Author
Topic: LINE TWIST - Taking control of line twist and Wind knots.  (Read 28419 times)

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 136
Re: LINE TWIST - Taking control of line twist and Wind knots.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:20 am »
The auto bail reset function is the mechanism that causes the reel's bail arm to engage or click back over once the reel handle is turned...... 

In some of the cheaper reels, the force of the cast will cause the reel handle to move slightly forward, causing the bail arm to snap closed in mid-cast... when this happens you can say good bye to your lure, your leader and a portion of your expensive braid! This is called a snap off.

It is advisable to have this function removed from your reel to stop this from happening.

I recently got myself a Daiwa Exceler 4000 H and have experienced the above when I tried to get some good distance. It helps somewhat to look at the position of the reel's handle and position it in such a way that it will not move mid cast and cause the bail arm to click over but this is a schlep.
How easy is it to remove the auto bail reset function?

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 755
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 11:24:34 am »
Piece of old takkie....

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14550.msg233663#msg233663

On the Line roller side of the Rotor... this will work in almost all fixed spool reels...

(There might be another small screw underneath the Rotor as well.)

Take the Bail trip lever out completely.

Leave the Bail spring in place!!

What the Bail trip lever looks like... On the RIGHT.
This is a pic of the Bail spring and the Lever removed. [size=1.45em]Do not remove the Bail spring, leave it in place. Just take the Trip lever out.[/size]

Screw the cover back on and away you go.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline caesar

• Cred: 9
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 12:08:09 pm »
Awesome information. Wish I had this information a year or two ago. I thought braid was the biggest crap on earth. I was so peed off that I through all my braid away.
A couple of months ago I tried it again after researching it a bit on the net. I have pretty much done what you explained here and no issue again. Your explanation is by far the best. The photos helps a lot. Now I love the stuff, cast miles and I can feel every movement and bite.
Awesome, awesome awesome.
No matter what you do, someday it comes back to you.

Offline SAfish

• Ultimate Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »
 (clap) Thanks Reefz,  :+ cred:  I will do the modification tonight as I want to go and spin for Leeries on the weekend.   :hnthnt:

Offline SAfish

• Ultimate Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 02:30:29 pm »
(clap) Thanks Reefz,  :+ cred:  I will do the modification tonight as I want to go and spin for Leeries on the weekend.   :hnthnt:
This modification took me a full minute and a half.  :hehe: Thanks again Reefz.
On my way to look for some Leerie action.  :hnthnt:  :fshn: :grk:

Offline SAfish

• Ultimate Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 11:52:52 am »
The wind knots are really ruining my fishing at this stage. I have tried everything Reefz said and it still happens. The only thing that helped in the end is to twist my rod while casting so that the rod eyes face away from the wind. Let me explain, the wind is blowing from the East and I am facing South. When I cast I twist/roll the rod so that the eyes and reel face West. This maneuver helps a bit but has an effect on my casting distance. I now have three options:
1. ditch the braid and replace it with mono
2. go back to spinning with my Abu 6500 C3
3. buy a Stella (I wish but it is not going to happen  :cry:)

What else can I do?

:cnfzd :-( duh <: idt

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:07 pm »
What reel are you using? What rod? What braid?
Biggest cause of windknots is an overfilled reel!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 77
  • dis lekker by die see...
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »
This might be a stupid question but do you have "casting braid"on your reel?Reason I ask,is that I didn't realise that there were different braids for different applications...ex.backing braid and 8 weave casting braid,anyway,I lost a lot of lures too as I was using backing braid as casting braid... :blush: Since I loaded 8 weave spinning/casting braid no more wind knots,not even 1.. :rck" another thing I do is to have my mono leader knot outside the top guide before casting.It also helps to stop the line from coming off the reel with your hand after a cast,I stop the line as the plug/spoon or w.h.y. hits the water.  Obviously also don't overfill your spool with braid...
Always be humble...

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »
b.t.w. I've got the 8 weave on different makes of reel too,and still no wind-knots...Shimano stradic 5000fj,Penn Fierce 4000 frc and Daiwa Regal 3000,I don't use braid leaders so all with mono leaders with braid-leader knot outside the top guide...
Always be humble...

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 26
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 01:17:25 pm »
The wind knots are really ruining my fishing at this stage. I have tried everything Reefz said and it still happens. The only thing that helped in the end is to twist my rod while casting so that the rod eyes face away from the wind. Let me explain, the wind is blowing from the East and I am facing South. When I cast I twist/roll the rod so that the eyes and reel face West. This maneuver helps a bit but has an effect on my casting distance. I now have three options:
1. ditch the braid and replace it with mono
2. go back to spinning with my Abu 6500 C3
3. buy a Stella (I wish but it is not going to happen  :cry:)

What else can I do?

:cnfzd :-( duh <: idt

Sorry to hear of your frustrations! What PE rating braid are you using on your 4000 size reel? In other words, is it designed for the braid you are using? For example, on a Stradic 5000 reel you will get wind knots if you go below a PE 1.5 braid, because the spacing washers cannot correct the braid coning sufficiently. Same happens if you go too high PE rating on the 5000 (cannot remember what the upper limit is for the 5000, somewhere above PE 2.0). Matching the correct PE rating braid with the correct spacing washers inserted below the spool solved my wind knot problems 100 percent! And you can fill the spool to the brim and no worries about having to keep the braid tight during retrieval of the lures. Come wind or no wind.

For example the standard 8-weave Gosen 25 lbs is PE 2.0. But the 25 lbs Gosen jigging braid is thinner and has a PE rating of 1.5. So on my Stradic 5000 I can still go lower than 25 lbs standard Gosen, but nothing lower than 25 lbs if I spool with the jigging Gosen.

Offline SAfish

• Ultimate Hero
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:33 pm »
Daiwa Exceler 4000 H, 9ft Vengeance rod and if I can remember 15lbs Gator casting braid. I am not 100% sure of the braid and will have to check. The reel is not over filled and have about 3mm space left below the lip of the spool.
I don't have any problems until the there is a cross wind.

Offline SAfish

• Ultimate Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 01:29:21 pm »
Sorry to hear of your frustrations! What PE rating braid are you using on your 4000 size reel? In other words, is it designed for the braid you are using? For example, on a Stradic 5000 reel you will get wind knots if you go below a PE 1.5 braid, because the spacing washers cannot correct the braid coning sufficiently. Same happens if you go too high PE rating on the 5000 (cannot remember what the upper limit is for the 5000, somewhere above PE 2.0). Matching the correct PE rating braid with the correct spacing washers inserted below the spool solved my wind knot problems 100 percent! And you can fill the spool to the brim and no worries about having to keep the braid tight during retrieval of the lures. Come wind or no wind.

For example the standard 8-weave Gosen 25 lbs is PE 2.0. But the 25 lbs Gosen jigging braid is thinner and has a PE rating of 1.5. So on my Stradic 5000 I can still go lower than 25 lbs standard Gosen, but nothing lower than 25 lbs if I spool with the jigging Gosen.
I am not sure what the PE rating of the braid is and will have to check if I still have the spool. I normally keep it for reference but after we moved to a new house it might be gone.  :-(

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:24 pm »
Daiwa Exceler 4000 H, 9ft Vengeance rod and if I can remember 15lbs Gator casting braid. I am not 100% sure of the braid and will have to check. The reel is not over filled and have about 3mm space left below the lip of the spool.

Did the reel come with spacing washers and are you using some of them? This is a critical factor!

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

The Exceler is not the greatest reel for Windknots. Also had problems with mine for years. The Taper of the line lay is suspect, usually a reverse cone, which causes havoc. Make sure that the taper of the line lay is in a cone shape, (more at the bottom than at the top). If not, then you need to add a spacer washer to try fix it. I eventually resorted to using a standard aluminium thick washer to get the line lay half decent. I remember Ziggy also had a serious issue with his a few years back and eventually insisted that they replace the reel.
Think the problem was rectified in the new Exceler Z's, but the old one's - the Exc plus, Excel E etc were very bad.

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Ziggy

• Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 182
  • Teeth that bite!
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 01:48:10 pm »

The Exceler is not the greatest reel for Windknots. Also had problems with mine for years. The Taper of the line lay is suspect, usually a reverse cone, which causes havoc. Make sure that the taper of the line lay is in a cone shape, (more at the bottom than at the top). If not, then you need to add a spacer washer to try fix it. I eventually resorted to using a standard aluminium thick washer to get the line lay half decent. I remember Ziggy also had a serious issue with his a few years back and eventually insisted that they replace the reel.
Think the problem was rectified in the new Exceler Z's, but the old one's - the Exc plus, Excel E etc were very bad.
:corrct:  -  and now I buy only shimano!! Mainly because of the bad customer service I received form the Daiwa dealer who claimed that it was a "problem with the computer" inside the reel - I mean, I may be a bit dof but.......??????

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »

Jip a reverse cone is absolutely fatal! Coning less at the top than at the bottom is far safer as long as this is not excessive causing a void (gap) to form between top of the braid and the upper spool edge. Braid coils will fall in on itself into this void, and this causes windknots.

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 01:54:15 pm »
The coning on my Stradic 5000 with Gosen 25 lbs (PE 2.0) braid filled to 1 mm of spool lip. Braid packing at top and bottom of reel is identical. No windknots with this setup, which I use for 2-3 hours every day for 5 - 6 days per week.

Offline SAfish

• Ultimate Hero
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 01:55:09 pm »
Did the reel come with spacing washers and are you using some of them? This is a critical factor!
Not that I know of and will check the box.

I wish I knew this before I got the reel. The reel is definitely not laying the line in a cone shape but equal top and bottom. Any idea how thick the washer should be? If I can't fix it I will have to get another reel, not a Daiwa again, possibly a Shimano. 

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »
now that you guys mention it...my Daiwa regal 3k also cones..thinner top than bottom of spool,checked the box and found no spacing washers,I then added an alluminium washer to the bottom of the spool,now line lay is better but still not perfect,at least the wind-knots are gone... :-) for now.. :-(
Always be humble...

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »
This is what the spacer washers look like on the Exceler... 2 weren't enough to sort the line lay out and I added an Aluminium washer about 1.5mm thick between the 2 plastic ones...

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening