 AM
How old was the reel ?
 
Get hold of Exploder and see if they can replace it .
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Gerhard on August 27, 2012, 11:10:57 AM
How old was the reel ?
 
Get hold of Exploder and see if they can replace it .


Cant remember...


Maybe 3 years
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Ettienne on August 27, 2012, 11:33:14 AM
Howsit. Can you be more specific as to what packed up please?  :dunno:  thank you.
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Gerhard on August 27, 2012, 11:42:39 AM
Howsit. Can you be more specific as to what packed up please?  :dunno:  thank you.


If you look at the photo Lichia amia posted


The drag as well as the "pin" where the spool comes in is loose...


Its the best I can describe it for now.


No more drag...


Spool now catch the "housing" when reeling line in.
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Ettienne on August 27, 2012, 12:01:17 PM
Thank you. I have the same reels in 2/3wt and 4/5wt. On the other side you have a retaining cap with a rubber o ring that keeps the spool in place and affects the drag and spool movement. I had to replace my retaining cap becoz i was stupid. duh  Otherwise these are basic solid reels. :rck"
Title: Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
Post by: Gerhard on August 27, 2012, 12:28:55 PM
Thank you. I have the same reels in 2/3wt and 4/5wt. On the other side you have a retaining cap with a rubber o ring that keeps the spool in place and affects the drag and spool movement. I had to replace my retaining cap becoz i was stupid. duh  Otherwise these are basic solid reels. :rck"


Why would the reel work during the morning and pack up late afternoon while fishing?


Lost my confidence in the reel...  duh


Have heard to many Xploder stories...  :dunno:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal