Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Eastern Cape Bottom fishing

Author Topic: Eastern Cape Bottom fishing  (Read 592 times)

Offline Nooduck

• Cred: 13
Eastern Cape Bottom fishing
« on: November 09, 2020, 09:07:03 PM »
I have not done deep sea fishing in about 10 years :-(

Plan is too do a few trips out in December close to Kei mouth.

What would be the best bottom fishing rig to use?
I assume the good old 2 or 3 hook "Christmas tree" trace still works?
Must I use circle hooks or J's?
Hook size?

Offline tkei

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 92
Re: Eastern Cape Bottom fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 10:53:53 AM »
Best trace is still a 2 hook trace made with 2x 3 way swivels. I generally use 100lb leader for the trace , hook snoods and also the linking line.  +_ 50-60cm between the swivels, 50cm bottom hook  snood to a 7-9/0 kendal round or once of the short shank 4x strength hooks.
 top hook 40-45cm snood to 1 5-7/0 hook. I like the kendal rounds in 9 and 10/0 but in 5-7's they tend to bend open on a bigger fish. the short shanks i find better. Value for money cant go wrong with the bandit/ landit 4x strnght. dont bother with their other hooks or go more premium brand, mustad big game, gamakatsu, BKK etc.

sinker use a much lighter line. length is dependent on preference. I use shorter than bottom hook snood, others use long up to 2m. your choice.

I often use a luminous bead on the hook trace just above the hook. whether it adds to effectivness I dont know but if deep it must have some attraction to mr fish.

Offline Nooduck

• Cred: 13
Re: Eastern Cape Bottom fishing
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 12:13:29 PM »
 :tkx: for the reply Tkei.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal