Author Topic: Dropshot / Braid / Spoons - Shad ect...  (Read 7488 times)

Offline Conrad

• Cred: 0
Dropshot / Braid / Spoons - Shad ect...
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »
Hi Guys...

Want to ask a bit of advise...I have bought a Daiwa exceller XXHS 9 ft Dropshot rod.Im using a Daiwa Exceller 3500 reel.This set up i want to use for catching Shad / Garrick / Kob ....any edibles...

Question 1 :
Is it better to use Fireline or is any braid good enough?I want to get distance.

Question 2 :
Im not sure what weight spoon or lures to go with, if any one can advise me on this?

Question 3:
Would you guys suggest i use a leader or just a steel trace?

Question 4 :
I have spoken to a lot of people about spoons and lures....So many different awnsers.What would you suggest is the most effective for catching Shad / Garrick / Kob ? S Spoons?Rapala?Jigheads?

Thanks

Conrad

Offline Homie

• Retired
Re: Dropshot / Braid / Spoons - Shad ect...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
Firtstly, :welc:

Question 1 :
Is it better to use Fireline or is any braid good enough?I want to get distance.

Fireline is a much better casting braid, but a bit pricy.
Other braids will definitely work as well, so its more to personal preference. A thinner braid will cast further, and fireline is a bit thicker than normal braid.

I have the same rod, paired with a Daiwa 3500, and i have 20lb whiplash on it.

Question 2 :
Im not sure what weight spoon or lures to go with, if any one can advise me on this?
The rod cast weight is 2 ounce, i have found that you can cast a 2.5ounce comfortably, but would rather stick to 2 !
Anything from 3/4 ounce up to 2 works well, and casts far enough

Question 3:
Would you guys suggest i use a leader or just a steel trace?

A short (1-1.5m) leader is a must, it does help with a bit of stretch when the spoon gets smashed. For shad, a shport (10cm) bite trace is recommended, but if your spoon is long enough, then maybe just a piece of 1mm leader should be fine, for Garrick etc, a Fluorocarbon leader is a good bet !

Question 4 :
I have spoken to a lot of people about spoons and lures....So many different awnsers.What would you suggest is the most effective for catching Shad / Garrick / Kob ? S Spoons?Rapala?Jigheads?

Definitely a small shiny spoon !

:tite

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 223
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
If you are after garrick or kob you will need to use straight mono leader. For shad using dropshot is a bit of a waste they generally just ruin your expensive lures. All of the methods you mentioned will produce fish at one time or another. I personally use fireline on all my braid reels

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:16 AM »
Homie, thanks for the quick reply,much appreciated!

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 764
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
 :welc: Conrad

Nice answers guys...!

Just a few things to add... Otiginal Fireline is Thermal fused line, not braid. Fireline have now diversified into proper braids, but the original thermal fused is the strongest, but also the thickest. There are many good casting "Super lines"... Fireline fused, Berkley Tracer braid, Sufix have just brought out a Thermal fused line as well, Other good lines are Power Pro, Tuffline XP... 20lb is good enough.

Those target species you have mentioned all take different lures, generally speaking. There is always the exception to the rule, but a Shad will readily take a spoon, (get some HMS spoons from Fritz!), a Garrick more readily takes a plug, and a Salmon will more readily take a Rapala.

#TheGreatAwakening

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
  :welc: Conrad you have a nice setup there! Good luck for targeting the fish, just to add I have caught some Kob on Halco Sorcerer lures, redhead white body and firetiger, size 90 would be perfect and you can throw those things miles with braid. The Halco Twisty Spoon is also a deadly lure for Shad and as for Garrick on your setup I would go for 1-2 ounce chisel and needle nosed plugs in white...  :tite

Offline Tommo

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 220
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »
Hi Conrad. The above advice is all good. What you use in terms of line is up to you, depending on your budget, availability in your area etc. The new Sufix 832 advanced superline is an excellent option, it is very smooth and round, so it casts well, extremely strong for its thin diameter and fairly priced. I would go for 20lb for the outfit you have bought and the type of fishing you are wanting to do. I would work with a 40lb leader, of clear monofilament. I really like the Sufix Zippy leader, so check it out if it is available in your local store. It is supple enough to tie great knots, yet good and strong. For drop fishing for kob and garrick you will need jig heads between 3/4 ounce and one and a half ounce. Get yourself some five inch and seven inch soft baits in a jerkshad style and in paddletails. Go for a range of colours including white, orange, olive and black or purple.
I would also get a few bucktail jigs from one ounce to two ounces, in olive and white or plain white. For Garrick try and get hold of some 2 ounce chisel plugs, you will also get them on the drop shot and bucktail, but it is a lot of fun targeting them on the surface. For kob you can use the above jigs and then also try to get hold of some krocodile spoons, around one and a half or two ounce. Rig them with single hooks with a bit of flash tied to the hook, a bit like a fly. These are excellent kob lures worked slowly near the bottom, or even jigged. 
Your best bet for shad fishing is a shiny silver spoon, it casts well, catches tons of is and lasts a long time as it is impervious to shad's sharp teeth. Smaller sizes are often best, so look at few options. I really like the slim spoon style, Sea Iron Taunters are one of the best. You can just use a 10cm piece of #4 piano wire on your spoon to stop bite offs. 

Offline Mrzipo

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
Hi can someone pls post a picture of a krocodile spoon

Offline Fritz

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
 :welc:
The guys above have given you very good advise. On the leader side just make sure that the knot that you have tied to your braid stays outside your tip eye. So you must cast a bit with the setup and you will soon find out how long the leader should be for your casting style and soon you will be into some good fish.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 764
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 07:07:01 AM »
Hi can someone pls post a picture of a krocodile spoon

One of the original Krocodile spoons... there are many varieties now...
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Mrzipo

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »
Thanks for the pic does anyone know who stocks them in durban?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal