Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Launch Ettiquite

Author Topic: Launch Ettiquite  (Read 385 times)

Offline stephenrplumb

• Cred: 2
Launch Ettiquite
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:23:11 AM »
I had the good fortune to spend a week at sodwana just before christmas and I must say I was a little disappointed by the skipper behaviour and a lot of it seemed to be from bigger/commercial boats? Much of my boating experience as a youth was gained inland and one thing you soon learn is not to bugger around on the slipway. You get your boat prepped and ready away from the slipway and then you reverse down, get your boat in the water and get out the way for the next user.

I found at Sodwana that guys would come down on the beach and then park their boat right in the launch area and then spend 30mins setting up outriggers, fitting plugs, getting life jackets on, and what seemed like endless other tasks. Because the beach is so soft it makes it basically inaccessible for everyone else throughout that time.

This is not a show stopper,  but it can certainly be irritating and a bit of basic courtesy and setting up your boat away from the launch area where the sand is harder anyway, would make life a lot easier for everyone.

I have noticed a little of the same behaviour at DSBC where the tractor drivers are under a lot of pressure at the moment, and guys get their boat on the beach and then start to flap around and take ages to get their boat ready to offload. The slipway mentality clearly needs to bleed into the ski boating community and we should realise that we are sharing a limited resource, be it tractors or a launch able slot on the beach.

I would hope much of this behaviour is just unconscious, as most of the guys are really nice, but a little thought of others could make the whole experience better for all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal