Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Using a Braid leader for Casting

Author Topic: Using a Braid leader for Casting  (Read 50733 times)

Offline carll

• Spin a Holic
  • Cred: 11
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »
Eisch I can believe there are no lure's available. So the people living there dont fish  :shk If I read your reports it looks like a

fishing meka ....

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 75
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 03:16:57 AM »
Eisch I can believe there are no lure's available. So the people living there dont fish  :shk If I read your reports it looks like a

fishing meka ....

Ok, let me refrase that...

If you are a Rapala collector you will have a field day in the little 4x2 size shopies.

But thats it.

No plugs, spoons, poppers nit even to talk about rods and reels...

Closest place from me is Ocean Active in Dubai about 1500km away.

I am now trying to find a way to ship a Amia rod without braking the bank but will probably will have to wait till Jan next year when I go home for a couple of weeks to stock up again...

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 75
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
So I tested the bimini and braid stitch setup this morning...

Not happy at all about the combo i made.

Out came the braid scissors and a quick spider hitch in the 20lbs braid and the same in the 50lbs braid.

cats paw to connect with FG not on leader and i was back fishing in a jiffy. The spider hitch knots are nice and small in the braid and run smooth trough the Amia's eyes...

Offline carll

• Spin a Holic
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
Yes the Amia is fitted with those small micro guides.  I donít like them and I got tired of losing expensive lures through   braid snap-offs mid-cast. I replaced it with the K-Series   (anti-fouling) Concept

guides from  Fuji,that makes a HUGE difference !

Offline Fishersteve

• Cred: 14
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
Great idea  (clap) going to try this.  :tkx:

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 765
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »
Using the above method this last week, made approximately 2000 casts without a single snapoff or Wind Knot, casting anything from 1oz to 4oz plugs (met geweld)...
Done properly, this system is Champion and has revolutionized my spinning experience.
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Haroldg

• Cred: 7
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
Hi Tony
1-4oz is a very versatile range. I have yet to find an outfit servicing this range of lures. Would you mind telling us the outfit you're using? With this outfit do you not find that you have to really push hard to get the lighter 1-1.5oz lures out. The reason I ask is because the outfits I've looked at work well with either 1-2oz or 3oz-4oz but not in the 1-4oz you mention.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »
I didn't explain myself clearly. Yes you are absolutely right about the range.
I use an Exceler 10ft to cast 3 and 4 oz; Sustain 5000
Beastmaster 7ft to cast 1 and 2oz; Stradic 5000
1000 casts each, no breaks.
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline carll

• Spin a Holic
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:49 PM »
Im using this knot to join my Braided leader to my Braid main line and   then also to join the Braid leader to my Fluoro leader. Its a

modified Bob Sands knot or so called here in SA Slim Beauty. I was massively impressed with the results of the ease of the Bob

Sands knot and absolute amazing strength of the connection,now and I'm sold on it ! Each failure I had was where the

mainline parted and never the braid or connection.

@ Reef .. you going to like this website ... its scary to see knots that fail at 42% - 60% ... Knots that we every day use !

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4lineknotsused.htm

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 07:16:35 AM »
Been speaking with Paulus for years, he's a member here on UA.. Have sent him many samples of lines and knots for testing...
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline deezynking

• Ultimate Chancer
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 15
  • Feeesshhhhh
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »
I know this might sound silly, but i recently got into lure fishing/spinning.
I learnt by accident about the braid leader story.
I got +-13kg fireline joined to 50lb braid using uni/figure 8 knot. the thin fireline is doubled. i have a lockknot on both and on a test the knot seats well and seems strong. I have not caught any monster fish with this as yet. my mono is roughly a meter long joined with an albright knot. best fight thus far was about a 14kilo grey.

should i retire from what i am doing as this currently works for me and practice the braid stitch?

shot alot , thanks in advance

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »
Deez, the Braid Stitch is much better than any other method of making a loop, so if you want to improve your setup, then it's the way to go.
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Haroldg

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 12:04:34 PM »
OK, so after I got my new Sustain I found out that I made a rookie mistake. If you spin with braid and use a leader, don't make your leader long enough for the knots to pass through your rod's eyes. When you cast the knots will slow down your mono slightly which causes a loop or over-wind in your braid which can then easily wrap around your rod eyes.  :blush:  I did not know this. 
Yes Homie, straf dop time!  :hehe:

After keeping the short leader knot outside the top eye for many years I've started using a longer leader - down to half a rod length; I'm using the FG knot (there are a few ways of tying this - find the one that you prefer). there is no knot as such and no resistance through the guides. The leader thickness also doesn't matter with this knot. I would like to try a full length leader with a few turns on the reel at some point but figure that although there is no knot there would be an issue when the leader unwinds from the spool.

Offline Haroldg

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »
just one more thing.... the reason for the longer leader ie inside the guides is that I reckon with the amount of initial pressure put on the braid flying through the guides there is bound to be a weakening of this specific length of braid - the leader is much better able to absorb this punishment?

Offline BAUMANNATOR

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
Haroldg, just my 2c worth....rather go with a slightly thicker braid as a casting leader (fireline  works brilliantly 'crystal' especially), this is not so thick as to affect the speed of the line through the eyes, but gives insurance to the wear and tear from the release finger and takes the strain of the cast better. I have used the mono to the reel, but avoid it being on the reel, as it comes off in coils and increases chance of guide wrap. Mono will reduce the distance you cast by increased resistance as it travels through the eyes.

Offline Haroldg

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
Baumannator - thanks, will give Fireline a try sometime - you're quite right about the problems with a full length leader with mono. I know of a few chaps using thicker braid leaders but wanted to stay with a fluoro leader due to its properties under water.

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 02:18:05 PM »
I went for a 3 hour session this morning and the new reel and braid performed very well. I am also worried about the wear on the braid but check it after every 20-30 casts.

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 31
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »
The braid will never wear so quickly because of the casting. I spin for 2-3 hours every morning and do an inspection of the braid twice a week. I find the biggest wear comes from the very coarse sand on the steep KZN beaches right at the shore-break.

Offline abdb

• Cred: 0
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
HI
Could you repost the Braid Stitch Knot. I cannot open it in the previous link posted.
Tried the Double main to double thicker braid leader but it is a bit noisy through the guides and with subsequent loss of distance.
Using 30  and 20 lb braid.
Found that the braid wears at the bail and have lost a few lures due to the weakening of the main line. I have been cutting off 4 meters of mainline to avoid this but am getting a bit low on the reel.
Thanks
Anthony

Offline abdb

• Cred: 0
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
Thanks for the link. Working now for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal