Author
Topic: Zambezi Tigers On Surface Lure  (Read 14917 times)

Offline super_daav

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 74
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
Re: Zambezi Tigers On Surface Lure
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »
Thanks Tommo, point noted.
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline shamwari

• Cred: 18
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »
Excellent fish there Tommo - must've been exciting - thanks for great report and pics.

Offline jonnyp

• Cred: 5
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »
a mouthwatering report thanks Tommo
Barotseland is now on my wishlist.......

interestingly from our lower Zambezi trip the fish I was most proud of was a 6lb off the surface on a chug bug - when I started fishing with it the gillie had not seen such a thing which made it even more satisfying. It was in a deepish dropoff around noon.
shut up and fish..............

Offline Tommo

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 219
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 04:44:58 pm »
Thanks Bruce and Jonny. Yep definitely the most exciting way to catch those toothy critters! I am a big addict of surface lure fishing in any environment, and it was immensely satisfying to get some decnt tigers on the top. I actually got a barble on a popper last season at Shackletons while fishing for tiger as well, so anything is possible. On this trip I had a Nembwe come up and grab the lure, and somehow didn't connect with a hookup, which is a pity. I guess It gives me something to keep trying for though...

Fishing is life. The rest is details....

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 03:56:16 pm »
Thanks Guys, and Ziggy, be sure to get some VMC Siwash hooks in 2/0, 4/0 and 6/0. These are definitely the hooks that get the best results on tigers. They have a large eye, very sharp point, and most importantly of all, a straight point. They are shaped a bit like a Kendal Round.

Most hooks these days tend to have the points bent in, a bit like a hybrid circle hook. For the tigerfish you want the hook point dead straight, or even slightly bent out. A bit like a traditional sailfish hook. This tiny detail makes a massive difference to hookups with these fish. I spent time with pliers actually reshaping some of my hooks to get the point right.

This improved the hookups enormously, as I was missing way too many fish with hooks with their points bent in. The pic below shows the difference between a good hok for tigers and one that will get far fewer hookups. The top hook is great for other species, but very poor results with tigers due to the point shape. The bottom hook is a VMC Siwash, which is ideal.

what is the latest thinking on hooks for  :tgr: 's there has been a big development in using Circle hooks, which I guess is akin to using the hybrid type of Mustaad Big Gun hook.

The reason I ask I'm kinda bored, so I'm making traces for our next  :tgr: soiree, which is a good few months away :-(

when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:05 am »
Lekker report Tommo thanks for sharing, the Zambezi is a special place need to get back there soon :-)

Offline yello helmet

• Get a JAG
  • Cred: 1
  • Never enough time for the Fish
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 09:18:48 am »
Lovely

Im off there for two weeks in September
Also cant wait

Offline domz

• domz
  • Cred: 7