Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Geelbek & Kob

Author Topic: Geelbek & Kob  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
Geelbek & Kob
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »
To start of a serious conversation on this forum, I would like to discuss methods, rigs etc. for targeting Geelbek and Kob as this is the next fishing season upon us for 2010.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

Offline Action Man

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 35
Re: Geelbek & Kob
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:54:59 PM »
Mike i would recommend you use circles...not going to lie you might miss or lose a few fish gettig use to them but once you got the hang of it you cant miss!
Especially in durbs when fishing the deep reefs for Bek most of the time you using small live baits or whole sardine, the same for kob and they dont hold back when you out there they take that bait inside as it not often they get e free meal! lol

P.s hows business been with the world cup? get clients into some good fish?
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:21:50 AM »
I use circles a lot, but I would like guys to show some of their traces, and am interested in the depths fished and methods used.

I like to fish a 2 hook trace 1200mm apart using 0.65-1mm for my leader depending on tackle used, and I prefer to use live bait. If I have to resort to sardines, then I also load the hook with some chokka as often they steal the sard and then come back and get hooked on the chokka.

I want to experiment with downriggers this year for these fish, any thoughts.

What structure are you guys looking for? I know ledges, holes and wrecks work well.

Lets share a little
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:23:53 AM by Fishing Adventures »
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

benniejordaan

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »
Hey bud,
  I know you know exactly how to do this!
  One thing we have experienced is they come out on the deep wrecks but it   depends on the sardines. If we have a good run and they come to shore,   we get the bek in good numbers in shallow water! Our best catches have   been in 40m of water.

As for the trace, I use the same, 2 hook trace 1,5m from sinker and   another 1,5m to second hook! 8/0 or 9/0 hooks with a small glow skirt   green or pink. Use a thick gauge hook because their mouths are very   soft.

When they are here, I often find that when you get your first pull, set   the hook and retrieve 2m or so and wait. Chances are you get a second   take on the second bottom hook.

Some important facts!

Geelbek tend to hang around reefs, pinnacles and wrecks. They generally   hang 2 or 3m above the reef.

Sand soldiers work well for bek and although they love mackerel, sand   soldiers do make up a good part of their diet! So if all you get is sand   soldiers, use them!

Bek is one of my favourite eating fish and my family loves catching them   too!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »
Hi Bennie,

Please post a pic of the skirts, this is something I have never tried.

What line are you using for your trace?

Now I have found a use for sand soldiers. At last! (clap)

FA

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »
Bennie, any thoughts on downrigging  :fshng:

benniejordaan

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:18:36 AM »
Mike,
I don't fish for Geelbek unless they are here thick. If I do get them it is a by-catch. When they are finally here, best time is from the arrival of the sardines, I catch them quickly and I think a down rigger would unnecessary! Tonight, I'll post the standard natal trace we use! We don't fish for them at the deap wrecks much. Last year you would have to, the sards stayed far out. Previous year they came close to shore and we were getting them as shallow as 25m. Majority of our fish have come out in the 50m range. When we do go, you need to join us, we'll take pics of the sounding etc to post.

One thing I do is sound for them before fishing! We learnt a valuable lesson! Found fishing at dusk before we get the geelbek, we get these little buggers!

River snapper!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »
Thanks, now tell us about Kob.

Anyone else want to contribute..... :crzy

Offline nico

• The original man (*)(*)
  • Cred: 47
  • Click above for cred!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
I use pretty much the same rig for Gellbek and Kob, as described above. Sometimes is will use a glow bead in stead of the 2 inch Yama**STOP SWEARING **a luminous squid above the hook.

Bennie likes to use a grinder, I used a short stick and grinder a couple of times last year, but with your trace being 2 1/2 to 3 meters long, I will go back to my long stick and big KP this year. I guess this comes down to personal preference.

As you sometimes fish fairly deep, braid is a must - not only do you feel the bite but you can use a smaller sinker in the current; with the bag limit being 2 per man on bek it is not worth while to anchor so we just drift.

EDIT: Apparently Yamash uhm.. ita is a swear word! LOL
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:19:15 PM by nico »

benniejordaan

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »

EDIT: Apparently Yamash uhm.. ita is a swear word! LOL

Only when you see the price!

Offline Sailfish

• Cred: 6
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
This is what i use for deep reefs and 2nd one for shallow reefs.
WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GO FISHING

Offline nico

• The original man (*)(*)
  • Cred: 47
  • Click above for cred!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »
This is what i use for deep reefs and 2nd one for shallow reefs.

I find it amazing how different our methods and depths are for fishing for the same species in the WC compared to KZN. I have fished for kabeljou and bek off Gansbaai in 6 meters of water with a handline and no weight, here we fish up to 100m of water.

I will try my hand at MS Paint and try to do a trace.

./n

Offline Sailfish

• Cred: 6
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »

I find it amazing how different our methods and depths are for fishing for the same species in the WC compared to KZN. I have fished for kabeljou and bek off Gansbaai in 6 meters of water with a handline and no weight, here we fish up to 100m of water.

./n
I fished Plett and PE quite a long time and all depends on the strenth of the down current running and how fast you dift if not ancored. Here in the WC we however do have a problem with seabirds diving after the bait when you throw the handline tight away from the boat. So it is nessesary to put a wait on the rig to let it sink a bit faster. Not always good for fishing the shy and finnegy fish, but keeps you from catching the seabirds. Some smaller spesie than the Basjan that is mostly around the boat. Don't know there name.
WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GO FISHING

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »

./n

Yes it is interesting, and the reason for my post, I want to learn as I am sure there is much I do not know.

A typical Rig that I use is 6 ounce sinker the 1.2m up to treble swivel another 1.2m up to next treble swivel all with 50lb and then from the trebles 0.6m with 0.65-1mm to 9/0 hook.

I used to use 30lb mono but more an more I am using 60lb braid on a large spinning reel, am also using circle hooks more frequenty nowadays.

I am sure there is a lot more on this subject.

Offline eric cotton

• Banned
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
Was at the club this afternoon and few guys were getting their traces ready and cleaning up the rods, as they claim it would be the best time for bek after this cold front.
Never fished for them but will be try this year and will be watching this space for some real info from the BIG mannas
 :fshie

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
Well I will have a try for them tomorrow for a while.  :fshstry

benniejordaan

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
This is my trace! The 80 Lb is heavy and can be reduced to 60Lb or even 50Lb.

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
This is my trace! The 80 Lb is heavy and can be reduced to 60Lb or even 50Lb.

That is basically the same rig I use, except that I use 1.2m as opoosed to your 1.5.

Is there a specific reason you use 1.5m?

benniejordaan

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »
Just to clarify...

Generally Geelbek hold away from the reef and above a small pinacle. The long trace will place the bait in the right spot. On many occasions we have fished 3 up and all bring double hook ups to the boat within an hour or 2! As I said earlier, set the hook for the first then pause and wait for the second hook up!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:08 PM »
Thanks for you info, I learnt something new here with the squids and will try them out tomorrow have also included my glow beads as always.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal