Author Topic: HITW trip feed back  (Read 448 times)

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 39
HITW trip feed back
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »

We were supposed to go down to Hole in the Wall in June, timed to coincide with the sardine run, and to get out of JHB winter for a week, but covid19 killed that plan - dead in the water. We finally got stressed to the point where we threw together a LMDC (last minute dot com) trip with 5 of us coming from JHB, and a friend Graeme (formerly GL on this forum) from Port Alfred.
We left Friday morning 6th of Nov at around 06:00, 5 of us in a Toyota Prado, pulling my trailer with all the fishing stuff, food, and clothing. Back of the Prado was also packed, so 3 on the back seat. Not too bad, as none of us is particularly large. Arrived at HITW around 18:00'ish.
The road from Mthatha to Coffee Bay was badly potholed but the rest of the trip was OK. The 17km sand road  from Mapangubwe Store to HITW was good.
Days flowed one into another, so can't remember all in the right order. We fished various spots in and around walking distance from the cottage, the queen, dumba town, at the hole, the ledges, and quite a bit at little shelly, little danger and black rock. Little shelly produced some magnificent bronze bream, with my son Simon catching the biggest I have ever seen, on a Berkley Air 9ft extra heavy spinning rod with an old Sustain 5000FB reel, and using nylon (go ahead and shoot me down all you braid lovers). Was a bit concerned for my rod, but it handled it beautifully.
The hole was quite silted up, making crossing the river very easy.
We had a bit of rain while we were down there and the river did come down and make the water in from of the hole and around to the queen quite brown. We were hoping to catch a cob or 2 at the hole, but did not get anything there, although some of the locals did (they also caught some at the cob hole, at the bottom of the queen). Tony caught a beautiful cob measuring 1 meter and a bit (plus another 5 - 10 cm) at dumba town, on the late afternoon, when he stopped there on his way back from little shelly, for "just a last cast". Unfortunately none of us joined him for a last cast. Our gilly stayed with him, and immediately baited up and threw in, managing to hook another cob, but unfortunately the line parted and the fish was lost.
Our newbie, Rowan, caught a small sand-shark from the queen, giving him a huge rev for his first fish
We also tried Mapuzi, for the first time. What a great spot. We had to fish in a howling north-easter, but when you only have a few days to fish, you fish!! I slid out a nice mackerel, and had a pull on it. I suspect, with really knowing, that it was a Garrick. It took the bait beautifully between the 2 hooks, had a nice chomp, and dropped it and left. Some of the guys did a bit of snorkeling and spear fishing on the sheltered side while we rigged up on the windy side.
Some of the other fish that came out included a small stumpie, a cave bass, and a rock cod.
Locals were pulling shad out from the queen, and taking home to eat. Can't really judge a man for needing to eat and to feed his family. they were at least 40 cm plus. Nice size.
We missed the crayfish and shad, as they were closed season for both. But, hey, a fishing trip at any time is better than no fishing trip. We are planning another trip for June next year.
I will see what pics are on my camera, and what I can retrieve from the cell phone, and post any relevant ones in due course.
We left Saturday morning at 04:15, and were back in JHB by 15:45. We stopped very little on the way back, just the odd roadside stop to change drivers and relieve the bladders, and once for fuel. We had stocked up on padkos before we left, so there was no need to stop for food. Helps to make a shorter journey.
Both going down and coming back we went via Bloem, Aliwal North, Elliot, Ugie, Mthatha. The road was great, very little traffic, with only 2 stop goes between Bloem and Aliwal North. One extra stop go for an accident just before Aliwal North on the way back.

Ian

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 58
Re: HITW trip feed back
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 09:08:16 AM »
Sounds like a great trip and welcome getaway after lock down!
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 02:55:06 PM »
Sunrise from the cottage at HITW

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
Rowan's 1st fish, caught on the queen

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 02:57:42 PM »
Fishing on the queen. For those who have not been there, you are quite high up off the water

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:58:51 PM »
Lovely Bronze Bream caught at little shelly. One of the favourite spots for bream

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 03:00:33 PM »
Fishing at the hole. It had rained, so the river came down a bit,,,,ideal for a young cob. see how silted up it was in front of the hole

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:01:38 PM »
For those who have never been there.....some idea of the size of the hole

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 03:02:30 PM »
10kg plus cob, caught at Dumba Town, next to the hole

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 03:03:29 PM »
My first sight of Mapuzi - definitely worth another visit

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 03:04:24 PM »
Fishing with slide bait out at Mapuzi - what a nice spot.

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 06:21:51 AM »
Great report  :tkx:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 764
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 06:48:09 AM »
Nice report Ian! Glad you guys got some fish! :+ cred:
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 223
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »
My first sight of Mapuzi - definitely worth another visit

A very popular spot with GP fishermen :creep:   :gprlz: :ult:

Offline Ettienne

• Oupie
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 23
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 02:54:09 PM »
Thanks Ian. Great to see these pictures of HITW. Been there once when i was a piekannien  (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap)
When you are on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you’ll ever get.
Jack Leonard

Offline demon

• Cred: 1
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »
Hi, thanks for the report, nice

Offline Nooduck

• Cred: 11
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »
Nice report Ian  :+ cred:

Can't wait to get to the Transkei again, hopefully the 22 if they don't close the borders again....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal