Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /usr/www/users/ultimaqz/Sources/Load.php on line 2827 Fishing for Garrick using artificial fish

Author Topic: Fishing for Garrick using artificial fish  (Read 2599 times)

Offline 3M TA3

• Cred: 0
  • My Beauty of the Ocean
Fishing for Garrick using artificial fish
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »
May sound a stupid question but has anyone ever tried using an artificial fish rigged with hooks as bait for Garrick. I mean, we can throw out a live bait but has anyone ever used artificial. I have seen many trawling lures imitate fish. Cant this be converted and used as a throw bait. eg : at a river mouth like blue lagoon?????? comments please.

Offline PH

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 259
Re: Fishing for Garrick using artificial fish
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 04:32:53 AM »
 :welc: When you say "artificial fish" do you mean plugs, lures, spoons, etc.? If so, Garrick is caught on these all the time from the shore.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »
 :welc:

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about those lifelike plastic fish. To be honest I dont think it will work for Garrick, maybe Kob or Sharks if you are lucky, but just the way a Garrick eats a live bait is the problem. They tend to eat it over a few seconds in parts, as soon as the Garrick feels the plastic he will drop the bait.

They are also quite smart and cunning fish so fooling them to eat a static lure if I can call it that would be hard enough I reckon.

Offline Charles

• The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 77
  • Never ever give up!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:28:29 AM »
 :welc: I agree with WK. Movement is the key to trigger the strike therefore artificial or live baits are required. I think your question will be answered if someone can confirm if they ever caught a Leerie on a static bait such as sards, mullet or chokka.

rooiwil

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »
guys here in toti we often get garric on dead baits like whole macarel and shad.....provided you bait them up properly...live bait is first choice....but if you cant find any you have to maak n plan!

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 366
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
Ive caught a few juvenile Leeries on chokka, they do take dead bait, live bait is better. But with a static plastic fish, there might be a problem? Maybe adding some anchovy oil could help it out a bit. I would rather fish a dead bait like a full sard instead of using the plastic fish, I just think it will be really difficult unless you fish it like a lure to get a Leerie.

Offline Happy Dog

• Cred: 78
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
Chat to CLS he had a good strike rate on them last year.

Offline RobinF

• Cred: 85
  • We release everything.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
 :welc: Here is an article written by no other than Tommo (from the TV show Inside Angling). He posted this on Ultimate Angling. Thanks again to Tommo.

This article was written by Craig Thomassen back in 2004... it still   reads well. This is posted here on behalf of Craig and with his   permission. Shotalot. Enjoy.
Reefz.

Spinning for Garrick

Garrick   are one of the most popular gamefish fished for off South African   beaches. There have been some articles in this magazine about fishing   for them with live bait. In this article we will focus on fishing for   them with artificial lures from the beach or rocks.

Other Names: Leervis, Leerie.

Where Found:
Garrick   are found right around our coast, from Angola, round to Mozambique.   They live in the cooler waters of the Cape and move up the Kwazulu-Natal   coast with the sardine run each year. They move up the Natal North   coast from May to August to spawn in the warmer waters, and then return   down the Natal coast from September to November. Garrick readily enter   estuaries and harbours where they feed on mullet and other small fish.   Most tidal estuaries and blind rivers will have a resident population of   juvenile garrick in them. Garrick can be targeted from beaches where   there is a deepish channel just behind the shorebreak, off rocky points   where they must pass to reach the next bay, and near river mouths in the   surf. Generally garrick can be fished for anywhere where one would   expect them to be feeding on mullet, shad, pinkies or karanteen, some of   their favourite foods. Garrick prefer clean, blue water when hunting in   the surf. Even though they like cool water, they are affected by change   in water temperature and will go off the feed if the temperature drops,   for example if a cold current is blown in. They can be caught at any   time of the day, especially on a pushing tide. On the Natal coast   garrick are usually targeted at around dawn and dusk, but in the Eastern   Cape a lot of fishermen start plugging for them in the mid morning,   believing that the increased light intensity improves their chances of   catching these fine fighting fish.

Seasons:
On the Natal coast   Garrick can be targeted from May to November, with the best lure   fishing during September and October when they return from spawning and   are hungry and aggressive. During this time they are more likely to be   taken on lures, whereas they are caught more often on live bait early in   the season when they are on their way up the coast. They can be caught   on the West coast and the Western Cape during the summer months, when   the water is slightly warmer. The Eastern Cape coast produces Garrick   pretty much year round under the right conditions, as long as the water   is clean and warm. Peak season for garrick in the Eastern Cape is   spring, summer and autumn.

Size:Garrick grow to around 32kg

Natural History:
Garrick   are not strictly a schooling fish, but they are fairly social and tend   to move around in small loose groups. They are diurnal feeders and are   rarely caught after dark. In the surf garrick tend to move around just   in or behind the backline, coming in to shallow water in order to maraud   shoals of baitfish which are seeking shelter there. They readily move   into estuaries on a pushing tide and will happily stay up in coastal   rivers for some time. Juvenile garrick will often be resident in coastal   rivers for a couple of years before taking to the open sea to live.   Garrick in the surf will often give away their presence by viciously   smashing into schools of baitfish in the shallows, with great swirls and   splashes.

How to catch Garrick:
Garrick are extremely   aggressive predators and will take almost any lure at times. Best lures   to use for them in the surf are plugs and spoons. Plugs are generally a   better bet when the light is bad, or the water is very foamy, milky or   discoloured. Colour of plugs is not important, it is more the action of   the lure that matters. Chisel nosed plugs tend to be best for garrick,   my personal favourite being the plastic chisel plugs made by Predator   lures. These are best fished with a medium to fast retrieve without   bouncing them right out of the water. They should tumble and splash   along the surface, always keeping contact with the water. If the plug   bounces right out of the water it can cause the fish to lose interest.   Garrick will often chase plugs a long way, swirling aggressively at the   lure a couple of times before either hitting it or losing interest. The   angler should continue his retrieve at a steady rate once he has raised a   garrick, without slowing down or speeding up. This will keep the fish   interested for the longest time. Garrick are suspicious fish that will   inspect a lure carefully before eating it. For this reason fishing in   foamy or milky water can help the plug to remain realistic by   restricting the garrick’s visibility. It is also a good idea to use   light leader, no more than forty pound breaking strain, to keep the   visibility to a minimum.
When fishing spoons for garrick it is a   good idea to retrieve the spoon fairly quickly, and then retrieve very   fast every third or fourth cast so that the spoon skitters across the   surface. A slow retrieve with a whipping action from the rod can also be   effective when fishing spoons, especially when the spoon is moving   through clear water. The darting action imparted to the spoon when   fishing this way is more enticing to fish in clean water. If fishing   spoons specifically for Garrick it is a good idea not to use wire trace   at all, as they do not have cutting teeth and the visibility of wire   could put them off. Garrick are clean fighters which do not purposefully   try to cut your line on the rocks, so they can be targeted with lighter   tackle than that used for kingfish.
In estuaries or harbours garrick   can be fished for with poppers and spoons as described above, they can   also be taken on any other form of surface lure in this calm   environment. Walk the dog style lures such as Rapala skitter walks are a   favourite of mine for catching garrick in rivers. I have also taken   garrick in rivers on Mirrolures, leadhead jigs and of course swimming   plugs. Various swimming plugs will work but my favourite for this   particular style of fishing is the rebel wind cheater or a Rapala shad   rap. Fished along the edges of a drop off or the mouth of a small creek   on a dropping tide these lures have accounted for many good fish. When   fishing for garrick if you should see some fish movement such as a swirl   or a splash that looks like a chase try and get your lure into the   water in the immediate vicinity as soon as possible. These fish are very   aggressive and will chase your lure more often than not.

Tips:
Garrick   do not have sharp teeth or sharp scutes near the tail, so they can be   handled without danger of causing damage to the angler. These feisty   game fish should be released to fight another day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal