Author Topic: Amatikulu  (Read 7011 times)

Offline ARNIE

• Cred: 1
Amatikulu
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »
Hi All
Thinking of going camping for the weekend at amatikulu at the end of the month. For some inexplicable reason, I have never fished this stretch before. Any info, bait , target species, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.Will be doing this  :fshn: , and some of this :frid and hopefully getting plenty of these fshg .
to fish or not to fish is not a question,

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 764
Re: Amatikulu
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
My 2c...

Amatikulu is different from the rest of the Mtunzini coast as it has very little structure in the form of reefs or pinnacles. The reefs here are quite far out to sea, (Glentons Reef is about 800m out) so it's mainly a beach environment, with some big gutters and some hectic currents to match. The beach is always changing at Amatikulu due to the pounding surf there and so you need to look for the rips that pull back out to sea. Almost always there is longshore drfit between the Reef and the beach, meaning that the current sweeps northwards. If you're wading... be very very careful, as this is a very dangerous stretch of coastline - many people have got into trouble in the Surf along this stretch, even though the surf looks calm, underneath, there are vicious rips and currents..

Sliding and throwing big baits is the way to go here if you're targetting non-eds. Zambezi's, Grey's and Blackfins frequent the area, plenty Diamonds, Honeycomb Rays, Brown Skates and flatties, although they are predominantly a Summer species... Many small Spinner sharks and Milk sharks around all year long - these can be great fun on lighter tackle. .
Winter edibles - Shad, River Snapper, Natal Salmon (kob) and the odd Grunter closer to the River mouth. The river itself is awesome with lots of spinning, ultra light tackle and dropshot opportunites - Grunter, Gurnard, Perch, River Snapper etc. The place is also home to the famous Tripletail or Lobotes - it's one of it's breeding grounds.

Whatever you do, be safe and  :tite
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline ARNIE

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:07:46 AM »
Thanks Reefman
So tackle wise, one outfit to slide and the light stuff for the the river.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 66
  • vidalbum
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »
you can drive for miles behind the dunes going north and find plenty nice spots and there are less people to hassel you leaving your car in the casarinas is a worry as the thieving is pretty bad.

vidalbum

Offline ARNIE

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »
Thanks Rory
I think I should rather do Umlalazi camp site. We have never had any problems there even fishing through the night.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
umlazi is fine as it is in the parks board camp, just the miles you have to walk to get to the beach.

vidalbum

Offline PH

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 259
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
umlazi is fine as it is in the parks board camp, just the miles you have to walk to get to the beach.

There is a parking area just behind the dune about 500m (?) South of the lagoon mouth. Turn right just after the entrance gate to get there. Should be safe to leave a vehicle there.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline ARNIE

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
We have not had any problems regarding vehicles at umlalazi. We normally park just behind the dunes.

Offline BJR

• Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 05:09:52 PM »
Hi Arnie ,

Was jy verlede naweek by Amatikhulu of gaan jy nog ?

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
we used to camp in the casarinas there or just sleep in the back of the truck on the beach years ago, then we stayed at the prawn shack and camped there. only go now for our club comps

vidalbum

Offline ARNIE

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi Arnie ,

Was jy verlede naweek by Amatikhulu of gaan jy nog ?

Hi BJR, I am going next weekend, but decided on Umlalazi.

Offline PH

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
we used to camp in the casarinas there or just sleep in the back of the truck on the beach years ago, then we stayed at the prawn shack and camped there. only go now for our club comps

I'm a bit confused.
The only way to get to the beach from the Reserve is via boat/canoe (to cross the Nyoni river which runs parallel to the beach for 10kms)?

Is there another road North of the Amatikulu River?
"Paint your wagon"

Offline ARNIE

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:44:29 AM »

I'm a bit confused.
The only way to get to the beach from the Reserve is via boat/canoe (to cross the Nyoni river which runs parallel to the beach for 10kms)?

Is there another road North of the Amatikulu River?
Hi PH, do not know of that as I`ve never fished there, but if it is, I am glad I decided to go to umlalazi instead.

Offline PH

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »
Arnie, since you have not been there, the lay of the land is as follows:

The Nyoni River runs Northwards just behind the dune for about 10km before it opens up to the sea. (Quite unique). The Amatikulu River makes a T-junction with the Nyoni about 2 kms South of the Nyoni's mouth.
The Amatikulu Reserve is in the right-hand corner of the T-junction.

That's why I wonder how guys get their vehicles on the beach unless there is another road that I'm not aware of. I have also seen guys on TV with their vehicles on the beach at Amatikulu.
 :dunno:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:11:50 AM by PH »
"Paint your wagon"

Offline ARNIE

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »
Thanks PH, will prepare better next time, now that I know.

Offline PH

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
It is still an interesting place to visit.
On the pic you see the T-junction at Nyoni River and the Amatikulu River just visible on the left of the pic.
"Paint your wagon"

Offline ARNIE

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 11:33:54 AM »
Will definitely visit . Taking the kids camping this trip, so umlalazi will be better.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
are you talking about the parks board camp at amatikulu as that is on the south side of the mouth. i was giving info on the north side by the mouth were there is just a camp site called the prawn shack. the mouth moves around at amatikulu but has been up north for a long time now. the lagoon itself is a bit buggered and not much more than a meter deep but can be fun if you have a small boat there are some good size bartail gunard to be caught.

vidalbum

Offline PH

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
are you talking about the parks board camp at amatikulu as that is on the south side of the mouth. i was giving info on the north side by the mouth were there is just a camp site called the prawn shack.

Yes I was referring to the parks board camp. I did not know about the other camp site. Thanks for clearing that up Rory.
Unfortunately both the Nyoni and Amatikulu Rivers are very shallow especially during low tide.
"Paint your wagon"

Offline BJR

• Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 06:41:32 PM »
Hi guys ,

Just sharing my details/experience with u guys for easy reference ;

The Parksboard site is on the Southern side of the Amatikhulu river, and can be reached by taking the off-ramp stating "AMATIKHULU NATURE RESERVE" just south of the AMATIKHULU river bridge, and on the N2 Tollroad.
Its situated next to the river , thus mainly accessing the river for fishing/canoeing etc. and to the beach as PH responded by a canoe or a lonnnng walk.

Then to the north, you will find "The HATCHERY" (Old Prawn farm) owned by Lana MYBURGH and her husband. Tel nr 035 3374969 / 0849598827.
This site is situated right opposite the cassaurinas (On the beach (Eastern)side of the river.
They are also the owners of the PRAWN Shack, which is located in the same site as the INKWAZI camp, and which is owned by locals. This site is situated on the right hand side about 500m from the parking area at AMATIKHULU beach/river mouth , and just North of the HATCHERY. (About 800 m from the HATCHERY)   

I will post all contact details of all these camps in a follow up thread.

Fishing in the AMATIKHULU river is great fun. Two years ago my friend's fiance caught a whopper Rocksalmon of 6kg whilst slow trolling a Rapala.
The perch are monsters taking on the biggest of baits and lures. Snapper kob, Springers and size Pickhandles, Kingies, grunters, huge bartails are abundant and readily take lures, dropshot etc. The river is not that shallow all over - West(Inland) from the Parksboard parking area the river is very deep , turning north along the southern bank. A friend of mine & myself had gr8 fun with the Rockies & pickhandles over the Easter and subsequent long weekend. Rockies in the region of 2-4 kg with a few most definately in the 6-8 kg class. They have taxed about 4 of my friends Rapalas and were "steamtrains" by nature !!!!     

The closer one fish to the mouth , the shallower the river, though still fishable.
If u are looking for large eds , then Mtunzini lake is the answer. I fish Amatikhulu for the gr8 fun it offers , the success in lure fishing etc. and MTUNZINI for size grunters/kob/garrick etc.
Mtunzini is more secure,safe and convenient ito having shops closeby than AMATIKHULU. Amatikhulu camps are very rustic for the easy camper !

I will follow up with more details (Telephone nrs/road map etc) on all the camps soon.

Enjoy the fun !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal