ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Traces and Rigs => Topic started by: WalkersKiller on June 07, 2012, 10:36:58 AM

Title: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 07, 2012, 10:36:58 AM
Hi guys, thought I would share the double hook trace with you that I use more than  any other trace off the rocks and in the surf. It is a very simple trace, easy to tie, easy to use, and seems to work very well. The size of the hooks used here mean you can catch almost anything when the bigger fish are off the bite.

On this trace and variations of this trace I have caught the following:

What you will need:

*2x size 6 Mustad hooks
*1x 3-way Swivel
*2x glow beads or floating beads, any colour, yellow, green and orange are winners
*15-20lb line for the trace

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Img_0204.jpg)

Tying The Trace


Measure out 2 pieces of trace line, 15cm in length.

Tie both pieces of trace line to different points of the 3 way swivel. I use the improved clinch knot.

Add your sliding beads and move them down to the knot at the swivel.

Then tie your hooks to the end of the trace line using the same knot as above.

Test all four knots, and then clip off the tag ends close to the knots.

Tie it to your main line. Attach, sinker or float and cast  :-)

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Img_0205.jpg)

WK  :FST:
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: Toppie on June 07, 2012, 10:49:09 AM
What's the purpose/function of the beads WK?
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 07, 2012, 10:52:11 AM
The yellow beads float, and the green ones glow. It is basically for colour in the water, similar to using a skirt. I have noticed, especially in the Eastern Cape, guys who fish with the 3 colour beads above nail the fish. So it is something I have experimented worth and seems to work quite well.

Basically for colour/glow, movement and floatation  :-)
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: Kumz on June 07, 2012, 10:53:22 AM
 (clap)  Nice 1 ...  :win:
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WJ on June 07, 2012, 12:24:23 PM
Awesome trace :win:  I use a variation of your trace when I am scratching for bigger fish. :gt: :gljn:
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 07, 2012, 12:25:52 PM
Wow great trace WJ!!!!!  :+ cred:
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: Zetti on June 07, 2012, 12:53:02 PM
G, are those beads available in tackle shops?
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 07, 2012, 01:02:16 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no.

I have about 50 in my tackle box from about 30 years a go.

They might be available in some shops though... Its a very light wood that has excellent buoyancy
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: Kumz on June 07, 2012, 01:39:03 PM
G, are those beads available in tackle shops?

Yes sir ... they are ....  w;k .. perhaps not the same colour  .. but you get them in various colours ... and sizes ...
I also use a small variant , will show you when we meet  ...  w;k
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: deezynking on June 07, 2012, 01:44:45 PM
G, are those beads available in tackle shops?

I have seen alot of plastic and few foam beads. not wooden.
 
Excellent post again G.
nice alternative trace to WJ as well.
 :+ cred:  to both of you
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 07, 2012, 01:51:52 PM
Thanks DK, yeah thats why I am not sure if you can buy the wooden ones anymore  :dunno:
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: Nakkie on September 06, 2012, 02:50:36 PM
WK,


It might sound like silly questions but I have got 3...


1) sinkers to use - 2-4oz?
2) Should the sinker line be longer that the hook snoots? And
3) Do you attach the sinker line to the third eye of the swivel together with your mainline?

 :dunno: Gotta ask...
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 06, 2012, 02:55:33 PM
Not at all Nakkie  :-)

I use between a 1 and 4 ounce with a sinker snood that is longer, which is tied to the third eye where the mainline would be tied on.
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: Nakkie on September 06, 2012, 03:01:04 PM
Thanks Garreth. Will make some for December. Very interesting with the beads... Could one put some floatation on one hook and the beads on the other? My thinking is that you then have one bait higher that the other.  :dunno:
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 06, 2012, 03:19:52 PM
Its often a good idea to use floatation with or instead of the beads, especially when fishing in the brix
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: craigb on September 06, 2012, 06:30:41 PM
Nice post<and great trace,use it often off the brix.Wj i like your version as well,do you think it will work for brusher with a mussel on each hook? 
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: PH on September 07, 2012, 06:32:43 AM
Thanks Gareth. It looks like a good "all-rounder" trace. Even I can make that trace. :hnthnt:
Will use it next week on the South Coast.
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 07, 2012, 08:30:14 AM
Thanks guys, Craig if you replace the 2 hooks with 4/0's it will definitely work for Brusher, have caught a few small Brusher on the trace, but to target larger ones bigger hooks should be used I reckon.

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_0402.jpg)
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: craigb on September 07, 2012, 06:59:10 PM
 :rotfl i reckon you right.I dont think ive ever seen one so small,nice.
Title: Re: WK's Basic Double Hook Scratching Trace
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 10, 2012, 08:23:25 AM
:rotfl i reckon you right.I dont think ive ever seen one so small,nice.
:hehe: bru the average size Karanteen I catch were bigger than that Brusher  :hyst:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal