Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Advice Needed Rods, Reels for Bottoms fishing

Author Topic: Advice Needed Rods, Reels for Bottoms fishing  (Read 936 times)

Offline RomP

• Cred: 0
Advice Needed Rods, Reels for Bottoms fishing
« on: November 02, 2019, 07:15:35 PM »
Hi all,
  Need some advice from the experts...

Ive been fishing on and off with family off the East Coast ( Kenton on   Sea) for many yrs. We normally go bottoms fishing for Cob or Geelbek mostly.
  I have been using an old Faithful Penn 68 ( I know its not ideal   for bottoms fishing ) but its worked for me all the years.   So now my son is 16yrs old and going on his first "deep sea" fishing trip with us in December. Time for a new reel and rod setup for the young man.
  Reels:Ive looked at the Shimano Speeedmaster4 or Penn Jigmaster 500.   From online review i understand that the new Penn reels are now made in   China     and not of the same quality. It this the same with the Shimano   ?Any other reels one can recommend or if there is someone up in Gauteng   wanting to sell any of the above mentioned 2nd hand reels, that will be great.
  Rods:
  Ive looked at the Shimano Vengeance 3050 ( 30lbs-50lbs ) stand up rod at   it seems reasonably affordable. I'll be interested in 2 rods as my old rod is past its service life. Any comments on these specific or similar   rods to what Ive mentioned ?
  Keep in mind that we not hardcore competition fishermen...We do this annually for the fun of it, but I do want reasonable equipment that will not fail on the first day out.
  Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated. Maybe also references to good shops in and around Pretoria that can assist will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:17:56 PM by RomP »

Offline Derash

• Cred: 1
Re: Advice Needed Rods, Reels for Bottoms fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:43:46 AM »
BOTTOM FISHING = 9FT ELBE EXPLORER ROD , 9 INCH KP REEL WITH MONO BACKING AND 100LB BRAID.

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »

So for me, i like to fish a bit of a softer rod when fishing bottoms.
I fish with an 8ft 12-18kg rod (Kingfisher Kingfish) and i use and 8inch KP with 100lb braid. This is my general all round bottom setup.

When targeting bek specifically ill then use a 8ft 25kg (Kingfisher geelbek) rating rod with a 9inch KP and 100lb braid.
2019 Yeld cat 17Ft with 2 x F70 yammies

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 04:14:03 PM »
Hi all,

Ive been fishing on and off with family off the East Coast ( Kenton on   Sea) for many yrs. We normally go bottoms fishing for Cob or Geelbek mostly.
  I have been using an old Faithful Penn 68 ( I know its not ideal   for bottoms fishing ) but its worked for me all the years.   So now my son is 16yrs old and going on his first "deep sea" fishing trip with us in December. Time for a new reel and rod setup for the young man.
  Reels:Ive looked at the Shimano Speeedmaster4 or Penn Jigmaster 500.   From online review i understand that the new Penn reels are now made in   China     and not of the same quality. It this the same with the Shimano   ?Any other reels one can recommend or if there is someone up in Gauteng   wanting to sell any of the above mentioned 2nd hand reels, that will be great.
  Rods:
  Ive looked at the Shimano Vengeance 3050 ( 30lbs-50lbs ) stand up rod at   it seems reasonably affordable. I'll be interested in 2 rods as my old rod is past its service life. Any comments on these specific or similar   rods to what Ive mentioned ?
  Keep in mind that we not hardcore competition fishermen...We do this annually for the fun of it, but I do want reasonable equipment that will not fail on the first day out.
  Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated. Maybe also references to good shops in and around Pretoria that can assist will be appreciated.

If you want a Penn reel look for a Penn 49 narrow spool, an old reel but works nicely otherwise a 9'' KP with 100 lb braid topshot and we use Kingfisher Couta sticks or similar. The problem with a KP is it has a learning curve 1:1 and backwinding to give back, the Penn 49 is probably a good bet with the same type of rod

when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Bassa

• Yafoor
  • Cred: 13
  • pelagic hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »
Hi all,

Rods:

If you want a Penn reel look for a Penn 49 narrow spool, an old reel but works nicely otherwise a 9'' KP with 100 lb braid topshot and we use Kingfisher Couta sticks or similar. The problem with a KP is it has a learning curve 1:1 and backwinding to give back, the Penn 49 is probably a good bet with the same type of rod

If you heading towards purchasing the penn49 narrow spool
Try and look for the metal spool instead of the breaklite(plastic) spool
The plastic spool tends to pop under heavy pressure

The idea bottom rig would be the kp reel with the drag system lock, I find it much easier to control and use
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:00:28 PM by Bassa »
when days are dark...Fish are few ...Tag it, or bag it.
Sharks swim slow before they attack.
Smile and Sail... or Frown and Drown.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »
Hi all,

Rods:

If you heading towards purchasing the penn49 narrow spool
Try and look for the metal spool instead of the breaklite(plastic) spool  :corrct: :corrct: :corrct:
The plastic spool tends to pop under heavy pressure

The idea bottom rig would be the kp reel with the drag system lock, I find it much easier to control and use
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline emjay

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 18
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
As an all rounder, I'd go for a 15 to 18kg rod with 65 to 80lb braid on an 8 inch KP. Braid is awesome for bottom fishing! Don't need anything fancy, 4x braid will be fine. If you scared of having busted knuckles on the boat from the KP, then rather get a multiplier with a decent drag. If you looking at secondhand reels and don't want to buy new, pawn shops always have a few around, however some pawn shops rip you off
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 66
  • vidalbum
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
to make things more usable i would get a decent coffee grinder and a 6/7 foot rod at least you can still use the reel for other types of fishing
saragoosa 6000 to 10000 any reasonable rod will do

vidalbum

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 08:00:49 PM »
Bottom fishing is the place where KP’s are unbeatable! Grinder are easy but unfortunately you will mess most of them up in a flash as the gearing just isnt designed for the heavy work of retrieving heavy sinkers without a lot of “pump n wind”. The Old Penns will be the best bet if you not going for a KP in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:01:54 PM by HooknCook »

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »
Each to his own and many will say an 8" or 9" KP reel and for sure they are cost effective and retrieve fast. Personally I prefer doing bottom fishing with a Spinning Reel, Sargosa 10000 is my choice which I use on a XXH Trevala. This you can use for other kinds of fishing and they great for pitching livies.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal