Author Topic: Braid snapped  (Read 331 times)

Offline Bugs1280

• Cred: 0
Braid snapped
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:26:04 AM »
Morning all.
Hope you can help. I have been trying my hand at spinning, with not much luck(more to do with location and kids running around). My problem is that I have lost 4 lures due to the braid snapping. Should I cut the briad after the day out, at the point where the briad and the eye makes most contact?

Offline John F

• Cred: 520
  • Virtus et Honos
Re: Braid snapped
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
Check if the braid is not rotten... cut a section of half meter,  wrap it around your wrists and give it a good, sudden pull to see if it snaps (which braid is it? Lb?)

... and/or ...

check if you have a nick in one of the guides... it is probably cutting you braid under pressure...

if not,

Try to put a stronger braid as a leader (Reefz has a tut about this somewhere in the forum).

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Bugs1280

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »
Thanks. Will check the guides and test the line as well.
I am using 10lb braid not sure of the brand.

Offline Kwade

• Cred: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
Braid tends to get weaker the more it's used, as mentioned before it appears rotten especially if it has been used but hasn't gotten wet for a long time (I once read the once braid is use, the fibers remain tightly together because it holds moisture, only drying completely after a few months, once it drys it causes the fibers to expand and separate thus weakening the braid) and anything abrasive against the braid will cut it under tension, this is usually your rods eyes (I never thought it possible when I started using braid but a abrasive eye cost me a few lures one day, I even lost one in a cast because the braid was so damaged from a eye)... Check your eyes and your braids condition, what I recently started doing was only spooling 65m of braid on a reel because I don't cast a lure further, then after about 6 to 8 sessions (depending how the braid looks) I cut it off and put the next on, I use boss finesse braid which comes in 200m rolls so that gives me 3 new lines on my reel over a period of 4 to 6 months (so that equals between R20 to R30 a month)...

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 763
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:47:10 AM »
Are you using a Braid leader? If not, then you will continue to have snap offs.

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15598.0
#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline AndreRZA

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
Are the snap offs happening on cast? I lost far too many expensive lures when I started spinning and the biggest change I made to remedy this was to start using a heavier weight leader. Once I started adding around 2 rod length leader of 20lb fluorocarbon, tied to the braid mainline with the FG knot, my snap offs on cast stopped. This puts the load of the cast on the stronger leader line, which is wrapped a few turns around the reel instead of on the weaker main line. I believe the rule of thumb is to use 10lb line weight for every 1 ounce you're casting; so 20lb should manage 2oz. I haven't used a braided leader, as in REEFMAN's link, but want to give that a try myself when I have some spare cash and time.

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 14
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »
What brand braid and what breaking strain.

What lure weight(s) are you throwing typically?

The 4 break-offs you mentioned, same as typical lure/weight or were you tossing something heavier than you normally do?

I would avoid a long mono leader, as the differential in stretch, not the knot, can cause havoc
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:44:16 AM by fishatic »

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 763
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »

I would avoid a long mono leader, as the differential in stretch, not the knot, can cause havoc
Agree with this. Rather go Braid leader.
#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline soupcan

• Cred: 3
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
I would check the line lay of your braid on the spool.  Almost every time I have lost a lure from snap off in the cast, was because of the line not coming off the spool correctly.  Look into what perfect line lay looks like, and if yours isn't exactly right - thin 10LB braid will almost always bunch up in the cast, causing a wind knot and snap off.

If the line does not have a very slight taper on the spool, with the thinner part facing forwards, you will wind knot.

I purchased a Chinese brand spinning reel last year that I'm going to have to bin because no matter what i do, it's line lay is poor and will simply cause multiple wraps of line to come off the spool in the cast. The line snaps like a bullet on every second cast and it's R1000 totally wasted.  The reel was purchased from AliExpress and is called a Piscifun Spartan - NEVER buy one.  I have had several smaller bass reels from them that were very good, and excellent value for the price, but this is their most expensive reel and I thought it would be amazing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal