Author
Topic: LINE TWIST - Taking control of line twist and Wind knots.  (Read 29102 times)

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 755
Re: LINE TWIST - Taking control of line twist and Wind knots.
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2019, 12:18:31 pm »
OK, so after I got my new Sustain I found out that I made a rookie mistake. If you spin with braid and use a leader, don't make your leader long enough for the knots to pass through your rod's eyes. When you cast the knots will slow down your mono slightly which causes a loop or over-wind in your braid which can then easily wrap around your rod eyes.  :blush:  I did not know this. 
Yes Homie, straf dop time!  :hehe:

Hi SAfish, I note you mention the length of your leader when spinning with braid.  I'm in two minds here.  1) I agree with your explanation and in this case it makes sense that your leader knot should be in front of your rod tip when ready to cast, as it protects the knot from catching onto the eyes.  2) I have found that if my leader is this short though, I get a lot of "cast offs", especially with heavier lures as all the shock goes into the knot/braid. When I however use a longer leader with about two/three winds around the spool when ready to cast, it prevents cast offs and I don't seem to get over-winds either. I'm using both Sustain and Stradic 4000 and 5000 reels on 8ft and 11ft Assassin Amia rods. Thoughts?

You should be using a Braid leader... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15598.0

A much stronger leader than your braid mainline, which then connects to 1m Mono outside the guides. This stops the snap offs forever.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 136
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2019, 02:24:46 pm »
Thanks Tony. I don't know how I missed this thread but I am going to switch to a braid leader as soon as possible.  :udman:

Online fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2019, 06:55:11 pm »
Just a consideration when using light braid main line to a heavy braid casting leader to heavy mono:
When you snag, and you will, something needs to give.
I like a fuse somewhere up front such that I don't break my main line off 50m up....
Aside from cost and inconvenience, there is the harm 50m of braid flapping around a beach can cause

As an example:
25lb main line FG'd/stitched to 50lb braid leader; FG'd to 1m of .70mm mono - if you snag you run a high risk of breaking off your mainline as .70mm mono breaks somewhere around 50lb... (unknotted of course)  assume 10% loss when knotted and wet it should break at say 45lb; way more than your main line.

25lb main line FG'd/stitched to 50lb braid leader; FG'd to 1m of .50mm mono - if   you snag the wet knotted mono should break first...
Something you need to think about and test when you decide on your mono dia / breaking strain

Offline Don1234

• Cred: 11
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2019, 01:23:05 pm »
Hi guys just found this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIlMd6f1qGA

Offline MadRookie

• Cred: 0
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2019, 01:56:31 pm »
I ordered one - works brilliantly once you set it up properly.

Also to accompany it I made my own line retrieval thingy

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:23:38 pm by MadRookie »