Author Topic: Custom rods?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline E.T.

• Cred: 87
Re: Custom rods?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:16 AM »
ET, Has anybody ever tried to utilise fish skins in the building of rods or bags, etc.? Wahoo and Dorado have such nice leathery skins it seems a pity not to utilise them somewhere. I know that Silverton Tanners in Pta will do snake skins, etc - if they still exist.

No, I haven't tried it. I know the guys in the States are fond of using snake skins, abelone inserts, holographic wraps, etc. Not really into snake skins on a rod, cause snakes is the one thing I do not want to encounter nor touch, let alone on a rod.
Fish Skin? Now that might be something interesting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:45:58 AM by E.T. »

Offline Andre Laas

• Cred: 24
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »
Hi Koos. I was wondering how you would go from your design on PC to getting it onto the rod itself? I thought of printing on photopaper, sticking it to the rod and then covering with flexcoat, but I guess that will be fairly uneven due to the thickness of photo paper. I am about half-way through customising one of my own rods, and I would love to add something like you have shown here to add to that personal touch.

Offline E.T.

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
Hi Koos. I was wondering how you would go from your design on PC to getting it onto the rod itself? I thought of printing on photopaper, sticking it to the rod and then covering with flexcoat, but I guess that will be fairly uneven due to the thickness of photo paper. I am about half-way through customising one of my own rods, and I would love to add something like you have shown here to add to that personal touch.
Two ways of doing it.
1. Digital Print onto white vinyl and stick it on blank and cover with flexcoat.
2. Digital or lazerprint image onto clear vinyl. Stick holographic silver vinyl onto blank and then cover with the clear vinyl print on top of holographic. Then cover with flexcoat. This way the image will come alive with the holographic beneath the clear vinyl.

Hope this helps?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:35:21 AM by E.T. »

Offline Andre Laas

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
Thanks, it does help! Is this something that can be done at home on a color laser printer (where would one get hold of small sheets of vinyl), or do you need to have it printed (who would do such small jobs)?

Offline E.T.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
Yes you can do it on a lazer printer.
Try Maizey Plastics or Falcon marketing for clear vinyl. You can buy it per meter and cut it to size.

Offline Andre Laas

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »
Thanks a lot!

I should soon be able to post some pics of my first full rod make-over project.... about half-way with it

Offline PH

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 259
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »
Critter, one gets clear sheets specifically made for lazer prining that they use on overhead projectors in lectures. I will try Stanley's stationers otherwise Andree may be able to get us a sheet or two.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"