Author Topic: Wicked Baits  (Read 333 times)

Offline SurfnTurf

• Cred: 0
Wicked Baits
« on: July 01, 2020, 07:11:58 PM »
Hey all,[/size]So this is the first of what I hope will be many. I won't add a link to the original unless an admin tells me it's fine- don't want to step on any toes.The company in question is Wicked Baits, they may plastic baits for bass fishing and are based in KZN. If you have any questions, complaints or comments, please do share- I can only get better through criticism.Wicked Baits

The manufacturer
-From the get go, Ryno was impressive- as willing to give advice as he was to listen to customer requirements. One of the reasons we turn to small business is the personalized service and Wicked Baits lived up to this expectation satisfactorily. Effort was top notch and I was kept up to date with proceedings at every juncture- considering this was right in the middle of the lockdown, the predictability it provided made for a nice change.

Pricing
-Another pleasant surprise in that I paid R500 for 72 plastics ranging from senko-style worms and curly-tail grubs to craws and paddletail swim baits- all in a variety of colours. Oh, did I mention that this was inclusive of Postnet delivery?

Turn-around time
-Initially I placed my order in the 29th of April- right in the middle of our amazingly efficient lockdown- and the baits were done and ready (made to spec) on the 3rd of May (payment reflected on the 2nd). While I only received the package towards the end of the month, this was purely due to regulations- Ryno had gone out of his way to find a courier that might be able to ship them to me in Pretoria, so I have no complaints here.

First impressions
-When I picked up the order from the local Postnet, I couldn’t wait to get home and so decided to have a look at my toys the moment I got in the car- I have no shame in admitting I was like a child sneaking a peek at what’s under the Christmas Tree.
The plastics were sorted by colour and I was impressed right off the bat- colours were good, texture seemed promising and with so much variety, I couldn’t wait to give 'em a go, so off I drove to the first of 5 venues, a great big smile on my face.

Action
-If it needed to swim, it swam convincingly, if it needed to wobble, it wobbled (mostly), if it needed to… well, you get the point. As you’ll see, I was particularly impressed with the paddletail swim bait- whether I popped it, used a steady retrieve or slapped it onto a dropshot rig, it did what I needed it to do.
The one thing I did note is that the worms were a little stiff for my liking, but that’s the price you pay for durability. A quick swim in boiling water and they bounced around in a satisfactory way.

Durability
-As stated, durability was impressive- where fish were involved, I can’t recall a single premature tear. The only problem I ran into was with craws and crabs, but who hasn’t lost plastics to the pinchy little… darlings.

What I liked
-My favourite pick, by a country mile, is the paddletail. They are officially my “go to”, owing to their versatility and ability to produce a bite. Whether I’m fishing for a new spot or starting off a day, I’m texas rigging one of these beauties- no contest- and seldom do I move onto something else without landing a few fatties first.
The senko-style baits were okay before boiling and a winner after, and when all I could find was the smallies, the curly tail grub delivered the goods.

What I didn’t like
-No matter what I did or how I fished them, I just could not get a bite on the 3-tailed grub. It could very well just be me and my ignorance, but I just couldn’t make it work and tried everything.
I also had hardships with the craws, but I suspect they’ll be a serious winner when the spawn comes around.

What I would like to see going forward
1)While durability is important, I really feel that the worms would benefit from a little more action, especially in winter. I use them (predominantly) as a finesse “bait” and I’d like a little more “wiggle” in my worm.

2)More and more, we see plastics built specifically for dirty water- not in colour, but in design. When visibility is down, vibration is key and I would like to see a few options which fill this niche.

3)It would be good to see a micro version of the paddletail for use on a micro setup- it’s not always about size and having something to throw in tandem with the curly tail would be nice.

4)Lastly, I’d love to see a dedicated topwater option- something like a “Horny Toad” derivative. It’ll round off the collection nicely and means all my needs are covered from deep drop-offs to lily pads.

Conclusion
-What can I say that I haven’t said above? The plastics are awesome, the service is impeccable and the price is just right, throw in the fact that the plastics are manufactured locally and it’s obvious that “Wicked Baits” is a solid option.

Manufacturer details
Ryno Pieterse
081 330 7316
[/size]

Offline SUPER ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Cred: 38
Re: Wicked Baits
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:28:40 AM »
Got no problem if you post a link. If it helps people, it's all good. Just so long as you don't have a financial interest in the company.

Offline SurfnTurf

• Cred: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
100%. As I said in the thread that was removed from the forum, this is simply my way of trying to help out. There is no benefit for me other than knowing I'm doing my bit to help local business. It comes out of my own pocket and my own time, which is partly why I find it so odd that I'm receiving such resistance in general.

Offline SUPER ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Cred: 38
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 01:29:12 PM »
What thread was removed from the forum?
 "receiving such Resistance in general" - got no idea what you're talking about bud?!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal