ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Andre Laas on August 05, 2010, 01:34:00 PM

Title: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Andre Laas on August 05, 2010, 01:34:00 PM
Hi guys
 
Want to rack your brains a bit. I am looking for a rod of about 12ft for casting lures of between 3 and 5 ounce with peak performance at about 4oz. This is for casting chisselnose plugs and stickbaits and also for scratching. Preferably 3 piece as it will need to travel with me. I want a rod that can travel and work hard, so not sure HMG is the way to go. I have a L&F 13ft that does the job when scratching, but is a tad heavy for plugging. What would you guys recommend?
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Jakes on August 05, 2010, 01:41:37 PM
Hi Critter,
 
You don't mention your budget so here's my 2c ... I use a 12ft Sensation Shad pro. The rod is rated 2-4 oz and will set you back about R700. I absolutely love mine but if I had to buy again I'd probably rather look at a 11ft or 10ft. I know L&F also makes a 10ft spinning rod but I've never used it so I cannot comment on the quality or price. On the upper end I suppose you could always ask Brendan @ Gremlins to build you a baby Pentagon spinning stick. For a 10ft std graphite you'll probably be looking at about R2K-R2.5K (I'm just guessing.)
 
Jakes
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: REEFMAN on August 05, 2010, 01:45:26 PM
Top in it's class is the 10ft Exage spinning rod... or the 11ft for multipliers. 10ft rated up to 7oz (not that you'd ever throw that with it!) and the 11ft to 9oz. That just gives an indication of it's pulling power and gives you the versatility of throwing 5 oz plugs if you need to. Rods are HMG, but are 2 piece. My 10ft is one of my favourite rods.
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Andre Laas on August 05, 2010, 01:47:39 PM
I had a look at the Poseidon HMG light.... probably perfect, but at R3k it is a bit much for me, and like I said HMG may be a bit fragile for me.
 
The Pentagon sounds like a plan!!! Custom built would be nice! I do not really have a budget for it right now.... just starting to do homework, but I would hope to get something below R1500.
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Andre Laas on August 05, 2010, 01:51:22 PM
Thanks Tony
 
I have heard great things about the Exhage rods and must have a look at them. Rated to 7oz is amazing!
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Marthin on August 05, 2010, 02:15:06 PM
critter... how big are you....

I know blue marlin makes a 14ft G3 spinning rod as well.  4-6 3 tips etc.  Braid on a decent grinder i'd rather have the longer one.  but that's just me.
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: landshark on August 05, 2010, 03:14:43 PM
As I said somewhere else, have a look at the Shimano Tiralejo.

A buddy of mine has his paired with a Stella 10000 and imho it is the best casting combo out there.
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: landshark on August 05, 2010, 03:24:16 PM
I had a look at the Poseidon HMG light.... probably perfect, but at R3k it is a bit much for me, and like I said HMG may be a bit fragile for me.
 
The Pentagon sounds like a plan!!! Custom built would be nice! I do not really have a budget for it right now.... just starting to do homework, but I would hope to get something below R1500.

Oh crumbs, I only noticed now that you are looking for something below R1500 - I think the Tiralejo nowadays retail around R3k  sry
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Kaspaas on August 05, 2010, 03:44:57 PM
Hi
Don't pooh-pooh this, but I recently bought an Adrenalin 11 ft Heavy spinning rod rated 4-6 oz before I took a trip to Flamingo Lodge, Angola. When the guys here at Adrenalin, Brackenfell heard I was planning on going they asked me to test their new (proto type) 12 ft HMG 4-6 oz spinning rod. On my return I suggested some improvements which they apparently took to heart. It will be interesting to see what the eventual product looks like.
Anyway, getting back to the 11 ft rod. Man, that is one brilliant rod. I ended up fishing with it most of the time. I paired it with a Daiwa Exceller 4000E reel with ,22 mm (25lb) braid. Although rated 4-6 oz I chucked a 3 oz plug as far as anyone. It never tired me although we fished for 8 days non-stop. I took several fish (Garrick and Shad) up to 7 kg and I never felt that it couldn't handle anything. I know a lot of guys scoff at the Adrenalin brand but I am sold on my 11 footer. At R500 it was probably the best buy I have made in many a moon. Maybe you should also look at it when you consider your options.
My 2c
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Andre Laas on August 05, 2010, 03:49:24 PM
The price is unfortionately bit of a factor, but I have always been willing to wait/save a bit longer to get the perfect tool for the job.
 
Marthin, I am about 1.8m and of big frame. I would not at all mind a longer rod, as this is for R&S applications, and extra length help to get that bit extra distance when necessary. I am doing homework so will follow up all suggestions at this stage.
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Andre Laas on August 05, 2010, 03:53:34 PM
Hi
Don't pooh-pooh this, but I recently bought an Adrenalin 11 ft Heavy spinning rod rated 4-6 oz before I took a trip to Flamingo Lodge, Angola. When the guys here at Adrenalin, Brackenfell heard I was planning on going they asked me to test their new (proto type) 12 ft HMG 4-6 oz spinning rod. On my return I suggested some improvements which they apparently took to heart. It will be interesting to see what the eventual product looks like.
Anyway, getting back to the 11 ft rod. Man, that is one brilliant rod. I ended up fishing with it most of the time. I paired it with a Daiwa Exceller 4000E reel with ,22 mm (25lb) braid. Although rated 4-6 oz I chucked a 3 oz plug as far as anyone. It never tired me although we fished for 8 days non-stop. I took several fish (Garrick and Shad) up to 7 kg and I never felt that it couldn't handle anything. I know a lot of guys scoff at the Adrenalin brand but I am sold on my 11 footer. At R500 it was probably the best buy I have made in many a moon. Maybe you should also look at it when you consider your options.
My 2c

That sounds great Kaspaas.... I will have to check it out! Luckily I am not a brand slave so I am quite willing to look at their rods. I just have never seen any of their rods here in Durbs. Will keep an eye out
Title: Re: Rod that peaks at 4oz - best options?
Post by: Kaspaas on August 06, 2010, 11:09:41 AM
@Critter. Check on their website. They indicate who sells their stuff.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal