Author Topic: Anybody try casting kona type lures?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline emjay

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 18
Anybody try casting kona type lures?
« on: July 22, 2019, 03:34:50 PM »
Been wondering about this for a while. Want to know if anyone has had any success with this. While trolling with feathers, konas and high speed swimming lures, has anyone tried casting konas at structures like floating objects, ships, etc to maybe get something like a Dorado interested?

I don't see why it won't work. You can retrieve them faster than poppers and the smoke bubbles are sure to get the attention of some sort of pelagic. If you can catch fish while trolling with them, surely you can catch fish casting and retrieving them while trolling?

Keen to give this a go when summer comes round again
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 137
Re: Anybody try casting kona type lures?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:41:27 PM »
I am no expert but I am sure it can work, especially smaller ones. Getting enough distance might be a problem?  :dunno:

Offline emjay

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 18
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:23:37 AM »
I am no expert but I am sure it can work, especially smaller ones. Getting enough distance might be a problem?  :dunno:

I'm sure you can weight them. Change the plastic spacer beads for small ball sinkers or split shots to add an once or two

I'll try this when Dorado season comes again and report back
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »
I am more concerned about the wind resistance than the weight. I have a small kona like lure that I wanted to trawl for Garrick but have sinse sold my lagoon boat. I'll have to give it a cast in the summer and see if they will take it. Please keep us updated.  :tite

Offline Bennie Jordaan

• Cred: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
Been wondering about this for a while. Want to know if anyone has had any success with this. While trolling with feathers, konas and high speed swimming lures, has anyone tried casting konas at structures like floating objects, ships, etc to maybe get something like a Dorado interested?

I don't see why it won't work. You can retrieve them faster than poppers and the smoke bubbles are sure to get the attention of some sort of pelagic. If you can catch fish while trolling with them, surely you can catch fish casting and retrieving them while trolling?

Keen to give this a go when summer comes round again

Skirt will act as a tail and twist up on the line me thinks.

Hello.!

Offline Bennie Jordaan

• Cred: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »
This lure however has a long body and the skirt wont roll all the way back in flight. It is weighted to be cast.

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 123
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 07:47:46 PM »
I have seen small konas used by some commercial , handline fisherman , for yellowtail , on handlines .

Those guys will not use something thatís not tried and tested , so it works , which ever way.

With some many offerings to cast , one can go on prefrance in most cases ... I would prefer to throw some else , just about the resistance .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal