Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Braid Setup For sea Bottom Fishing

Author Topic: Braid Setup For sea Bottom Fishing  (Read 189 times)

Offline TimTDP

• Cred: 0
Braid Setup For sea Bottom Fishing
« on: July 21, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »
I am moving from traditional mono line to braid
My mono set up would be a running ball sinker on the mono line, swivel, leader with hook.
But I am reluctant to have a running sinker on braid as it may damage the braid.
So this would mean braid, swivel, leader with running sinker, swivel, leader with hook.
Too many knots and swivels! and I probably over complicating matters

Would welcome all suggestions on a decent set up for bottom fishing at sea

Thanks in advance

Offline Echo7

• Cred: 4
Re: Braid Setup For sea Bottom Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »
Most guys fishing braid have a mono/fluoro leader about 2-3m long, braid doesn't have much stretch or "give" hence the need for mono's shock-absorbing qualities.
The setup most commonly used in this particular order:

Braid to mono/fluoro joined with a variety of knots eg: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=73.0, this is dependent on the rated weight of braid/leader.
A heavy duty swivel or clip on swivel is attached to the end of the leader for quick changing of traces.
Last is your trace with sinker and hook.

In KZN bottom traces are typically the Christmas tree style with 3-6 hooks and hook snoots of around 20-40cm and average hooks sizes of between 2/0 to 6/0. The only time we fish single hooks is for Geelbek.

Offline TimTDP

• Cred: 0
Re: Braid Setup For sea Bottom Fishing
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 12:10:28 PM »
Thanks very much :tkx:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal