Author Topic: Advice on Bronze bream fishing that went wrong  (Read 473 times)

Offline JLP

• Cred: 0
Advice on Bronze bream fishing that went wrong
« on: March 30, 2021, 08:34:34 AM »
Hi guys,

I went fishing 2 weeks ago with the boys around Port Edward to target edibles (scratching). I must say, it was one of the worst weekends of fishing I have had in years!!

I was on first with a eel, which forced me to change my leader and trace setup, as Ive heard of stories that if you catch an eel you wont catch for the rest of the day.

Within the next 7 hours of fishing with my mates, at the same spot, I caught:
2 shad, 2 Karras and a black tail.

Between 2 mates, the following was caught and released:
25 shad, 9 bronzies, 5 Black tail, 4 rock cod and 1x 6 kg Kobbie.

Bait used: pink prawn and sardine

I used a 11 ft (6oz tip) rod (I was told it may be too stiff???), An Azores reel with braid and used no.2 hooks with 3oz sinkers. EXACTLY the same trace was used as my mates but I was left behind in catching fish. swr <:

I kept on feeling bumps and striked as they felt kind of solid to me. Later I was told i was striking at everything from being frustrated.

Any tips on targeting bronzies and scratching?

I have since bought some 1/0 circles and will attempt to try fish with circles (and not strike). Hoping that this will assist me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

cheers :ult:

Offline adam

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 138
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
Re: Advice on Bronze bream fishing that went wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 09:12:44 AM »
Did you use a sliding or fixed trace?  Was the water working or calm?

I have found that a limited sliding or full sliding trace works better.  In calm conditions most of these species tend to nibble and let go as soon as the feel resistance.  Resist the urge to strike when you feel a nibble, but rather drop the rod tip till you feel the fish pulling away.
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline JLP

• Cred: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 09:16:30 AM »
@ Adam,

I used a single hook, fixed trace.

Will definitely give that a try. Thank you

Offline adam

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 138
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
Some fish like  :blktl:  and  :gljn:  tend to grab and go, hooking themselves on a fixed trace.  Bronze bream are classical nibblers, as a part of their diet is plant material.  They also tend to prefer calmer water due to their feeding nature.  I usually only fish with fixed traces from the bricks, but if I know I am going to run into bronze bream, I switch to a sliding or at least a limited trace.  This is especially important if the water is calmer.  You can also try to fish as light a sinker as possible if the casting distance is not too far. 

Best hookup rate I've had is with an ultra-light setup with tiny ball sinkers at a distance of 10 - 15m in calm conditions.  This is while the other guys were struggling with heavier setups. 
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline hrogers

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 21
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 04:06:33 PM »
Not sure if it is stories when you catch a eel that nothing else will bite on that hook.
I caught an eel and still used the same hook over and over again and still manage to catch a Grey Grunter
2 Catfish ( seabarbel)as well as a large spot pompano.
the eel bit me on the finger when i tried to unhook it.
Not much pain after the eel bit me, only a lot of bleeding till I stopped it.

Offline Nooduck

• Cred: 13
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »
Hi JLP

Man I feel your frustration!!
For nearly 5 years, every December, my mates will haul out Bronzies one after another whilst I just catch other fish.
I used their traces and  bait, even let them bait up and cast for me- NADAAAA.
Two years ago whilst scratching (I didnít even try for Bronzies) I caught my 1st one by pure luck.
In December I targeted Bronzies and I caught a few. My daughter also landed her first Bronzie.

I use a non sliding trace, hook length of 800mm and a sinker line of 900mm.
Normal J hook with a bright orange float 100mm above hook.
Bait mostly prawn

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 39
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 06:09:01 AM »

My experience with bronze bream fishing is this: line to a 3 way swivel, 2/0 hook, whatever sinker. After you have cast in, and the line is lightly tensioned so that you can feel the fish if it takes your bait, suddenly without feeling anything, the line goes a bit slack. Pay attention, and reel in every so slightly till the line is lightly tensioned again, and if it goes slack again, definitely a bronze bream. This may happen a number of times. The trick is to wait for the rod tip to be pulled quite hard before you strike.
What happens generally though, is that when nothing is happening, you tend to daydream a bit, and miss the signs!
I have also had them take the bait like a normal bream (blacktail etc.). Once again, do not strike on the nibble, but wait for the tip to be pulled down. Sometimes all they do is nibble, and never seem to pull the tip down. This can be frustrating, but my experience is that striking on a nibble seldom catches anything, and leads to greater frustration.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 765
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 07:47:48 AM »
To me, a 6oz rated tip on an 11ft rod is way to stiff to scratch with. Scale down lighter and you'll have much more feel and action in the rod tip.
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 39
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »
Agreed Tony. I do most of my fishing with one of the 2 Berkley Airs that I have. I have caught up to a 10kg cob on these little rods. Much more fun with lighter tackle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal