Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Trailer legality - North coast

Author Topic: Trailer legality - North coast  (Read 853 times)

Offline stephenrplumb

• Cred: 2
Trailer legality - North coast
« on: December 17, 2020, 08:53:02 PM »
I headed to Sodwana today and got knicked just after ballito. This would probably affect any ski boaters towing anything of substance. in my case an amarok tare or 1874kgs, towing an ace glider 530 with GVM of trailer listed as 3500kgs, although the boat and trailer comes in around 1950 dry.

Anyway, having just fitted an oil filled axle, I was loving the trip until the moment I was pulled over. Everything was legal, license disc on trailer and vehicle, my drivers, the lights. Then officer started looking at discs and plates and told me that my rig was illegal.

My amarok is rated to tow 2800kgs and I know the law, but have never actually seen it enforced. For those that are not aware, you can only run with overrun brakes up to the tare mass of the two vehicle So in my case that puts me around 1874kgs and as soon as I exceed that, I need service/coupled/direct brakes.

The issue is that they look at the trailer GVM and not the actual mass you are towing, so I would look into this for anyone heading up the north coast of the next few days as I would bet that around 98% of ski boats are not likely to be strictly legal.

I am not looking at options to reduce my GVM, or see what options are available for service brakes. I have looked at Alko and Burquip and never seen anything that resembles service brakes, so any pointers? If you are going north, can I strongly advise you go inland at ballitto and don't come back onto N2 before zinkwazi. I did encounter another road block a little further north as well, just after the next toll booth, cant recall the name of that one.

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • I'd rather be fishing
Re: Trailer legality - North coast
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 07:48:35 AM »
the cops that side have cottoned on that most boats being towed are illegal.
They are looking out for it now and have heard of a few guys being stopped in that area.
2019 Yeld cat 17Ft with 2 x F70 yammies

Offline Bassa

• Yafoor
  • Cred: 13
  • pelagic hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »

N2 highway  traveling north bound
(from Durban to cape vidal)

There are 3 weight bridge , as follows...

1- Before  tongaat toll plaza (Verulem offramp)
2- After mvoti toll plaza (groutville offramp)
3- umflozi (before matubatuba Town )

I Traveled early this morning from empangeni to Durban  for work and witnessed every truck and bakkie towing a trailer was pulled off  by RTI  to the weight bridge at the tongaat plaza.
Silly season, cops are on full duty I see

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 05:04:07 PM by Bassa »
when days are dark...Fish are few ...Tag it, or bag it.
Sharks swim slow before they attack.
Smile and Sail... or Frown and Drown.

Offline stephenrplumb

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 05:07:43 AM »
The umfolozi one in true local tradition looked abandoned and a but knackered. The other two were pretty active. I will be looking at an alternative route back to Dbn that skips the toll roads.

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 05:50:24 AM »
Many venter type trailers that have a capacity of 750kg are towed illegally as the tow vehicle must weigh 1500kg , double the trailer weight . that excludes most sedans , the trailer companies have now rated the identical trailers at 550kg capacity to sidestep this ,thus enabling the trailer to be towed by smaller cars .  :toppie:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:39:53 AM by colin »
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline marctrevenen

• Cred: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
 Stephenrplumb, I have been in the same predicament and the only way to legalize my new boats trailer brake system was to upgrade to a suitable Electric Over Hydraulic (EOH) actuator system or vacuum system. Even though this boat is garaged at Sodwana for +90% of the year, there are times that I tow it through to Maputo or Richards Bay, in Sodwana I use a tractor (6Tons) thatís twice the weight of both boat and trailer which makes it quite easy on the beach. I still use the overrun system as a handbrake option. (There was another thread where I think Little Hooker gave some detail on his brake system upgrade)

I decided to go with the Hydrastar Marine 1600 PSI brake actuator with their breakaway kit from the USA, that was installed with the 2 x LA axles on the trailer. (I could not find a Hydrastar XL actuator that has a built-in controller and Iím not sure if itís still sold by Hydrastar) I purchased this all through eBay at about $700 plus shipping and customs costs.

There are a few options available regarding a EOH brake controller in your tow vehicle, (The brake controller is an electronic device that is installed in your tow vehicle's cab or on your trailer and activates your trailer brakes via an electrical signal to the EOH brake actuator whenever you apply your tow vehicle brakes.)

If you going to use the same tow vehicle every time you tow you could purchase a controller thatís fitted in your vehicles cab, i.e. a Tekonsha P3 controller, there are different types of in cab controllers with their respective pros and cons so one needs to do some research before making a purchase.

If you use different vehicles to tow your trailer you may want to opt for a trailer-based controller rather than installing another in cab controller in the second vehicle. I opted for a trailer-based controller from Australia, itís a ďElecbrakesĒ controller that uses an App on your phone to setup and manage. I purchased this controller here in SA from a company called PurpleSa.co.za. One must ensure that the controller you purchase can operate EOH brakes actuator as some only work with electric brakes as used on some caravans and trailers overseas. By going with this Elecbrake controller the EOH brake system will work when towing with my tractor.

In all, the electric over hydraulic brake system cost me about R23k, that is quite an expensive upgrade on your trailer but from a safety and insurance view may be well worth it should one have an accident.

Offline stephenrplumb

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
HI @marctrevenen - You have no idea how helpful this is.

I am going to make a plan to import one of these asap.
Cheers
Stephen

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 765
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 08:14:08 AM »
Excellent info Marc!  :+ cred:
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline stephenrplumb

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »
Just a follow up to this, as I have been slowly researching my path from JHB as I don't use my boat every weekend.
I will be importing the Hydrastart XL marine brake controller this week, and have just had confirmation from Redarc that their pro trailer controller will drive the hydra start without issues.

This means that I can get 2 x trailer controllers - 1 for my car and one for the wifes, and then both vehicles will be able to legally tow the boat.

I shall still have to do some handy work on adapting the trailer from cable disc brakes to be able to use the hydraulic circuit, but this will be a bit of mechanical engineering so should not present a problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal