Author
Topic: KZN Offshore - Whatzup  (Read 429601 times)

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 206
  • Deep Blue Addict
Re: KZN Offshore - Whatzup
« Reply #2020 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:01 am »
Had 4 launches over the past 4 weeks of Shelly Beach. Water generally cold and green and the summer gamefish scarce. With a bit of perseverance and local knowledge we have managed to get some nice dorado and tuna and also raised a small sailfish that didn't connect. Glad to have got the lighties some fish as well. Was also good to connect with Shaun17 and DangerDon for a session during their visit to the South Coast.

Offline Shaun17

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 262
« Reply #2021 on: January 10, 2019, 02:19:08 pm »
Shot Mark, was a lekker day out!! Always lekker to come back with a few fish in the hatch...

Nice EASY launch at Shelly and a good day on the water with some good mates!!

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #2022 on: January 11, 2019, 07:56:40 am »
Shot Mark, was a lekker day out!! Always lekker to come back with a few fish in the hatch...

Nice EASY launch at Shelly and a good day on the water with some good mates!!
Thanks bud, by the way there was nothing easy about that launch at all you handled it like a pro!  (clap)

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 121
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
« Reply #2023 on: February 04, 2019, 01:31:28 pm »
Myself, FFF and another mate Jeff, launched Saturday 02.02.19, because the Dorado have been plentiful off Durban of late our game plane was to catch and hatch a few, word was live bait very scarce so plenty guys driving the ocean flat pulling Rapalas and Konas, but lucky for us round the corner we found sweet spot loaded mozzies, mackerel and some Shad, as other boats spotted us and soon gathered we were on our way, first stop weather buoy, the current was flying along 5km an hour and after three drifts FFF said lets go nothing here, next minute my rod went and after short battle Strike Craft had landed its first Prodigal (12kg), we proceeded south where for the rest of the day we fished bottoms with live bait out but had no interests, we however did manage some decent bottom dwellers. The current slowed as the wind changed and we went to the deep but with the poison wind SE blowing we decided game over time for a beer. I suggested we pull Konas back to the club which we did, after a short while we had triple up on Eastern Tuna mayhem tangles over under bumpy sea everything and everyone soaked, i got burnt off but we landed the other 2, they weighed 6 and 7kilos. Reset 2 rods and on with a YFT 12kilo, reset the 2 rods again double up with YFT 11 and 12kilo gas bottles and finally back to base for that well earned  :beer: :beer: :beer:  what a kiff day on water, sadly no Dorries for the day.

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #2024 on: February 04, 2019, 01:52:58 pm »
Well done  :rck" methinks that when the reverse current changes we are going to have fireworks!!
Just Fish!!!

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 6
« Reply #2025 on: February 04, 2019, 03:43:33 pm »
Nice day out!! Well done

Offline Brandon

• Cred: 0
« Reply #2026 on: February 05, 2019, 07:53:24 am »
 nicely done.

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #2027 on: February 05, 2019, 09:26:41 am »
Pretty work boys, pretty work   :rck"

Offline Hammer

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 47
« Reply #2028 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:00 am »
Well played Boy's, you got some nice fish  (clap)
"HAMMERED".... The Call Of The Brave.

Offline Chigger

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 26
« Reply #2029 on: February 07, 2019, 12:13:31 pm »
  (clap) (clap):fshn: :fshn: Well don boys, long time since Ive seen a Prodigal son...nice size as well...good catch :happ:

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 67
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2030 on: February 11, 2019, 07:43:02 am »
Hi Guys,

We decided to fish the Durban Skiboat Club social comp on Sunday. It was a really great initiative as the comp comprised of your heaviest fish and your bag of plastic which you brought back from sea. combine these weights and that gives you your total overall weight.

We launched just after 5, game plan was to look for tuna first as a tuna is generally much heavier than dorado.

We pauzzled for bait but eventually found some about 300m off of Dozer and headed for Umdloti drop.

I drifted the drop off and it wasnt long before we got our first pull, unfortunately circle never set  :dunno:

Sent out another bait and this time went tight and managed to boat a nice Tuna of around 11kg.

Sent out another bait and also had another good pull, and again the circle never set. 2 pulls on the same rod without the circle setting. On closer inspection i noticed the hook was tied direct and not snelled and the fish which was landed was snelled correctly. Just shows you the difference snelling the hook makes.

Anyway, we beached just after 12:30 and weighed our fish and plastic collected. My combined weigh was 12.68kg, and i ended up wining the comp.

out of 120 anglers, we removed 42.5kg of plastic from the ocean and 220kg of fish was weighed. Mostly dorado with a few yellowfin.

Was a great day out, and big up to dsbc for this new format. Lets clean the ocean chaps.

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #2031 on: February 11, 2019, 07:51:51 am »
Nice report. Well done.

I like the idea with the plastic from DSBC. Well done
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #2032 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:11 am »
 :cgrts: Nice report, great concept and thanks for the point made on snelling a circle.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #2033 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:09 am »
Did you release undersized plastic ???  duh . Great idea  , well done .  :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2034 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:38 am »
Lekker Scott

Great initiative by DSBC, pity we missed this one, with FFF missus away the weekend, he had to take FFF jnr to cricket as he plays for KZN South team, lighty is doing well in sports but it is messing with fishing time  duh :cry: :hyst:

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 6
« Reply #2035 on: February 12, 2019, 11:57:05 am »
Nicely Done Scott!!

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2036 on: February 28, 2019, 04:40:33 pm »
Myself, FFF and FFF jnr fished this past Sunday. We did our usual trick, got some decent bottoms dwellers, some nice slinger all averaging 1.5-2kg each, we had tried several spots with live baits but no interest, the SE was slowly picking up so we decided to pull konas back to base and see if we can get similar results as the previous trip, little did we know we would actual do fantastic. Anyway we trawl with our jigging rods (Okuma Mettaloid 7ft) these rods are value for your money, with BG8000 grinders, one has 50lbs braid the others 80lbs. We were pulling blue and white konas and a purple white kona, FFF decided come in from 80m into 50m line when all of a sardine the middle rod with kona out long started  :sreel: , puzzled for a few seconds then it showed itself  :billf: whoohoo game on, under gunned but lets do our best, i was on the rod whilst FFF got the boat going and keep it where it should be and keep up with the fish, 1hr20 mins later we had him alongside the boat Black Marlin, the SE blowing and sea bumpy handling the fish was tricky, FFF had him by the bill and Jnr trying to get photos proved a bit tricky the boat bouncing around, FFF jnr was green the whole day too much sun, he had played a cricket tournament at Glenwood the whole of Friday and Sat and now whole day on boat Sunday so wee man was worried the phone goes for a swim, we got the hook out and off the fish went to fight another day. What an experience to have caught this beautiful specimen of a fish.

We have a Kosi 16ft6 boat, the tail was alongside our false transom and the head in line with forward console, so we guessing 3m and about 120-140kg, the colours on this fish are spectacularm bright luminous blue tail, purple and pink running down his body, man i will never forget this trip. The photo below is the best pic we have of him, me being a big fella and FFF holding fish, jnr did his best to get in between the two of us and get some photos, i tried loading a video clip but file to big where some of the 15 plus aerial displays he gave us.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:44:09 pm by Umpa Lumpa »

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #2037 on: February 28, 2019, 04:59:05 pm »
Absolutely brilliant.  :happ: Well done on the  :billf:
 :resp: for the fish caught on the tackle used  (clap)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:59:24 pm by Capt. Hook »
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #2038 on: February 28, 2019, 09:49:15 pm »
 :cgrts: well done
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #2039 on: February 28, 2019, 10:23:59 pm »
Lekker man :rck"
Just Fish!!!