0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Another 3 things are important in learning how to cast a fly fishing rod, perseverance, practice and patience!WK
Very true, as I went with a higher end setup I matched is with the Floating, intermediate and sinking Rio Line. Im very impressed with them ( at the price I paid I should be )
Although I missed the clinic (I was booked but then work interfered as it usually does) the following may be useful From The Bobbin (http://www.durbanflytyers.co.za/Bobbin/The-Bobbin-June-2013.pdf) Some key points to come out of Peter Hayes’ workshop.1. Don’t clench your rod. Keep your grip loose, sloppy even. 2. When you want to stop the rod simply squeeze or tighten up your grip. The rod will stop automatically.3. The old 11 to 2 o clock thing is just that, old. Don’t do it. The arc of the rod inscribes is determined by the amount of line you are casting. The more line out there the wider the arc. 4. It is not a sin to break your wrist. 5. Tip control is everything. Get your rod tip going where it ought to and a lot of the snafus we experience will vanish.6. Don’t flap your arm about. Keep the cast in plane. That is not to say your elbow should not move. The ability to pull the rod forward (in line mind you) at the beginning of the forward cast is key to line speed and distance. 7. The trick is to put speed in the line not the rod