Author Topic: MODIFIED CATS PAW KNOT - Joining a Wind-on/Twisted leader to mainline  (Read 13228 times)

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 765
Used for joining 2 loops, as in joining a Wind-on leader to the Mainline; where one of the loops (Wind-on loop) is small.

WIND-ON LEADER CONNECTION TO MAINLINE
Then we need to connect the Wind-on to our Mainline...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:58:40 PM by REEFMAN »
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Action Man

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 35
Re: MODIFIED CATS PAW KNOT
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:33:20 PM »
a beautiful 'tis is...
Tony i must give you cred for this...i only tried this for the first time on monday and was very impressed! so much quicker than your standard cats paw which i used to tie but not anymore :ayb :win:
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline aquadementia

• Spineless
  • Cred: -9
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
tried it last night and it faster to tie and neater too... have some cred! (clap)

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
Shot Action & AD...
It's quite wierd though... this knot has been published now for about 3 years, It's so much easier to do than the ordinary CatsPaw knot, just as strong, and yet so few guys even know about it?! Or are prepared to try it...? Strange.
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Mussel Cracker

• Cred: 76
  • life begins with a cooler box
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »
@Reefman...have you put the new cats paw to the test .??and what was the result...i know we have put the standard cats paws to the test and its the best knot by far...
No fish is to big for the Boksburg bomber..!

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:20:56 PM »
According to my tests, the Modified Catspaw has a slightly greater breaking strength. Nothing scientific. But because it's so much easier to do, there's no ways I'd tie a wind-on with any other knot.
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline shamwari

• Cred: 18
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »
Is there any evidence to suggest that  a "single loop" loop to loop is any weaker than a "multi loop" loop to loop or the modified catspaw ?

Thanks

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
Wouldn't a single loop to loop knot move around, and not keep it's shape? It would also probably abrade against itself because of the movement....?
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline shamwari

• Cred: 18
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
 Thanks Reefman.

I have been using a single loop on the basis of the Americans going to this system on their big Blufin Tuna casting.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/even-half-loop-loop-100-a-14296/?highlight=loop+to

This is on a braid to braid set up i.e. bimini or loop made using hollow core on mainline braid and hollow core braid used on the wind on also.

It seems to be fine and I havent had a problem yet - only used it for casting applications in both light and heavy set ups. Once its locked up it seems to hold its shape fine and doesnt seem to have any abrasion issues when I have pulled it apart.

The theory on the strength of the loop to loop is that the load is spread equally over two legs - a single loop is certainly a lot easier to get both legs very even when pulling it up compared to multiple loops.

When connecting nylon to braid there may well be be some abrasion/cutting by the braid side eg using a twisted leader - I dont know as not using that application. The modified catspaw would definitely be the way in this application...

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/loop-loop-question-15535/?highlight=loop+to

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 02:05:08 PM »
Ok I'm with you. I would imagine that Hollow core Dacron on Dacron would be fine, since the line has no memory and won't move - it will hold the knot form. I doubt whether the single loop would work very well on nylon though, the way we use it in Rock and Surf applications, due to the memory of the nylon wanting to spring open all the time...
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline BigG

• Cred: 38
  • I fish on weekends to feed the kids...
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
Ok Tony, you have converted me... I tied 2 or 3 last night, and can honestly say i will be using this method from now on, thanks mate   :win:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
Jup - for attaching wind-ons, it's silly to use any other knot!
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline fishingum

• Cred: 3
Re: MODIFIED CATS PAW KNOT - Joining a Wind-on/Twisted leader to mainline
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 06:43:22 AM »
thanks for the tut. however when i do this knot my dacron twists around and between the mono :-(;will this not make the mono cut into the dacron after some serious pressure?
thanks for any replies.P.S i also tried making the loop in the dacron bigger so that the twists are around the one leg of the loop only.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:45:48 AM by mhb »

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
thanks for the tut. however when i do this knot my dacron twists around and between the mono :-( ;

?? Not sure what you're trying to say here? Keep the Dacron tight/straight and wind it around one leg of the Bimini...  :dunno:
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline fishingum

• Cred: 3
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »
hi reefman .in ur photo's the mono coils nicely around dacron when the two lines are pulled tight,but my dacron coils around the mono  :dunno:i.e ;the other way round

Offline Sylvester

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
This is the best way to attach Wind-ons to Double lines....quick and easy. Only advice I can ad is that you must be sure that both legs of the mono pull up evenly. To do this pull the knot in slowly and use a bit of spit to lubricate the whole affair, not sure if Reefer mentioned it in the tut....I only looked at the pikchas!  :blush:

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
hi reefman .in ur photo's the mono coils nicely around dacron when the two lines are pulled tight,but my dacron coils around the mono  :dunno:i.e ;the other way round

Ok, as Sylvester said, you need to slide the mono down the Dacron (using lot's of gob) and if necessary ease the mono along with your fingers to prevent the Dacron bunching up. Takes a bit of practice.
#TheGreatAwakening

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal