Author Topic: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers  (Read 12083 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
Just want to see the general opinions of people here.

What do you prefer?

I've used weedeater wire grapnels a lot and really don't like them. They don't sit as well as normal wire grapnels, and are a pain in the bum to store because you can't fold the weedeater wire like you can with normal wire, so they take up a lot of space. I only use them when someone else has bought them for me to use.

What do you use them for and why? I don't see how they can be better than normal wire grapnels, other than maybe being cheaper (I think?)
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
Emjay... I use the nylon graps when fishing rocky areas and for fishing beaches for eds. The nylon holds the butt of the sinker off the floor, stopping it from getting snagged. If the sinker does snag on the rocks, then pressure normally pulls the sinker free, by bending the nylon.
The steel graps are generally used for Sliding, where you need a really solid fixed point in order to slide your bait out on a tensioned line.
Hope this helps?

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
This might be a bit  :topic: but I take a bottle sinker and slowly drill a hole in it. I then use normal galvanised binding wire to make my own grab sinkers. I also take pre cut lengths with me to adjust the length of the wires according to the conditions.

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Emjay... I use the nylon graps when fishing rocky areas and for fishing beaches for eds. The nylon holds the butt of the sinker off the floor, stopping it from getting snagged. If the sinker does snag on the rocks, then pressure normally pulls the sinker free, by bending the nylon.
The steel graps are generally used for Sliding, where you need a really solid fixed point in order to slide your bait out on a tensioned line.
Hope this helps?

But if your line is strong enough, you can just pull hard enough for the normal wire grapnel to "pop" and have the wires bend backwards, thus your sinker comes out fine and doesn't snag...

You have a point regarding fishing rocky areas though, but I prefer a bottle sinker for that application. They are cheaper and easier to mould yourself, and I tend to lose less sinkers when using bottle sinkers in rocky areas compared to weedeater wire or even normal wire grapnels.

Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
This might be a bit  :topic: but I take a bottle sinker and slowly drill a hole in it. I then use normal galvanised binding wire to make my own grab sinkers. I also take pre cut lengths with me to adjust the length of the wires according to the conditions.

Definitely not a bad idea  :-)
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
I find the wire very seldom pops before your main line with lighter lines.

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
I find the wire very seldom pops before your main line with lighter lines.

Same, but you can bend the wires a bit more open so that they pop easier, that's what I do if I'm having difficulty with the wires not popping when they should
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »
It depends entirely on what you fishing for, as well as where

For eds on a sandy spot, I prefer no grapes, unless there is a wash. If a wash is present then I would use either a wire or nylon grap, and adjust the grap to suit the conditions

In rocky areas, a nylon grap is definitely better than a wire grap. The nylon grap has a springy action, allowing you to get out of snags easier.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
Sorry, hit "post" before I finished.

For sliding and live bait, I will use a wire grap, preferably with a long boom.

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
when useing grapnels i use weedeater for 90% of my throwbaits for both sharks/flatfish and edibles and only wire when there is a strong current or im not holding my rod so that it can set the hook on kob etc

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 10:47:06 AM »
In my life I think I have thrown 1 normal wire Grapnell, I use the weedeater wires whether I fish a sandy or a rocky bottom... I dont know I guess its just personal preference to me, if I start getting washed I just putting on a heavier sinker, or i find one with longer wires...

Offline Weskus Wayne

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 118
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • LEAVE ONLY FOOTPRINTS BEHIND....
  • Location: Jacobsbaai Weskus
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 02:51:41 PM »
I use the weed eater ones in the Lagoon (the baan ) when the curent runs out or in,and they hold very well,also at Tittesbaai but very seldom as I use sparkplugs there as you lose a lot of sinkers,when fishing at Macs,Strandfontain etc I use the wire ones as I have found the weed eater graples tend to lose their grip now and again....

TIP: Buy some elastic bands,wrap them around the weed eater grapples and then store them,this way you dont get all the grapples sticking up all over the place,works for wire too...
EAT / SLEEP / FISH " No more questions"

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »


TIP: Buy some elastic bands,wrap them around the weed eater grapples and then store them,this way you dont get all the grapples sticking up all over the place,works for wire too...
Thanks Wayne, Im definitely going to do that!

Offline Sylvester

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »
For me it is a species dependant answer! If targeting diamonds,as an example, I will not use a wire grapnel at all. For a lot of guys I believe it is buy what is available but a lot of guys that I fish with don't like wire grapnels at all.


Sliding sinkers are a complete other story, I don't believe it is possible to slide a big bait on a weedeater!

Offline craigb

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 321
  • Cred: 13
  • i just wanna fish
  • Location: durban
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
Reefman took the words right out  :tite my mouth.The idea of using elastic bands around the nylon graps works like a charm.Not only does it help with storage,but also helps the nylon keep its shape(bent inwards)
I'm not addicted to fishing,i can quit anytime my wife makes me.

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
I have come across this Turbo twist Nylon & Found it to be a bit more Sturdy that normal ornage nylon - 2mm ones .
i use these for the smaller sinkers from 2-6 oz ...
 
my 2c's

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 08:19:33 AM »
I had a funny situation where a 6oz nylon grapnel worked better than 9oz wire grapnel from the beach.
Squid Happens!

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
I had a funny situation where a 6oz nylon grapnel worked better than 9oz wire grapnel from the beach.

Did both sinkers have same size boom ???
I like long boom sinkers ...

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
i don't like nylon grapnels because they can let you lose fish(cob).  I'll explain why because i've seen it happen a few times.

1.  Wire grapnell folds back and doesnt really bother you again when retrieving.

2. Nylon grapnel still has those pesky arms sticking out everywhere to grab whatever it can...

3. Bear in mind this happened in an area that has a lot of kelp leaves on the bottom, the nylon grapnel picks this up like a bergie would go for copper pipe!!!

4.  There is also a lip and then it drops down fast.... all would be well till you reach the lip.  Now remember at this time on a sliding rig while the sinker is off the bottom, you are in direct contact with the fish.  As soon as the sinker hits the lip, and there is a wave/surge at the same time, and the fish comes closer to you than the sinker, there is slack line!!!! result: LOST KOB!!!!

I watched a friend of mine 3 fish like this in one afternoon, i've lost one like that as well, and another friend lost 9 fish like this.

5. Wayne same has happened to me at "die spit" in langebaan with stumpies if i'm not fishing circles.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Weedeater wire grapnel sinkers vs normal wire sinkers
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »

Did both sinkers have same size boom ???
I like long boom sinkers ...

Almost exactly the same.
Squid Happens!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal