Author Topic: Inhaca shore fishing??  (Read 6125 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Inhaca shore fishing??
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:20:55 AM »
Morning guys
 
I'm starting to plan a trip to Santa Maria early next year.
 
My wife on the other hand is keen to stay on Inhaca Island.
 
Never been to the island, so the guys who have been, how is the fishing from the shore?
 
I know santa maria has great fishing from the shore but if Inhaca has good shore fishing as well I'll try and please the wife and book accommodation on the island..
 
 :tkx:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »
All accommodation at Inhaca is located on the western side of the Island (Maputo Bay). This area has a wide tidal flat and seagrass beds and is heavily netted. Therefore you wont be able to do any fishing.

Staying at Inhaca your only option is to try at Portuguese island (a few strong pulls have been reported at the point in the pic below) or at the lighthouse rocky shore (which is about 6 km from the village).   

My suggestion: stay most of your time in Santa Maria. Clean, safe and good fishing. Take 1 or 2 days off and go visit Inhaca and Portuguese Island.

Nico and Tunaman recently did that and I'm sure they'll be able to provide more details. 

Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »
More pics of the village and tidal flats...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:10:19 AM »
Thank you sir, much appreciated!! Santa Maria it is  :sreel:
 
One more question, previous trips we travelled through the elephant reserve via Kosi border. I am considering driving to Maputo and taking a boat from there (the place where I plan to book arranges a boat i think) - how long is this trip from Maputo to Santa Maria?

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »
Depending on the weather (and your skipper!), 45-60 min!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:40 AM »
 :tkx:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »
No problem! Let me know if you need further assistance...

And off course let's have a beer on your way in or out!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
No problem! Let me know if you need further assistance...

And off course let's have a beer on your way in or out!

Thanks, I will definitely call on you for some info closer to the time.
 
The beer is a great idea. I'm looking at last week in Feb, I'll make sure to be there early so that we can have a cold one.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:51:48 AM »
 :corrct: :frid
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
Yip I agree with John F, stay at Santa Maria there is nothing for your wife to do on Inhaca in front of all the accomadation places not even a proper swimming beach.

 Even the fishing from the side is 10 times better at Santa Maria. I have seen some epic catches from the side this year from Santa Maria so hopefully you catch the right moon phases (which I wish I new was) tide and weather and you will be guaranteed some great catches. Even your wife can get in on the act in the bay with very light drop shot rod.

As for your entrance if your going in a group I would definitely drive through the Kosi bay border as the route seems like a great adventure, if its just the 2 of you and 1 car then I would advise going into Maputo and arranging with the lodge you staying at to colllect via boat.

My 2 bob
 :tite
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:06:23 AM by Prego »

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:10:04 AM »
Viskop Santa Maria is the place. Check out the article in latest Rock SUrf and Deep re. Hells GAte. World record Queen fish caught there.

If you are going out on a boat offshore let me know with whom. Can point you in the right direction.

Offline Zetti

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Inhaca shore fishing??
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Thanks guys.
 
Prego, we've driven the reserve road with only one vehicle, lovely scenery etc, but I would not want to break down in the reserve with no one around to help. That's why I am considering the Maputo route. Last time there my wife caught a pickhandle from the beach, that got her hooked on the fishing thing so she is very keen to go back.
 
Tunaman, unfortunately if it's only me and the wife the boat stays home. My dad and i will definitely take the boat there one day then I'll call on you for some info.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal