Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 The art of trolling Rapalas

Author Topic: The art of trolling Rapalas  (Read 16384 times)

Offline supercab

• Cred: 1
Re: The art of trolling Rapalas
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2018, 09:58:54 AM »
Morning guys and merry Christmas
I was thinking of getting some new lures but will stick to helco's then
Thanks for the feedback

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »
I been running mine for more than 6 months (probably over 50 trips) and they still good, hooks are rusting yes but nothing more than any other treble
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »
After hooking up a Black Marlin on the Extremes and not being able to leader it at the boat with 0.80mm leader I tried something new and rigged them with 1.6mm leader crimped with a saddle on the solid ring. At least if we hook another bill we can leader it.
I was worried they would not swim and would jump but they did not and swam very well with our spread, I did notice they do run slightly shallower with the thicker leader but they did not pop out at all.
I have also observed that they do not like to run well in the prop wash, but on the side they run sweet.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

DURBAN CRUISE BOAT - Harbour and Sea Cruises in Durban - www.durbancruiseboat.co.za

Offline John F

• Cred: 520
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »
Mike, my I suggest you rig them with J hooks.... if marlin is on your list it may help with proper hook ups? Do it with some dynema (GT plug style)....

My .00002 MZN
Acecraft 660 DV (Work in progress)
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2019, 08:21:35 AM »
Ok got to test the lure on Friday, pulls fast but cannot pull at 16kts.....but, I need to remove the inline single and try it as it came out of the box(then it might do as it says on the box :nuts:)
I also could not test it with the rod tip lowered to water level as I was fishing alone and the 30 won't fit in the Scottys........it also won't work on light tackle at 10+ kts as the drag has to be ramped too high at higher speeds :-(
What it can do very well is pull with conas at 8kts......and catch fish :rck" I had a triple dolly strike but only landed one - mayhem (bat  :dor: :dor: :dor:
Also got the biggest Kawa I have ever seen, over 10kgs!!

I am not sure what you call light tackle but on 30lb they do not pull any line on our boat even with drag dropped back, I have not tried on 20lb, and we have run them up to 44km an hour which is over 20 knots.

They most definitely are perfect for running with a spread

Okay, either I have a dud lure or a dud gps?!! I but the treble back and tried it this weekend, there is no way I could get it to run at 16kts(28kph) so I don't know how you got it to 20kts, it ran up to around 12-14kts but not on the plane so pointless trying whilst running, as I mentioned great for 8kts with konas but its not going to stick whilst running :dunno:
Just Fish!!!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:57 AM »
Ok got to test the lure on Friday, pulls fast but cannot pull at 16kts.....but, I need to remove the inline single and try it as it came out of the box(then it might do as it says on the box :nuts:)
I also could not test it with the rod tip lowered to water level as I was fishing alone and the 30 won't fit in the Scottys........it also won't work on light tackle at 10+ kts as the drag has to be ramped too high at higher speeds :-(
What it can do very well is pull with conas at 8kts......and catch fish :rck" I had a triple dolly strike but only landed one - mayhem (bat  :dor: :dor: :dor:
Also got the biggest Kawa I have ever seen, over 10kgs!!

I am not sure what you call light tackle but on 30lb they do not pull any line on our boat even with drag dropped back, I have not tried on 20lb, and we have run them up to 44km an hour which is over 20 knots.

They most definitely are perfect for running with a spread

Okay, either I have a dud lure or a dud gps?!! I but the treble back and tried it this weekend, there is no way I could get it to run at 16kts(28kph) so I don't know how you got it to 20kts, it ran up to around 12-14kts but not on the plane so pointless trying whilst running, as I mentioned great for 8kts with konas but its not going to stick whilst running :dunno:

Are you running them in clean water or in the prop wash, I run mine in clean water and when I tried to run them in the prop wash they did not like it and popped out

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »
Far back, 50m+..... rigged with 1m 60lb nylon, small swivel to 4m 50lb leader no clip.
Just Fish!!!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2019, 04:02:10 PM »
Far back, 50m+..... rigged with 1m 60lb nylon, small swivel to 4m 50lb leader no clip.
I have no answers then, perhaps you must try tuning it

Offline jacoscheepers

• Cred: 0
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
Thank you for a great article. Very informative. Will get some Xtreme Raps and try them myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal