Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Downrigger pancake weight

Author Topic: Downrigger pancake weight  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Serra Moz

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
Re: Downrigger pancake weight
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 11:46:16 PM »
Quick and easy DIY downrigger pancake weight .
Bought small stainless wok 14cm dia . R 380
Measured 2kg of lead and put in a wok and on gas stove . 15min and it was melted . Scooped with spoon all debris and left to cool .
One half done , another half done bit later .
Then 15min with Corel Draw, converted file into a DXF .
Sent file to Metal Centre - and after week job done . R 78 per laser cut including material  (SS316L  2mm thick)  . Made few .
What is left is just to bolt two halves and dip in durabak.

You should fabricate these.... willing buyer / willing seller? = ME!.... my email is: britz747@gmail.com.... (I am at sea, so no phone..... emails works when lucky)
Happy days!

Offline Drago

• Cred: 2
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 08:13:02 PM »
Serra , I will email you !
>

John - thanks . I was thinking if durabak is a right product for this lead as itís a rough finish , even spray on version is not smooth at all . Need smooth rubberizing compound that is also tough . Donít know of any ..
On fiberglass pole - idea was to be flexi to lower possibility of braid snapping during the choppy sea and lead being bounced constantly . But yes , experimenting is only way . Thank you for all input .
Wanted to ask you about your sliding technique . Would not your bait with those two swivels, small sinker and elastic band climb up the main downrigger braid once you trolling ?
>
Travelmember - I tried to picture your setup but donít get all . Also you pulling a dredge with 4kg weight at 8 knots . That must be a massive drag. Where do you pull dredge - from one of sides ? With the dredge in water how many lines you have in a water and are they deeper below surface ? Just curios . I was also thinking of buying a dredge but on small boat (565)  , I see that as a disaster to happen . I am guessing you have 28ft or similar boat .

Offline John F

• Cred: 520
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:44 PM »
Don't  think you need to worry about breaking 200 Lb braid!!! That's super strong...

The forward movement of the boat and the sinker push the rig down... when the sinker is going down start trolling slow.... I usually keep it at 4.5-5 knots
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:40:43 PM by John F »
Acecraft 660 DV (Work in progress)
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal