Author Topic: Galjoen  (Read 383 times)

Offline Vaaliebassman

• Cred: 0
Galjoen
« on: July 15, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
I am struggling to catch a Galjoen (or any other fish) as this is my first time the Western Cape (moved from Gauteng 6 months ago). I have been trying Betty`s Bay mostly. Was thinking of going to Hangklip next. Has anyone been there lately and where about in that area can I try?

Have been trying the normal baits: Red bait, Prawn etc. Also not sure where to get blood worm as it seem it might also be working this time of the year!

I must also say I have been taking the family along and am a bit restricted to certain areas! If need be I can get a someone to look after the kids so that my wife an I can have a go at it!

Thanks!

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 30
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
Re: Galjoen
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 02:40:31 PM »
Get a guide for a day and learn learn learn!...otherwise use what bait is getting washed out..go fish for them on the right days, throw in the right places..right on the mark..then you'll find them..I've never fished bloodworm for them LOL..though sure it will work, earthworm probably will...throw whatever bait infront of a feeding fish ;) Put all breeding stock back to make more...I love galjoen!

Offline Vaaliebassman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 06:15:28 PM »
Thanks...I fortunetly catch and release!

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 122
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 06:59:51 PM »
I typed a lengthy , reply . But somehow , erased it ....

Just a word of caution , the rocks between Gordonís bay , and kogel bay , are DANGEROUS . And hold very lil if any galjoen , for a number of reasons , itís deeper water , galjoen feeds close , that area picks up a looooot of swell in winter , and die coastline  handles it even worst .

I can suggest , you try , ronneklippies , white white mussel .
Directions .
Go past kogel bay resort , and beach , the next picking area , there are grass banks , with small bolder sized rocks , in the past we caught lots of them there , if you back track , in the picnic area , you will see a tidal pool , some nice gullies on the GB side of the pool .

Strand holds  galjoen , think the place are called harmony park , Basicly between harbour island and greenways .
Donít know , we got our galjoen there , fish the foamy patches of water . Itís not Safe for your car , and th strand you might know , has been hit by what seems an ever engaging CRIME WAVE .

BEtties bay .
Dawidskraal , fish redbait , area needs SW wind , generally the main beach will have more of a wave to surf than a place to fish , in NW
Wind .

Hang klip is worth a cast , thing that we have noticed , if you donít get proper bites , in 3 or 4 casts/ Rebaits , move albeit maybe even 10 or 20 meters to a side , or change the area you have been casting , changing it up , and punching a few cast here and there WILL be more productive , as to wait and sit it out for the tide .
Donít move constantly But if your loosing loads of tackle , and the tides washes you around and the condisions are not so ideal  , read up and trust your gut .

Galjoen are a strange fish , one day they can be full up . The next day or hour gone .
There are defiantly times where they prefer a white mussel over , a redbait , keeping worm out of the bait box for now .
They can also bite very very skelm , and strip your bait , without any warning .

Galjoen , you are looking for white foamy water , not too rough , but it has to be working nicely , that means strong enough , so natural baits can be washed open and off rocks for galjoen and other fish to feed , hereís where you trap the m by putting a bait with a hook .... ha hah ha .
They are strong swimmers , but strong currents and rips , we face other challenges , so keep that in mind .

Down in Struis , we prefer a really vrot redbait ( hence me not fishing so ofthe nfor them ) Basicly in a late stage of decomposition , itís without a doubt , they work better that the fresher stuff for galjoen .
Our crackers , we target with the freshnest redbait we can find , but will often catch galjoen on cracker traces .

The trace you should use in the area you mentioned .

Short 25 to 30 cm sinker line . 3 way swivel . And a 60 cm hook line 1/0 and 2/0  bait holders are the AK47 of galjoen hooks , and cheap .

Offline Vaaliebassman

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 06:54:25 AM »
Thanks Lenny for the great reply!

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 45
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »
Dawidskraal, white mussel will get you more fish
Proper red bait will get you bigger fish
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Vaaliebassman

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »
Thanks Marthin!

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 45
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
Also note very very well, what Lenny has said about Kogelbay to Gordonsbay.  There are galjoen to be found, however this area is extremely dangerous.  I very nearly died there one morning, I was just very lucky.
I've never been there again.

Mostly ineds from Steenbras to Gordonsbay, Galjoen spots are from steenbras to Kogelbay.  His spots at Kogelbay is spot on, again they are there or they are not.  You can get 7 - 14 fish in a day, or blank the next.  Some spots work better in a very big sea, others will give fish in almost flat water with a bit of colour, and everything inbetween.  Best advice is that you DONT have to cast far for galjoen.

This fish was caught on the edge of the sand you can see on the shorebreak behind him... 10-15m cast
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Vaaliebassman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »
Thanks Marthin noted.....I think I am trying to cast to far! Will try the suggested spots.

Offline travelmember

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 48
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »
I can just echo the distance and locations along Steenbras area.
I fish from a small duck often and will cast towards the rocks - often bouncing a sinker off of them into the foamies below. Most R&S guys would be casting way past where I would be sitting.....

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 122
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 07:14:36 PM »
Another place , are behind the ocean basket , in harbour island ,dunno,the guys ther donít adhere to limits and sizes , so donít know if itís fished out . Could probably be .

Offline Vaaliebassman

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 06:48:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies and advise! Will report once I get something to show!

Offline adam

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 138
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »

Will obviously differ from area to area and by no means am I saying our "cowboy way" in the eastern cape will work in your waters.

Note in all these reports - very rough water and strong winds.  9/10 times this will be the case.

As the guys said, if conditions are good, sometimes you only need a 10m cast.  This is by far the most satisfying way to catch them.

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9298.0

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=22974.0

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10154.0
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline Vaaliebassman

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »
Thanks Adam....proper Gallies there in the EC! I wonder if the WC Gallies also gets as big? I will definitely try the short cast method! :hnthnt:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal