Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Jigging Rod & Reel | Balance

Author Topic: Jigging Rod & Reel | Balance  (Read 785 times)

Offline gareth88

• Cred: 1
Jigging Rod & Reel | Balance
« on: September 30, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
Hi all,

Up to this point I've exclusively done very light jigging and drop-shotting over reef, using medium light rods (Trevela being a favourite).

I'm looking to scale up a bit and have my eye in the Trevela 6'6 medium heavy. What I'd like to ask of of you with more experience is what size Shimano reel would be best to pair with it? I was thinking either a 10 or 14K?

Lastly, would this setup have enough grunt to keep me out of trouble?   :gt:

Many thanks,

Gareth

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 58
Re: Jigging Rod & Reel | Balance
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 02:26:30 PM »
I use a 10K on my Trevala and find it a nice balance. I am a small / light angler, so can't winch in the big fish like some, but have found the setup to have more than enough backbone for reasonable GTs and Doggies.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Davo

• Cred: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:31:36 PM »
Hi Gareth

For me on the 6.6 MH a shimano 8000 size reel is perfect. It will handle a kingie up to about 16kg and a bit larger with a massive tastle. For me the 8000 saragosa is a great reel, other brands in the same size are all good. the rod a reel in the 8000 size is well balanced and can be used for spinning and light popping too, the setup is a great all round combination.

Offline gareth88

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 08:09:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated.

Sounds like the right setup, although I would still be in for a hiding if a proper GT or Amber latched on.

Lastly, is 50lb braid the way to go or would you go slightly heavier?

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 58
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
I started on 50, but after a few break offs upgraded to 65
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Echo7

• Cred: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 07:14:35 PM »
I went with pretty much the same combo after much research, Trevala ML 7ft with Stradic 5000FJ and 20lb Powerpro. My medium set is also the Trevala MH 7ft with Saragosa 8000F 40lb Powerpro.
Truth be told I havn't caught anything with either of these sets but from what I've read the Powerpro breaks at a much higher strain than advertised as it's thicker. Personally for boat and some land based fishing I think this will satisfy most applications.
But hopefully I will get some time to go fishing soon and try them out, at the moment I have my wife running round the parking lot testing the drag hahhaha. Desperate times, desperate measures.

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 123
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 07:01:44 AM »
Trevella mh and a gossa 8000 . 50 to 80 lbs

The thicker braid are just to accomodate guys that’s not , known to jigging .

Most probaly the most popular on the banks here .

I have caught a number of yellowtail between 10 and 18 kg on the setup.
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline gareth88

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »
Hi all,

Thank you for all the useful feedback, it's very much appreciated.

I excitedly popped into my local tackle shop to purchase the setup, and ended up leaving a little confused and without a rod. The assistant who was really enthusiastic punted a different rod, the Okuma Metaloid 7 foot Heavy. It's obviously slightly longer than the Trevela 6'6 MH, but has exactly the same specs and double-footed guides.

Do any of you have any experience with this rod, and would you still suggest the Trevela over it?

Thanks again. 

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 122
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 03:32:53 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for all the useful feedback, it's very much appreciated.

I excitedly popped into my local tackle shop to purchase the setup, and ended up leaving a little confused and without a rod. The assistant who was really enthusiastic punted a different rod, the Okuma Metaloid 7 foot Heavy. It's obviously slightly longer than the Trevela 6'6 MH, but has exactly the same specs and double-footed guides.

Do any of you have any experience with this rod, and would you still suggest the Trevela over it?

Thanks again.

That assistant is spot on, we have 4 of these rods on the boat paired with the Daiwa BG6500 and 8000, we have boxed plenty sharks some in close to 150kg pulling it up from the bottom, We landed released a Black Marlin at the boat after an 1hr30min fight, caught Tuna, Dorado, i give those rods big thumbs up, have not had one break on us and they are in a good price range too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal