Author
Topic: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod  (Read 6993 times)

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »
A basic way to explain what the action of the cast on a fly rod should be is as follows: Pretend you have a hammer or an axe in your hand. Now go through the motion of cutting up a piece of wood or hammering a nail into the wall. In theory this is how you cast a fly fishing rod. In practice you need to do the following:

Start out with a bit of line and your leader, make sure they are out of the top eye, don't try to cast more line than you are comfortable with

Pull some line out of the reel and hold it in the hand you are not holding the rod with

Now hold the line tight and get your first back cast going using the hammer/axe technique mentioned aboveLet some line out on your forward cast, don't wave the rod and don't move your head but put power into the cast with your arms

Also you should never need to go forward and back on your cast more than 4 times If you do you are doing something wrong

Once you have got the casting technique right you can modify it to what you are most comfortable with

Another 3 things are important in learning how to cast a fly fishing rod, perseverance, practice and patience!

It will be frustrating and will require long hours of practice and slapping the water but once you have got it right, it will stay with you forever!

WK  :ult:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:44:00 pm by WalkersKiller »

Offline schloshd1

• Cred: 31
Re: Quick Guide: Casting A Fly Rod
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:29:19 pm »
Great info  WK :-)

The best advice I know of for anyone learning to cast a fly rod is to go for lessons with a good teacher. No amount of reading will ever be a substitute for time spent with a good instructor. w;k
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

• Cred: 58
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:07:54 pm »
Andrew, I have to agree.
If you are serious about getting into f/f, then casting lessons are a MUST.

Imagine if you have been casting a bass reel for 10 years and you would like to try the salt.
So you buy yourself an entery range Penn, Shimano or whatever ( free spool ).

Without classes you will bird's nest that line untill you have no line left on the spool :unhap :shk
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 11:57:22 am »
Thanks guys what you say is very true... Reading will not help you cast but will give you an idea of what you need to do in practice!

Offline Hooch

• Banned
  • Cred: 33
  • Fear no Fish
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:54:05 pm »
Agree with Herman and Andrew. Fly fishing casting can't be explained in theorie. Period. Learned from a Scottish double handed caster back in 2000. Personal tuition can't be taken for granted, Its the best way.

Offline Kumz

• Retired
  • Cred: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:07:02 am »
 :shre:

Offline Wynand13

• Cred: 51
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
    I recently came across a dvd called The Merge at:
  http://www.flyfishing.co.za/DVDReview.php  I would recommend this for anyone  learning to cast and wanting to know a bit more, he covers the basics from  casting to all knots needed and give some great tips on Stillwater and streams,  as well as trout and Tiger fishing. I would recommend it to anyone who want to  learn the art of  :fshn:   
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Wynand13

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »
    Totally agree on the 4 casts I use to mainly do my distance  the one just before my final cast… And then you just feel like  :cry:
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 08:17:50 am »
 :shre: Wynand!

Offline Debbie

• Cred: 55
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:01:39 pm »

Another 3 things are important in learning how to cast a fly fishing rod, perseverance, practice and patience!

WK  :ult:

Couldn't have said it better .....

I must say that I'm finding it much more enjoyable since I upgrade to my Stealth Infinity 9' 4-5 weigh Rod paired with a Shimano Biocraft Reel.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 01:15:12 pm »
Thats an awesome setup Debbie  :win:

Offline Wynand13

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:06 pm »
    The Setup makes a huge difference to your cast.
To be honest and I have said it before here a few times. The  most important is your line; that changes everything.  Among others I have a Stealth Magnum rod, as  its only a 4WT others are 5/6 and up I can say that the Magnum outcast the rest  on my style, sad thing when buying rods is that you can’t really “test drive”  it as actions vary and that means that some people just cast great with certain  rods and others don’t. I don’t have a Hardy would love to have one, but even on  my cheaper rods I get a proper cast by using higher end lines.
But good luck as said above perseverance, practice and  patience is key. Casting gets better with time, and that is time at the water practicing that is the only sure way you will master the cast.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Conservation First!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »
Awesome advice Wynand!  :+ cred:

Offline Debbie

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 07:19:22 am »
Very true, as I went with a higher end setup I matched is with the Floating, intermediate and sinking Rio Line.  Im very impressed with them ( at the price I paid I should be  w;k  )

Offline Herman Jooste

• Cred: 58
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »
Very true, as I went with a higher end setup I matched is with the Floating, intermediate and sinking Rio Line.  Im very impressed with them ( at the price I paid I should be  w;k  )

Debbie, your new rig sounds great. The Infinity is a great rod if you like a medium action with a very forgiving tip section. I was tasked to break one on the Vaal, and really abusing the rod on big foul hooked muddies, couldn't. ( 5# ).

The Biocraft reel is a copy of the Ultegra, but in a different alloy.

My Ultegra has been abused on the Vaal for 180n+ trops over the last 7 years, with being serviced ONCE  :shk

BTW, if you ever yearn to fish the Vaal, drop me a PM. I fish the river virtually every weekend, summer and winter. :nuts: :nuts:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Debbie

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:49:34 am »
Herman thanks for that. Yes Im very happy with my rig.  When I started out I bought a little cheapy which really killed my back.  I could fish for about 30 mins and have to stop. Now I fish for hours and Im loving it.

I will be taking you up on that invite very soon ......... im moving back to that part of the world at the end of the month and want/need to catch a Yellow on the Vaal.

Offline briansflyfishing

• Cred: 11
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 07:24:16 pm »
I have tried to explain the art of casting a fly line to so many people. And the end result is always the same 'Nee boet I lost you there"

To see is to understand and to do is to experience and to practice is to find result. That is how I give advise on casting a fly line.

But in the end some people get it and some just don't. Those who want to learn will succeed.

My 2 cents worth

Brian
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

Offline Wynand13

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 08:09:08 am »
I recently had the privilege of being at one of Peter Hayes`s clinics, and I must say that everything I was learned and thought I knew about casting, just went out of the door. I do think that each person should get a style he/she is comfortable with.

Offline Ziggy

• Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 182
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 08:41:11 am »
Although I missed the clinic (I was booked but then work interfered as it usually does) the following may be useful

From The Bobbin (http://www.durbanflytyers.co.za/Bobbin/The-Bobbin-June-2013.pdf
Some key points to come out of Peter Hayes’ workshop.
1. Don’t clench your rod. Keep your grip loose, sloppy even. 
2. When you want to stop the rod simply squeeze or tighten  up your grip. The rod will stop automatically.
3. The old 11 to 2 o clock thing is just that, old. Don’t do  it. The arc of the rod inscribes is determined by the amount of line you are  casting. The more line out there the wider the arc.
4. It is not a sin to break your wrist.
5. Tip control is everything. Get your rod tip going where  it ought to and a lot of the snafus we experience will vanish.
6. Don’t flap your arm about. Keep the cast in plane. That  is not to say your elbow should not move. The ability to pull the rod forward  (in line mind you) at the beginning of the forward cast is key to line speed  and distance.
7. The trick is to put speed in the line not the rod

Offline Rory

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 175
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 09:12:13 am »
Although I missed the clinic (I was booked but then work interfered as it usually does) the following may be useful

From The Bobbin (http://www.durbanflytyers.co.za/Bobbin/The-Bobbin-June-2013.pdf
Some key points to come out of Peter Hayes’ workshop.
1. Don’t clench your rod. Keep your grip loose, sloppy even. 
2. When you want to stop the rod simply squeeze or tighten  up your grip. The rod will stop automatically.
3. The old 11 to 2 o clock thing is just that, old. Don’t do  it. The arc of the rod inscribes is determined by the amount of line you are  casting. The more line out there the wider the arc.
4. It is not a sin to break your wrist.
5. Tip control is everything. Get your rod tip going where  it ought to and a lot of the snafus we experience will vanish.
6. Don’t flap your arm about. Keep the cast in plane. That  is not to say your elbow should not move. The ability to pull the rod forward  (in line mind you) at the beginning of the forward cast is key to line speed  and distance.
7. The trick is to put speed in the line not the rod

Super pointers those Ziggy. Point 4 and 5, very true, good stuff this!