Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Boat trolling bars

Author Topic: Boat trolling bars  (Read 389 times)

Offline fishing mike

• Cred: 0
Boat trolling bars
« on: March 01, 2021, 11:28:52 PM »
Hi AllI have noticed after viewing at various boat designs, that S.A. is the only country fitting rod troll bars at the back of our boats.I have seen none on any AUS/ NZ or American boats. They all use the 45 deg rod holders in the gunnels for their trolling rodsThe only advantage to the troll bar is that the rod tip is closer to the water, thus the lure can run deeper. The rest of the world fish with the rod tips in the upright position.Are there any other benefits that I am missing or it is just a case that it has always been done this way.Would love to know

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • I'd rather be fishing
Re: Boat trolling bars
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 06:54:22 AM »
The roll bar is also there to protect your engines in the event that you go over in the surf. Offers a form of protection to the motors if they are installed correctly.

Remember we are one of the few countries that go to sea through the surf.
2019 Yeld cat 17Ft with 2 x F70 yammies

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »
The roll bar is also there to protect your engines in the event that you go over in the surf. Offers a form of protection to the motors if they are installed correctly.

Remember we are one of the few countries that go to sea through the surf.

:corrct: What he said... We have ended up with rod holders because the roll bar is a convenient location, the bar didn't evolve as a good place to put rods. But to be honest, many of the roll bars I've seen have weak mountings and wouldn't offer much protection to the motors in the event of a roll.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline John F

• Cred: 520
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »
I hate the bloody things!

Think is is a concept that was a good idea back in the day and simply refuses to die.... imagining being tossed from the wheel and breaking your ribs in one of those things?!!? Probably a good idea when life jackets were not mandatory/popularly used....  I'd rather use a life jacket and be tossed overboard in one piece....

Eventually it got more and more popular into the fishing arena... man can't say I'm a big fan... did I mention I hate the bloody things?!?  :rotfl

Both as a skipper and an angler, I like to have full 180 degree clear vision of what's going on in the deck... boats are cluttered places and rods need to be moved around when fighting a fish... these boards are always in the way ... and people even lose rods when that occasional bumpy swell comes along... lifts the rod and forward momentum of the boat rips the rod into the depths !!!!!The strong wind / trolling argument... I can understand that commercials need to fish to make a living and thus push it to some extremes. I'm not a commercial and I don't fish in extreme conditions (more and more as I get older... erhmm I mean wiser  :hyst: ) ... so if it is too windy to keep lines in the water, I should probably be home enjoying a nice cup of coffee!

Also, my lures swim pretty good on standing up rods... mine and every where else around the world.... well, maybe not south of S26o 52  UTC+2  :hyst:

Think it is just a sign of how "conservative" the boating industry in SA is... 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 05:50:05 AM by John F »
Acecraft 660 DV (Work in progress)
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Drago

• Cred: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 07:02:02 PM »
I not sure if hate those but I have thick 3cm polyethylene plates on top of those roll bars with 4 Scotties . It helps to keep balance while standing and fighting fish as gunnels are bit short for me. But fully agree , if you fall backwards on those some ribs may give up .
But when you talk of old fashion my word be rather retarded design. I have 6 drink holders but only 4 rod holders in gunnels in total . Both hatches to go inside FC are so narrow that you rub your hips properly ever time you want to get inside to fetch whatever . There was a center hatch door that had 4 drawers behind . Now if you hit wave and hatch door opens , you have all 4 drawers flying out and spilling everything that was insde . So I cut thst crap out for the good . So now I have 3 hatch doors that leads insde FC . And all 3 are too narrow. T top was made so high ( I guess for basketball player)  that to fit or take out rods , you have to stand on the coffin seat that is little bit away from t top and you have stretch yourself to reach the rods. Only possible to fit or remove rods is while outboards are in idle and even while not running boat on a rough sea you have a danger of falling off with rod.
Rear part of gunnels where they reach transom are down sloped towards the transom - and all water that gets insde gunnel ( through the battery hatches ) ends up sitting against transom wood and cannot drain back  - how clever was this - amazing design ....
You may guessed - 565

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal